Hunting for food

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Who does it? what do you think about it?

Considering doing some hunting for food, im talking about game ie rabbit, pigeon, ect and only taking what i can use at the time for the pot. I have no fridge or freezer so wont be going on a mass slaughter. Any waste meat will be fed to the dogs. Do you think there is a diffrence between doing this and buying meat from the supermarkets? Comments for against are most welcome :)

As they say ......discuss :D

• Can't fault you.. 2 pigeon breasts marinated overnight. cooked over a fire... you will wonder why its not been on the menu before. I got sick of eating rabbit as a kid. So only on a rare occasion will I eat it. I will kill rabbit and give it away, to control the little buggers. They kill loads of young trees come first snow. Now a hare with bacon over its back, slow cooked in the oven mmmmmmmmm. I've yet to eat my way through the local squirrel population, around here the squirrels seem to have learning disabilities. No kinding, Me and Akasha watched a squirrel, who was stuck on top of a telegraph pole for the afternoon. I took photo's of it, it was that comical.

Good that the dogs can take up your waste mate. Note to self, soon as I can walk, I have a dog ;)

• When I work my way through the contents of the freezer (chicken etc) this is something I would be looking to do. Rather like pheasent as strong it is. We have a big rabbit problem on the allotment which 2 lads take care off with their guns. But what I don't agree is that they don't use the meat other than chuck the dead rabbits into the dyke. Shameful waste of a life and the meat - same goes for the wild pigeon that taken out as well.

I have a gun, but its has a bent barrel (all shots going into top right corner) so will be looking for another one in the future and by then the freezer will be empty.

• Try grey squirrel as well mate....doesn't look much but a whole one will keep me fed for a couple of days...has a sweet nutty taste too.

Quote from 2wheelsgood

Not done it myself, but I'd have thought it's cheaper, more time consuming, and confronts you with the realities of death and gutting rather than buying a slab of plastic wrapped tidied up pink stuff.

It's never a bad idea to let people really see where their food comes from before it hits the supermarket shelves...might make them consider it a bit more....I have a load of 'window kill' in the freezer...partridges and pigeons that have flown into the reflective windows at work.

The first time skinning and gutting makes you want to heave a bit but - like lots of nasty things - you get used to it.

• I love squirrel! It's one of my favourite 'wild' meats. Haven't had any for years though.
    |f you're a meat eater I think it's good to either hunt and prepare your own at least once, or at the very least prepare a whole animal. I think it can be too easy to almost forget meat comes from an actual animal when it's all neatly chopped and presented in a plastic wrapper.

• Be aware that rabbit has next to no nutritional value. So you'll definitely need to supplement with other foods :)

As far as I was aware rabbit is high in protein, low in fat and cholesterol........great as part of a balance diet :)

I've never tried it. Infact the only game I have tried is pigeon and thought that was :vomit: Totally agree with killing and eating your own meat but not sure I could take a life myself. I would be quite happy to butcher one that someone else killed though.

• I'm veggie so I wouldn't personally eat meat, but as other folks are saying, I think it's much better to kill and skin your own than to buy it shrink-wrapped and nicely presented, it would make people realise that their meat actually comes from a living being! On the animal's welfare side of things I also think shooting wild is much better, the animal you have shot has had a great life running free, not having a shitty life like many meat animals these days. Just my thoughts.

• As far as I was aware rabbit is high in protein, low in fat and cholesterol........great as part of a balance diet :)

I've never tried it. Infact the only game I have tried is pigeon and thought that was :vomit: Totally agree with killing and eating your own meat but not sure I could take a life myself. I would be quite happy to butcher one that someone else killed though.

Well it was Stephen Fry who told me ;)
    It was on that programme he does...what's it called now...erm...QI that's it. Allegedly if we were to have a diet that consisted of just rabbit, eventually we'd die. I haven't actually researched it, being veggie, so it could be wrong... But I usually trust that geezer, if I'm honest :D

• Allegedly if we were to have a diet that consisted of just rabbit, eventually we'd die.

Umm - he's not wrong - if we eat only rabbit eventually we'll die but methinks he was being tongue in cheek...we'll eventually die anyway no matter what diet we have.....:)

• Umm - he's not wrong - if we eat only rabbit eventually we'll die but methinks he was being tongue in cheek...we'll eventually die anyway no matter what diet we have.....:)

Well, quite, but I think he was leaning towards the nutritional value. His argument was that whilst the rabbit itself does contain nutrients, the body would use them too quickly, so it would be pointless.

• Can't fault you.. 2 pigeon breasts marinated overnight. cooked over a fire... you will wonder why its not been on the menu before. I got sick of eating rabbit as a kid. So only on a rare occasion will I eat it. I will kill rabbit and give it away, to control the little buggers. They kill loads of young trees come first snow. Now a hare with bacon over its back, slow cooked in the oven mmmmmmmmm. I've yet to eat my way through the local squirrel population, around here the squirrels seem to have learning disabilities. No kinding, Me and Akasha watched a squirrel, who was stuck on top of a telegraph pole for the afternoon. I took photo's of it, it was that comical.

Good that the dogs can take up your waste mate. Note to self, soon as I can walk, I have a dog ;)

My pole, MY SQUIRREL...get ideas IF YOU DARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the end the silly thing jumped from the top of the telegraph pole into my garden in one huge leap then nearly ran in the front door!

My dad, bless him, brought home rabbit and pheasant frequently when I was a child and we hadn't much money. Recently we have shared rabbit and deer with, and courtesey of, Alices Wonderland. They were both killed by vehicles but I see no difference to making a meal from wild meat to buying meat from a supermarket other than its fresher and you know it has been dispatched quickly and cleanly when done youself. Nothing more than the local fox would have done and he did get the bones anyway!

• Well it was Stephen Fry who told me ;)
    It was on that programme he does...what's it called now...erm...QI that's it. Allegedly if we were to have a diet that consisted of just rabbit, eventually we'd die. I haven't actually researched it, being veggie, so it could be wrong... But I usually trust that geezer, if I'm honest :D

If we had a diet of 'just' anything we'd die :p................tis all about balance

• I'm surprised that there's enough meat on a squirrel, I may have to get an air rifle. Used to know someone who shot bunnies with an air rifle, and ate them. He said a clean shot to the head was best for the quality of the meat, being dead before it pumps itself full of adrenalin, as well as not causing it to suffer.

• My partner and I forage and hunt a lot of our food that way we know pretty much what we are eating unlike the the mostly crap food bought in supermarkets I use a air rifle, snares and a hunting catapult great combo for putting food on the plate, very soon the young rooks will be on the branches and then in my pot,

• What does pigeon taste like then?

Pigeon breast cut up small and fried in herbs and cream then tossed with spaghetti is rather yummy.

Quote from 2wheelsgood

I'm surprised that there's enough meat on a squirrel

Cut into chunks and casseroled with a few veggies and herbs it goes a long way...just don't do it with a red one!

• i hunt for alot of my meet and farm some cows and sheep for the table too buying meet form thre shops hasant been hung enoufgh to get the best taste and olso i dont like the way the animals are treated in slaughter houses its not a nice place and the naimals know whats going to happen to them sometimes i do buy some meet form a local butcher but he tells you evrything about that cow your autchal eating!!!