Government plans new Sexual Health Forum and....

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Today it was announced in the Guardian that this 'government' has set up a new forum to deal with sexual health in our 'fair' country. You would expect that in a developed nation such as ours that organisations like the Terrence Higgins Trust, Brooke Advisory Centre and also the British Pregnancy Advisory Service would ALL be on board. And also, that pro-life groups such as Life would not.

Because as we all know in many situations abortion is the only option for some women. Women who are raped or are the victims of incestuous abuse should never be forced into carrying a child that is a by product of violence committed against them. Contraception fails, why should a woman who took measures not to get pregnant have to carry a child to term? As a mother I am very glad to have been given the CHOICE to become a mother, it is to my mind an important part of living in fair, democratic society.

We all know for sex education to be affective children need to be educated about sex from an early age; it works in many other European countries who can boast low rates of teenage pregnancy and sti transmission. Teaching children (in an age appropriate fashion) also help stops the process of grooming as children who are educated know about concepts such as having the right to say no when someone touches you, and the basics of sexual contact. Education not teaching abstinence helps young people become healthy sexual adults, who understand the responsibilities that come with having sex from an early age.

As a woman, mother, voter I find it disgusting that Life were even considered to be a member of this panel... we need forward thinking not dogma! According to the latest statistics teenage pregnancy's were decreasing! Do we really want to see another generation of children raised by children! Inviting Life to be a member of such an important forum seriously puts into doubt how affective this forum will able to be. And to make matter worse a very well respected, effective organisation has not been invited to join this forum... really I would feel more confident if Life had not been invited to join in favour of the British Pregnancy Advisory Service being invited to join. I am sure I am not alone in this thinking.

It seems like yet another fine example of mysoginsim shown by this Conservative led 'government'. :curse:

• ok. sorry. I can't see what all the fuss is about. This is only one member of a forum. They are the only one with this view. The forum has to create policy recommendations that can be sold to parents and children. Some of these children will have parents with these odd views. It can only benefit the forum to include "all parties". This will hopefully create some way forward that can start eroding the barriers that life and such like put up. To have a forum to create policy recommendations that would be ignored by the life brigade..without thought or even reading them.. would continue to cut out of the loop children of those with such beliefs. by including rather than excluding those with other views can be the only way to start surely? To not talk with and include those who have different views to ours would surely achieve.. absolutely nothing?

• Maybe I should have included a link to the article; people tend to explain things better than I can. :)

If this was just a forum I could maybe see your point. Likewise if the British Pregnancy Advisory Service had been invited to join. But this forum is replacing the Independent Advisory Group on Sexual Health and HIV. And as such I feel that a group that has been accused for teaching young people that condoms only protect against some types of STI, who promote teaching abstinence as sex education, and also who bullying women and girls into keeping unwanted children should not be part of this forum. Groups that base their thinking on factual, scientific information, who have a proven track record of providing an unbiased service to thousands of women, girls and families should be. This forum is not like UK Hippy, it's not a discussion forum, this forum will have the power to decide about how we educate children/teenagers about sex, what services are going to be available in regards to family planning (contraception and abortion), what public information is published, what areas of research get funding etc., etc. We need a forum (or advisory body) that is guaranteed to continue the trend we have been seeing in the UK of rates of teenage pregnancy dropping. I feel strongly that allowing Life's voice to be heard in such a forum is going to complicate things and also give them a chance to try and force their own religious based, morally restrictive views on thousands and thousands of girls/women. We need an advisory body who works with facts and evidence. And most importantly is progressive.

• I've read that article and others and still agree with G.Its a talk shop with limited real world power and BPAS were invited to join,Brooks and Terrence Higgins etc are still there and a lone pro-life voice isnt going to have a huge influence.Promoting abstinence is not of itself a bad thing and neither is telling teens that condoms arent a magic fail safe device that let you shag around without consequences.And if we get more restrictions on abortion or contraception it'll be because of the inherent views of the polititians in power not because one place on an advisory group is taken up by a pro-lifer.

• Its a talk shop with limited real world power

It is a talk shop that will affected ministers decisions on matters of sexual health, education and family planning services. Are you saying that the Independent Advisory Group on Sexual Health and HIV had 'limited real world power'? Because I have to disagree that advisory group did have real world power, and their work seemed to be having a positive affect. This forum is replacing IAGSH... so I imagine it will have the same 'real world power'.

and BPAS were invited to join,

Source? So far The New Statesman, Daily Mail and Guardian mention they BPAS were not been invited in their own right but to share their place with Marie Stopes. Life are not a sexual advisory group unlike every other group invited; they are a pressure group, so why were they even invited to join.

Brooks and Terrence Higgins etc are still there and a lone pro-life voice isnt going to have a huge influence.

No they may not have a huge influence within the group itself... but I wonder how many ministers will be more eager to listen to their findings over those of the Terrence Higgins Trust, for example. :shrug:

Promoting abstinence is not of itself a bad thing and neither is telling teens that condoms arent a magic fail safe device that let you shag around without consequences.And if we get more restrictions on abortion or contraception it'll be because of the inherent views of the polititians in power not because one place on an advisory group is taken up by a pro-lifer.

No it isn't; but alongside with teaching children about consent, their rights over their body, periods, all the emotional stuff that comes with having (or not sex), as well as where to find and how to use contraception. I think what is worrying me is that by inviting Life to be a part of this forum that ministers are ensuring that there is at least one group that they can rely on to give the result they want... and that is what is really fucking worrying me. do we really want certain ministers to have this option..? :eek:

• Ministers do what they want regardless,they dont need the 'permission' of an advisory group or a single member of an advisory group.Its a tory government,they need to look like theyre keeping their traditional voters in mind and this does that without actually affecting anything.Big deal :S
    And sharing a place *is* being invited.