Why are you vegetarian ?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I've been veggie since the late 70's, my decision at the time was because the way farm animals were being treated; this is still one of the reasons combined with not wanting to kill to eat and realising that it is not sustainable to use the world's resources to produce meat as the same amount of land can feed many more people with vegetables/grains etc.

I am moving towards becoming fully vegan as I no longer eat eggs or use milk but coming off the butter and cheese is so far more difficult

• I've been veggie since the late 70's, my decision at the time was because the way farm animals were being treated; this is still one of the reasons combined with not wanting to kill to eat and realising that it is not sustainable to use the world's resources to produce meat as the same amount of land can feed many more people with vegetables/grains etc.

I am moving towards becoming fully vegan as I no longer eat eggs or use milk but coming off the butter and cheese is so far more difficult

am there with you at that stage,cheese ,veggie cheese is good for flavour,thats my weakness,but time will tell

• I went veggie at about 14-15 years old, just because I didn't want to eat animals. It was that simple really. I tried going vegan, but at the time, my knowledge of nutrition was not enough to be healthy, so I dropped to 7 and a half stone and decided it was time to start eating pizza again!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• am there with you at that stage,cheese ,veggie cheese is good for flavour,thats my weakness,but time will tell

I thought I'd try making some of the raw nut cheese, I'm determined to get off dairy completely as even with organic dairying I beleve many of the calves are still shot at birth :(

• It may just be the Soil Association (UK5) organic standard, but I THINK that very soon it will be part of the standard that male calves will not be shot at birth - though I doubt they will get to live out their lives as a few of the producers allow, where you pay for the cows' (and bulls'?) pensions as it were.

• Post by Angio ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • I don't eat meat because I don't want to, don't see the need and because I totally disagree with the way that the majority of livestock bred for human consumption are raised, housed, fed etc. I like to know what I'm eating so never ever use processed foods, meat subs or ready made meals. I also do the bread, cakes, muffins etc at home.

• I stopped eating meat in 1967. My father had brought home some literature from the Animal Defence League and Anti-Vivisection Society where he was doing some work at the time. I read through a leaflet on veal production and, at the age of twelve, just didn't want to be part of that process. I managed to get hold of some other information too. Of course, there was no internet in those days, so I did some research at the library. My mother was not a keen cook, but she tried to make sure I had a balance of nutrients. It was really hard for her. These days I try to make as much of my food as possible from simple raw ingredients.

• I went vegetarian some time ago and then went in the military where there was no chance at a choice logically. I ate without looking most of the time and left feeling sick. It was not fun at all. I grew up on a small farm in a rural area and we had chickens, geese,turkeys,guineas and cats dogs and birds. We ate the eggs but we never ate the birds. I watched one egg as it hatched and i was young and did not understand biology and so the bird became attached to me. Followed me everywhere. I grew to love my chicken and yet when my mother went to the store and made dinner when i ate chicken I did not connect the dots as a child. I protected and loved some while I ate others. Funny how what can be seen as normal can involve a whole lot of suffering.

So fast forward to time we went vegan March 2012. I was not a happy kitty at this point because I was usually queen of the kitchen and could cook almost anything i put my mind to. Yet here I was being forced into brand new territory. It was uncomfortable. I said I would go vegan on one condition. That my toast taste like toast with butter and my tea taste the same. The next day my other half came home and made tea and toast and it was just about perfect so for the good of the animals I said yes. Walked into that kitchen made chocolate scones and voila vegan kitty began her journey.

Now I run a vegan beginners group on facebook and have helped many people transition from being a vegetarian to becoming a vegan. My mother is making the change and that gives me a really big smile when I think of it. I am just so happy now, we both are. Then we learned of the health benefits and I will say that so long as you consume many greens and fruits, nuts seeds beans and water among herbs and spices...wow. I lost forty more pounds. That is epic for me because I was in a wheelchair and almost weighed 300lbs at one point. I was so sick it was really bad. Back surgeries 8 of them and then told i would never walk again. Well because I lived in america..no health insurance and no help I taught myself to walk again. This after a neurosurgeon said I would not walk again.

So now I am at about 194 pounds and this last bump of weight loss was because of the food I eat now. I am still losing and while I may be sick going vegan is a choice I will not ever regret making. The lighter footstep upon our mother is the greatest thing as well. We are all connected and knowing that one being suffers because i want cheese? No I cannot do that. Knowing that a calf is being turned into veal or being killed because I want dairy..because that makes him a by product? No i just cannot do that.

:chef:I am also buddhist and the way I see the world now there is nothing that I do that does not effect everything and everyone around me. I am here and now in the present and I know that choosing an act of compassion any chance that you can is an act of good for all. Being kind and choosing peaceful means to sustain yourself..this is a worthy choice.

• i've been veggie on and off for years, vegan for 6 months over a decade ago. My last period of vegetarianism was from 2004-2006 and i got anaemic so began eating meat again. After our xmas dinner last year which we didn't enjoy (beef) and rehoming some chooks late last year, i leapt at the idea when my man suggested we stop eating meat as part of our staple diet...we couldn't afford the meat we wanted to buy and the whole idea had become abhorrant to me. We haven't bought meat since...i have eaten fish maybe four times since newyear...i get a crave for it and i listen to my body...its oily fish i crave and not very often either, probably should hit the hempseeds at that point rather than the fish counter!! This time i have paid close attention to the nutrition and make sure we get plenty of protein from non dairy sources. We're trying to limit our consumption of plastic currently so we buy large single packs of crisps for the kids lunch boxes and they take a little tub. I also make all our cakes and biscuits and alot of them are becoming vegan and gluten free. We have recently stopped buying chocolate unless we can be sure it has been produced without child slavery and kidnapping as part of the process. For me, if i can do it properly and remain healthy (which i think i've sussed just about) then it is the undisputable choice for living in harmony and as part of nature...i can't preach nature and continue to exist seperate from it in my over consumption of animal products and other technologies that harm nature...longterm mission of seperating from ancient sunlight reliance...We've just gone carbon neutral in terms of doing the laundry (presawash and 1940's ACME mangle) :rockon:

• I'm veggie because there's no justification for slaughtering animals for food in developed countries. I can't abide taking a precious life to satisfy my palette for a few minutes at dinner time.