Jobs....Are there any?!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well, the big time has come for this little bearded fish to swim out in to the big scary ocean that is the grown up world, leaving academia behind.

I have found a few websites like 'www.environmentaljobs.co.uk and stuff like that but it seems I am not qualified 'enough' for most of the jobs on there....

Is there any hints and tips on where to look for specifically 'hippyish' jobs.... I am not fussy, I dont mind where I live, and the pay, well as long as I can 'live' on it, I dont mind, what I do mind is the job itself, I dont want to be selling my soul away to a mindless corporate machine...

I have found some good National Trust and English Heritage jobs, but alas I have not heard anything back from them....

Anyhow thought I would see if anyone has any advice on here...

Charles.

• It's nice to have dreams of what you would like to do, but finding the job you want is extremely difficult at the moment. So you may have to settle with what you can get untill the job market picks up. Do not simply expect to find work locally either, you may have to move or travel to where the work is. Expect a lengthy wait for replies from employers, unfortunatly there is alot of competition for jobs at the moment so it could be a while before any results (unless you are an outstanding person that is). I do not mean to sound negative but it is very hard at the moment :), i have been doing the same.

• I've been out of work since October, and you do start out only applying for what you want to do, but to be honest it isn't like that at all. There are more and more people out of work and less jobs. I've applied for over a hundred, had no interivews and a couple of replies but nothing else.
    I've applied for jobs I don't want (office jobs, cleaners, etc)- thinking if I get one I can always look for one I want but I'll still be earning.

I've just started to try and set up my own business, it's the only way I could think about earning and doing something I enjoy.

I hope something comes along for you!

• Really what the others say - the jobs are there but you may have to lower your sights a bit as to what job you want - it's a rather vicious circle where employers generally want experience but you don't get experience unless you get a job...you may have to start with something you don't like to be earning your way.

Whatever you apply for, do be sure that you have a really professional CV - gone are the days when a prospective employer would just size you up at a quick meeting ... you need to push yourself forward these days to get a half decent job.

• Thanks for the replies, at the moment I am having to move back home, as I have no money to stay in Nottingham and pay the rent, but I am open to working most jobs, what I meant about not wanting to get into the corporate machine is loosing half my life to walking up the corporate ladder doing some graduate training scheme, and to be honest I am not the type of person they are looking for.

Its annoying seeing people around me a lot of my friends jumping into 20k+ jobs, and most of them seem to be pot luck that they werent even looking for!

Anyhow I am applying for park ranger internships at the moment, to try get experience as well as a job at the end of it at the moment!

Fingers crossed.

• I just want to second (or third) the idea of volunteering while you're looking for work...last year after finishing a uni course I was unemployed for a 14 months, I volunteered with National Trust (gardener) and Shropshire Wildlife Trust (I got to help at parent and toddler groups and help on school trips willow cutting and having campfires with kids!) both were great fun and gave me something to put on my CV so it didn't look like I'd been sitting on my arse doing nothing for a year! I also had to move back in with my mum, and having regular stuff to do stopped me going mad!

good luck with everything! :)

• the National trust's more interesting jobs tend to go to people who have volunteered with them

• Ive had the unfortunate task of sifting through job applications for Ranger/warden posts advertised to the public over many years. For most Ranger posts, over 2000 people applied for the one post. 100's of applicants had no formal education in the field nor practical experience. The 1000 + applicants had more than enough qualifications at degree level, but no practical experience. Of the few hundred that filled the criteria, both in education and experience, there was only one post to fill. So it was down to what your real interests were. Did the person spend time volunteering? pursuing their interest in a similar field to the post advertised? Those that had, got short listed.

End of the day, if you were not known to the employer, through time spent volunteering with the organization or partner organization. Your CV is all we have to go on. If you have 2000 CV's to go through, something has to stand out on your CV or the prospective employer has just been reading the same thing a 1000 times, even though some CV's are mostly bullshit & make them sound far more suitable than you.

Don't forget also that a lot of posts these days are taken internally and its just policy that they are advertised to the general public.

• My daughter in law has an MA in biodiversity and taxonomy and has not had a job in her chosen field, or anything remotely like it, since graduating eight years ago . Sorry if it sounds discouraging ,which I don't mean to be, but the politicians will never tell the truth.

• Are the park ranger internships voluntary? They sound good. What degree have you got again? (I'm sure I remember you were at uni at some point!).

I suspect I'm looking in the same places as you for jobs at the moment. Whilst there seems to be a constant flow of advertised jobs, as others have said, there are so many people applying for them. Many of those are people who have found themselves made redundant in similar roles and, therefore, have the exact experience required for the job.

I've been lucky enough to at least have had interviews. One with the National Trust and one with the North Pennines AONB, plus numerous with the RSPB. I haven't been successful yet.

I definitely agree that you should be doing voluntary work in your chosen field. Crazily enough, it is also difficult to get voluntary work positions at the moment, particularly full-time internships. You'd think you wouldn't need much experience to get them as they're voluntary, but like the paid jobs, lots of highly experienced people are applying for them. Not good! I have been unsuccessful with a few of those too. There are other voluntary work positions you can get into instantly though.

Stick with it. As annoyed as I get with the situation, I keep pushing myself and I am very determined to succeed.

• Ive had the unfortunate task of sifting through job applications for Ranger/warden posts advertised to the public over many years. For most Ranger posts, over 2000 people applied for the one post. 100's of applicants had no formal education in the field nor practical experience. The 1000 + applicants had more than enough qualifications at degree level, but no practical experience. Of the few hundred that filled the criteria, both in education and experience, there was only one post to fill. So it was down to what your real interests were. Did the person spend time volunteering? pursuing their interest in a similar field to the post advertised? Those that had, got short listed.

End of the day, if you were not known to the employer, through time spent volunteering with the organization or partner organization. Your CV is all we have to go on. If you have 2000 CV's to go through, something has to stand out on your CV or the prospective employer has just been reading the same thing a 1000 times, even though some CV's are mostly bullshit & make them sound far more suitable than you.

Don't forget also that a lot of posts these days are taken internally and its just policy that they are advertised to the general public.

Hopefully the ones I have applied for dont look like anyone internally would go for these jobs as it is somewhat of an internship and so aimed at people who have had no experience in the field and getting people into that kind of job....

My daughter in law has an MA in biodiversity and taxonomy and has not had a job in her chosen field, or anything remotely like it, since graduating eight years ago . Sorry if it sounds discouraging ,which I don't mean to be, but the politicians will never tell the truth.

I have heard of lot of people are like this.... Make you wonder, was it actually worth going to university?

I did a degree in Archaeology, I am questioning why I did it at the moment, as there is only really one job route for people have got for doing this type of degree, either very underpaid basic manual excavation or the academic route of masters / phd and then lecturer / researcher.... So not many doors open.... Hence why I want to go into environmental stuff..... :/

Thanks guys for the help! I need to try find some volunteering around where I live now..... Living in the middle of nowhere doesnt help >_<

• I believe that internships will favour people who have some experience, get volunteering mate :)

• I believe that internships will favour people who have some experience, get volunteering mate :)

So you have to go through a period of volunteering in order to get an unpaid internship. It might soon be possible to continue in unpaid employment right through to retirement.

• if you have more than one applicant, of course they will favour somebody with evidence of experience.

So you have to go through a period of volunteering in order to get an unpaid internship. It might soon be possible to continue in unpaid employment right through to retirement.

Maybe I will have some look, they are basically aiming at people leaving school at sixteen, and people who want to move away from the career they have previously followed.... So maybe I am in with a chance!!!

• Maybe I will have some look, they are basically aiming at people leaving school at sixteen, and people who want to move away from the career they have previously followed.... So maybe I am in with a chance!!!

Don't 'maybe' it - if you want to work you have to get positive and push yourself forward because sure as heck someone else will jump the queue if you don't.

• ditto on volunteering. Tis where i'm at at the moment. Technically i'm not required to jobhunt yet but practically there is not much chance of me being supported to work in this field unless i work for the love of it now. Goodluck

• Definitely a yes to volunteering. It all counts as experience, plus if you volunteer with someone like the National Trust it puts you in a good position for getting a paid role. I've worked for a similar charity before today and ended up with a paid job on the same site.

• Of course volunteering can also go against you, although very rarely this happens, with regard to getting a job within the organization you volunteer with. I've had some proper useless volunteers working with me over the years and some of them have later applied for jobs going. Having got a measure of their personalities and abilities. There was no way in some cases that I would consider employing some of the volunteers I have had experience of teaching or working with. A willingness to participate isn't enough in the real world and practical experience, combined with education/qualifications win every time.

• Maybe I will have some look, they are basically aiming at people leaving school at sixteen, and people who want to move away from the career they have previously followed.... So maybe I am in with a chance!!!

I've applied for "trainee" positions where you didn't have to have any experience, but because there are people out there with experience who are also looking for work, they were chosen. I've had a few rejection emails along the lines of "it's tough out there at the moment... we had lots of very experienced people apply for the position... etc.". So, although they say they don't need experience, they will go for it, from what I've seen. Saves them time and money in training etc.

It may be different for you and the position you're applying for of course. Just thought I'd share my experience at the moment! I've been applying for environment jobs for 18 months now with no luck. I have a relevant Masters degree, voluntary work experience and part-time paid work experience. I'm still applying for voluntary work positions, alongside paid.

• I've applied for "trainee" positions where you didn't have to have any experience, but because there are people out there with experience who are also looking for work, they were chosen. I've had a few rejection emails along the lines of "it's tough out there at the moment... we had lots of very experienced people apply for the position... etc.". So, although they say they don't need experience, they will go for it, from what I've seen. Saves them time and money in training etc.

It may be different for you and the position you're applying for of course. Just thought I'd share my experience at the moment! I've been applying for environment jobs for 18 months now with no luck. I have a relevant Masters degree, voluntary work experience and part-time paid work experience. I'm still applying for voluntary work positions, alongside paid.

Ah, to be honest I think the biggest thing which goes against me is not having a driving license....

• I've applied for "trainee" positions where you didn't have to have any experience, but because there are people out there with experience who are also looking for work, they were chosen. I've had a few rejection emails along the lines of "it's tough out there at the moment... we had lots of very experienced people apply for the position... etc.". So, although they say they don't need experience, they will go for it, from what I've seen. Saves them time and money in training etc.

Ah, to be honest I think the biggest thing which goes against me is not having a driving license....