Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well, since my long period of silence (blame university) I am now a bum, with no uni or work, so I thought I should share a little joy that has come to my families small holding.

For the first time we have managed to hatch baby chicks from a broody hen, we have had a lot of success from electric incubators, but this is the first time we have approached it from mother natures angle. Though if I had my way it would be the only way we would hatch chickens but my father is in charge of it anyhow.

Heres some pictures for you all to go 'awwww' at anyhow =]

Charles.

• squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - awwwwwwww!! is that a brama bird (grey mother hen?) with Welsummer chicks?

I ought to try one of my hens as nature approach trouble is I would have to remove her from the coop/pen and not sure about the cock in there taking one of the chicks out. Got another 8 in the indubator now so will have some more white chicks due to hatch on mid-summers day :D

• squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - awwwwwwww!! is that a brama bird (grey mother hen?) with Welsummer chicks?

I ought to try one of my hens as nature approach trouble is I would have to remove her from the coop/pen and not sure about the cock in there taking one of the chicks out. Got another 8 in the indubator now so will have some more white chicks due to hatch on mid-summers day :D

Aye spot on! We have two Brama's we did think the other brama was going broody and we didnt want to waste her broodyness if she was, but it looks like she isnt!

I love my chickens... Just wait till I get me some land!

• Those photo's were so cute. We are in the process of making a chicken run cos we are rehoming 3 ex battery chickens in about 2 weeks. Neither me or Mr Xray have any experience of looking after chickens but we've been reading up and to be honest I'm not worried if we don't get many eggs we just wanted to offer a proper home to the poor birds. Anyway, now I know there's some eggsperts (:ocouldn't resist) here, hope you wont mind if I need to pick your brains.