Amy winehouse is dead

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I'm not shocked, neither am I bothered. It might sound harsh, but people seem to start to care when someone dies.

Equally, I wonder why some people feel the need to stick the boot in when someone dies a drug related death :shrug:

Personally, I thought she had a great voice. So sad when talented people self destruct :(

• I'm not shocked, neither am I bothered. It might sound harsh, but people seem to start to care when someone dies.

But many people did and do care. They are just not the kind of people who take delight in gawking at the tabloids. Do you suppose she drank herself to oblivion because she enjoyed it? She clearly couldn't cope, and the tabloids who were so keen to follow her didn't do much to help, did they? Ironically, now they have yet another story to help flog their rags. Truly sad.

• I'm not 'sticking the boot in' because she died of a drug related death - Heath Ledger and Micheal Jackson died of 'drug related' deaths and I felt something for them - the reason I feel nothing for Whitehouse is because 1) she's not even a musician, she sang, yes, but her music wasn't written solely by her 2) You should be grateful for what you have (aka made it into the music indrusty, making a living off what you 'love' doing) regardless of whether she was a drug addict or not, she was getting professional help of 10 grand a day (in some cases) off her record label to make her better and she never took the opportunity to try to get better.

Her song, 'try to make me go the rehab' says it all!

• If she didn't die (IMO) - people who not be bothered, and wouldn't even have her in mind! The media have made her number 1 subject (even though the Norway incidents are *way* more important) and that's why people feel the need to bother.

• If she didn't die (IMO) - people who not be bothered, and wouldn't even have her in mind! The media have made her number 1 subject (even though the Norway incidents are *way* more important) and that's why people feel the need to bother.

I'd love to debate that, but this is a thread of condolence I believe, and I think it should be kept that way.

• Fair enough Julian, It is a thread of condolence, so I apologise for my opinions, I do stick by them 100%, but you're right, of course. People who did believe in her should be paying their respects, I just personally don't think it.

Sorry if I have offended anyone :)

• It is a terrible waste of talent that would have only matured and improved. She would have been the Aretha of her time.

• yes its sad that she's dead and her family must be going through hell right now but she had a choice to stop taking drugs where as those poor people in norway didnt have a choice i bet the thought of taking drugs wouldnt have even crossed half those peoples minds, i only hope she died peacefully

• I have one of her Albums, she was talented but I think she killed that talent long before she died. Which is very, very sad.

(And she had gone to rehab, several times, sometimes an addiction is too much - everyone reacts differently and it's unfair to say "Oh, she could stop if she wanted to", if it was that easy then I'm sure she would have, same with any other drug addiction, smoking, alcoholism, etc)

• Sad news. I was not a big fan but i do have her 2 albums. Am listening to them now. She was a great jazz singer and it is a pity that she died so young.
    I do not think that the fact she did not write all of her material makes her any less an artist. She was a great singer, which is enough. She is in the same league as Billy Holiday, Aretha Franklin, Edith Piaf in my opinion.

Adiction is an illness and she could not overcome this unfortunately.

• I'm sure it didn't help that she went on tour weeks after coming out of rehab. You'd hope the record company would care more about her getting healthy than making money.

I'm not a huge fan of her music but when some has been so obviously troubled and has died young, it's still sad, regardless of if you liked them or not.

• Now the tabloid hacks who belittled her, hounded her, mocked her, and underplayed her big talent can crap on about how tragic they find her death :(

I knew her before she was famous and working in the same press agency as me ... the saddest thing was that the very same press agency contributed to the exposés on her several years later.

When I saw the stories I was grateful to be away from them.

I agree im afraid, it was such a waste of talent though she was a beautiful woman and someones daughter i feel sorry for her parents i think she was a bit selfish its a shame a real shame, but i ve grown up its a bit like kurt cobain an icon of the 90 s i was a big fan and was gutted but his death another waste why oh ill get a gun and shoot myself, we all get like that but for fucks sake get a grip. once ur gone ur gone, but rip amy ur were very talented its a shame a real shame i know people with terminal cancer that would have traded places with u!