Ferry Isle of Wight - Ouch!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi Guys.
    My mum lives in the IOW and I plan to go visit her in September, but due to lack of holiday have to go after work Friday and come back Monday (leave 23/9, return 26/9).
    I'm being quoted between £110 and £140!!! :eek:
    Last year we only paid about 70 quid in our LWB Hi-top transit but the extra 3 foot length of our new van seems to push the cost up sky high.

Now questions...
    ... any ideas as to getting it cheaper (keeping in mind I cant change dates)?
    ... also if I "accidentally" say its a bit shorter than it is am I likely to get caught?

This is based on old length/height 5.5m/2.7m, new height (Iveco Daily Classic) 6.5/2.7 (approx).

Any ideas appreciated.

Mousie

• I would "accidentally" book the wrong length. :whistle:It will probably get overlooked if the height is correct. The only problem will be if they do realise the length is wrong - you could get charged even more than you have been quoted...

• I would book with correct length. They generally know the size of most vehicles by sight and book/load accordingly. You could be refused crossing if its busy and loose your ticket. Do you shop at tesco? If so you can use tesco vouchers X2 for 1 (£5 = £10) on some ferries to the IOW (Wight Link)

• The earlier/later in the day you go, the cheaper it is. I think the first ferry is at 0345 or 0510 and the last ones being 2359

I suggest driving down on the friday and either catching the last one or, sleeping in van overnight then hitting the first ferry Saturday morning.

Try these ones:
    http://www.wightlink.co.uk/fer…n-yarmouth-ferry/routemap

I can suggest parking for the night here (sshhh its a secret):
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?….931127,35.90332&t=h&z=19

• think yourself lucky folks, we live in the Isle of Man and its just cost us £360 to get to the uk and back... the vehicle is a merc 609D, 7metres long and 2.7 metres high.and that was a special offer!!!!!!!! and 10% discount.......still I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Love y'all......Bry D

• I went over recently with a guy who 'forgot' how long his van was, if they dont believe you they get out the measuring stick and charge you the extra length, its worth looking into tesco vouchers if you collect points, we've got a free go on the boat a few times :)

Taking Life To Seriously? Just Remember We Are Talking Monkeys On An Organic Spaceship.

• got to agree that travelling later and earlier are the best bets, also - be honest about length and height - oh and don't get a bollockin' because you try to board an earlier ferry - ahem!:o

• In my experience, with the IOW ferries you check in away from the parking area. The only people that you then deal with are the marshalling staff who will generally separate vehicles by type and height - NOT length. It is the same with cross channel ferries too.

The only time length comes into it is when the loading officer needs specific lengths to fit his loading plan. If you don't take the mickey, you will usually be ok. An extra metre makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things.

As others have said though, if you can alter the date or time (I didn't think you could?) then you would get a much better deal and no stressful moments.

• I went over recently with a guy who 'forgot' how long his van was, if they dont believe you they get out the measuring stick and charge you the extra length, its worth looking into tesco vouchers if you collect points, we've got a free go on the boat a few times :)

How much longer was the vehicle though? If he booked a large vehicle for a much smaller vehicle, then I would expect someone to question it. :)

• I do this crossing every week, sometimes two or 3 times a week. I spend over £200 a month on the poxy tickets (must be love).

For one off crossings with a vehicle that size I'd use Redfunnel rather than Wightlink, and as long as it's not to blatent they wont check the length, but as others have said, they do get shitty about the height - it's to do with the mezzanine floors etc.

It makes a big difference what time you travel.

Good luck, and enjoy the island

:-)