My Stove Powered Generator

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Cool beans :) Sir! Sir! Another idea! Take the actual part that creates the power (your big secret :P) And stack one on top of the other or next to each other in a bank inside one casing, so you only need a single unit, obvs it will be more expensive but it cuts down on material costs (compared to two spearate units) and will save some space to get all your pans on :D But you've probly already though of that, lol

Taking Life To Seriously? Just Remember We Are Talking Monkeys On An Organic Spaceship.

• Looking good Julian, How much are we looking at here for one? How much space do you need for it all? How soon are they for sale? Very interested indeed.

• Hi All,
    I'm installing the first one now and it should be finished tomorrow morning. It is a bit of a guinea pig, but assuming it all goes according to plan I can half a dozen units ready by the end of next week. The generator block now looks slicker and I've fitted a blocking diode too. The pictures show the generator block, which mounts on the side of the stove or on the top if you don't have space on the side, and the cooling block, which in this case is mounted under the fresh water tank. Bonus, the water in the tank won't ever freeze, whatever the outside temperature.

• What sort of money are we talking about parting with? I am needing a visit to you soon anyway coz I have a stove waiting to be fitted. :D Could this work with my stove? Could I put my name down for one of the first batch?

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Thank you everyone for the encouragement. First one was wrestled into place last night and is working...but we don't know exactly how well due to the controller in the bus not registering the amps for some reason, although we know it was working at a little over 12 volts and must have been producing at least 15 watts as the battery was stable with an 11 watt flourescent light and the radio going, and I fitted a blocking diode to the tinderbox. There was also a calibration error between my voltmeter and the controller meter, just to make life more interesting. The voltage will increase as the weather turns colder, it will produce 14 volts well before the weather gets really cold. and output should get to a solid 25 watts.
    I'm pleased to announce that I will be at Sunrise Off-grid with a working unit too. This does mean of course that I won't be screwing Tinderboxes together until the week after, but they will be available shortly. I know there are loads of people waiting but I am still seeing ways to improve output and I really want to make sure its as good as it can be before unleashing it on paying customers. However: If anyone wants one now I can have five units ready by the end of the month. They will cost £425, which is more than I wanted to ask people on here, but it took far longer than I had anticipated to assemble the whole thing, like a good eight hours, and the casing (stainless) is costing more than I expected, but I want it anyway, even after sitting on the side of the stove for an hour you can still pick it up without getting burnt.. If anyone wants one of the first five please drop me an email or a pm and I will reserve one. Note that these are the first ones so I will be looking for feedback so I can keep improving it, and I will pass on any important improvements to the owners. If anyone wants to know more, please drop me a pm or post on here. I'll post up pictures of the one already installed shortly.
    Stardust: It will work fine on your stove but will have to sit on top instead of sitting on the side. If you want to use the hotplate you'll just have to lift it off and put it to one side.

• Have you seen these ones? http://www.siberianstoves.com/Indigirka-PG.html
    TEG have also got some interesting bits & bobs here: http://www.tegpower.com/products.html

First man/woman to tap 100w out of a small woodburner gets my vote... :thumbup:

100 watts is no problem at all, I could build one tomorrow. The problem is that it would be utterly useless unless you had a feasting hall in need of heating. The object is to use a small part of the heat generated by a stove to generate electricity as a by-product. As soon as you try and generate any more, you are effectively wasting energy as the technology is at absolute best no more than five percent efficient. One thing I will say though is that solar panels are rated at mythical levels of output. My kit should be capable of 20 watts, which means 20 watts. I note the Siberian stove seems to be a huge stove, price tag is pretty big too. I've seen the tegpower site too of course, but they don't seem to sell a complete system, and I don't know how good it is either, the site is a bit bitsy. Watch this space though, I'm just about ready to start doing things...

• It's the best thing since they rediscovered unsliced bread, I hope!
    Here's a piccy of the latest version:

And here is a rough video of it working in our workshop set up, otherwise known as a complete lash-up. Apologies for the sound, apparently my voice sounds really strange because I was behind the camera, and the whirring noise is not coming from the tinderbox, it's the 6" fan it was driving, which was there simply to use power. Enjoy:

• now thats a professional looking bit of kit mate. I can see this working in combination with a wood gas vehicle. Do you think you could design, make me a woodburner gas set up to put on bus chassis, powered by the wood gas through a petrol engine?

:insane: Um, possibly...when I've figured out what I'm supposed to be doing? I've had a long day building a big stove followed by two hours of fostering training, my poor little brain is a bit melty. Can I get the tinderboxes in production first please? Then, well you just know I have to get my head around it, s'what I do, innit! :D

• Aye, I agree. I should have highlighted small woodburner.
    I reckon most people would be interested in retrofitting their existing stove.

Efficiency 1st alongside a mix of PV, wind and thermoelectric should keep batteries trickling along nicely.

• 100 watts is no problem at all, I could build one tomorrow. The problem is that it would be utterly useless unless you had a feasting hall in need of heating. The object is to use a small part of the heat generated by a stove to generate electricity as a by-product. As soon as you try and generate any more, you are effectively wasting energy as the technology is at absolute best no more than five percent efficient. One thing I will say though is that solar panels are rated at mythical levels of output. My kit should be capable of 20 watts, which means 20 watts. I note the Siberian stove seems to be a huge stove, price tag is pretty big too. I've seen the tegpower site too of course, but they don't seem to sell a complete system, and I don't know how good it is either, the site is a bit bitsy. Watch this space though, I'm just about ready to start doing things...

ooops, I'm knew here. Should have done a 'Reply With Quote'. Sorry bowt that :whistle:

Not getting the pic or video you've uploaded here. Says "This image or video has been moved or deleted" :wall:

Look forwards to seeing it :eek:

• Hi box, that would be the video I shot, which I thought was up here somewhere already. I'm just in process of setting up so I can do the whole thing in house, which will give me much more control over it and be more reliable in terms of getting them built, at the moment its a nightmare.
    Nitinol looks very interesting, I will be researching it further.
    @Mr Zen, checkout the tinderkettle too, It's on my webamabob at www.thefireweaver.com

• love your stoves , at last a caravan stove that doesnt have to be ugly,
    when i have some money i would love to come and see your ideas working and take som3e photos too, i am a professional photographer, and thinking of writing my own guide to off hte grid living one day , after much more research is under taken
    you kinder kettle idea is interesting too

• Nitinol looks very interesting, I will be researching it further.

Great - There are a bunch of videos on youtube about it. I thought the properties of the cold, hot forms you would find interesting.

Could it be used somehow to generate power for topping up a battery?