Bring back capital punishment!!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• As seen on the 25th June Letters page of the Norwich Evening News:

"Innocent Would Not Be Executed - Capital punishment if reinstated would not be hanging, more probably lethal injection. I really believe this would be a deterrent after two or three had been carried out*. For years those who oppose it have used the arguement "What if they are not guilty?" Thing is with today's policing methods and the forensic advancement that's happened in the last ten years, both strongly regulated, it would be difficult for an innocent person to be found quilty for a crime such as murder.

*But presumably not on the same person. You hang a man until he dies then you keep on hanging him until he changes his ways?

Sorry there doesn't seem to be a link for this.

So, do we think bringing back capital punishment will be free from added cock-ups? The innocent have nothing the fear?

• For once I find myself in agreement with Atomik on this one .... there have been too many miscarriages of justice to make this even a halfway safe option...once they're executed there's no way back if they find the real criminal...the innocent would have everything to fear.

• They keep wheeling this out every few years with tedious regularity. Not only are there bound to be innocents sent to their graves (murdered by the state), but you only have to look at the states, to name but one, who slaughter people in a variety of ways yet have murder rates off the scale compared with ours. Does not compute.

• I'm with Tom.It isnt the probable miscarriages of justice that should stop us ever bringing back the death penalty (not that we will) its the fact that state sanctioned murder is barbaric full stop.

• Well I for one find the idea utterly barbaric, guilty or not guilty.

So do I, but the fact that I find it barbaric isn't necessarily a valid argument for not bringing it back. The fact that innocent people would get murdered and that it wouldn't achieve anything are quite concrete arguments however I feel about it.

• Quote from julianthegypsy

So do I, but the fact that I find it barbaric isn't necessarily a valid argument for not bringing it back.

Huh? Why isnt it a valid argument? If you have someone who is definitely guilty then you cant use the 'they could be innocent' argument and for a lot of people its not the stopping others in the future part that matters its the getting rid of this particular criminal part and in that way it *does* work.So all youre left with as an objective,unchangable fact is that its barbaric.

• Huh? Why isnt it a valid argument? If you have someone who is definitely guilty then you cant use the 'they could be innocent' argument and for a lot of people its not the stopping others in the future part that matters its the getting rid of this particular criminal part and in that way it *does* work.So all youre left with as an objective,unchangable fact is that its barbaric.

Yes, either killing people is wrong, or it isn't.

• Huh? Why isnt it a valid argument? If you have someone who is definitely guilty then you cant use the 'they could be innocent' argument and for a lot of people its not the stopping others in the future part that matters its the getting rid of this particular criminal part and in that way it *does* work.So all youre left with as an objective,unchangable fact is that its barbaric.

Hate to play devil's advocate, but surely whether it's "barbaric" or not is entirely subjective? Some might argue that it's a rational and reasonable response designed to remove dangerous people from our society - and less barbaric than locking them up in a jail for the rest of their lives. Not that I agree with that view, but hey...

• It's valid for me, but some people might not see it that way. The american system on the other hand is demonstrably barbaric, the courts murder hundreds of people annually and the net result is that it seems to encourage the general population, who kill each other at least ten times faster than we do on a per capita basis. If people want revenge, I'd say shutting someone up for thirty years would be a fairly heavyweight deterrent.

• Hate to play devil's advocate, but surely whether it's "barbaric" or not is entirely subjective? Some might argue that it's a rational and reasonable response designed to remove dangerous people from our society - and less barbaric than locking them up in a jail for the rest of their lives. Not that I agree with that view, but hey...

Ok,bad choice of words.Yes its subjective in the same way female gm being barbaric is subjective,people can always argue from the other side,but to a passing alien* the entire process around the death penalty would be seen as 'barbaric' however much people argued otherwise because it *is*.Taking a life in the heat of the moment I get,disposing of someone 10+ years after they commited the crime,having psychologically tortured them for that interim,and pretending to 'be the better man' whilst doing it all is a whole different level of sickness.

*assuming the alien was a higher being compassionate type rather than a dalek type :p

• There are Crimes that i think Death should be a penilty for.

Ah. Yes. Well done. I was wondering who'd be the first to spot that one. The death penality is still on the books for 'sabotage in a naval dockyard' and being 'a traitor to the state.' I have a feeling there's a couple more like that but can't remember what they are.

• I too, personally, think that state sanctioned murder of any sort is barbaric and also agree with Albert Pierrepoint (the last hangman in Britain) who said that he believed that the death penalty never detered anybody from commiting murder. The whole capital punishment argument is more about revenge than justice.

• Ah. Yes. Well done. I was wondering who'd be the first to spot that one. The death penality is still on the books for 'sabotage in a naval dockyard' and being 'a traitor to the state.' I have a feeling there's a couple more like that but can't remember what they are.

There are no crime in the UK that are punishable by death; the last ones were abolished in 1998.. even within the military, except of during times of war where hanging would be used (instead of beheading!! :eek:) for treason. But in 2003, this was also abolished. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C…ent_in_the_United_Kingdom

I'm glad that as a nation we do not murder people for committing crimes; but saying that we have a long way to go when it come to rehabilitation and the way we treat those who do commit crimes... We do not have a 'prefect' (or even functional) system for identifying criminals, eye witness testimonies have been shown time and time again to be highly flawed, DNA identification is also not as fool proof as some people like to think. As a result we are *still* seeing innocent people being jailed for years... If we were *still* hanging people these people would have already lost the chance to regain their lives. In my mind there is not one single crime that should be punished by death, we need to have a justice not revenge system.