Soya milk and "curdling".

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• 18mths ago we bought a Joyoung soya milk maker similar to this one and we use Suma's organic soya beans. It makes very inexpensive organic soya milk, and you can make tofu with it too. (I've done it once, but I think I need to try a different coagulating agent).

And as for coffee and soya milk "curdling", well, I drink it black, but we've found a coffee that very reliably doesn't cause curdling, it's Taylors of Harrogate's Fairtrade Organic Ground Coffee, rated 3, in a turquoise-ish packet.

• It's not so much the coffee brand, more about temperatures. We always heat the soya milk and don't put it in super hot coffee, works every time, no matter the brand.

• It's not so much the coffee brand, more about temperatures. We always heat the soya milk and don't put it in super hot coffee, works every time, no matter the brand.

Well, quite possibly you've more patience than I have - I got fed up with heating the milk and gaining no advantage from doing so. I've read that the cause of the curdling is the acidity of the coffee, the effect of which is very probably increased by high temperature.

• The alternative to Starpoi's method is to just add a few drops of cold water to the coffee before adding the soya milk - I've found that works OK. Whenever I have coffee on a coffee shop that serves soya I always ask for it to be heated first and most places will do that with no problems.

• Well, thank you, but you won't be surprised to hear that over long periods of time I'd tried both those methods on many occasions with less than reliable results.

• Afterthought: I don't know how widely available Taylor's coffees might be - we get ours from an EH Booths store about 200m away from our front door - but surely I'll be sticking with this brand and making our coffee drinks just as easily as anyone who chooses to use the milk of poor cows.

• I'm with Milo - I find it depends on the brand of the coffee and i've also read it's to do with the acidity rather than the temperature :)

Ah, thank you. (And I must go back to Mynydd Preseli).

• I'm with Milo - I find it depends on the brand of the coffee and i've also read it's to do with the acidity rather than the temperature :)

i'm split here - some brands of soya are dreadful in coffee, but ok in tea. co-op fairly traded coffee ( and also starbucks fairly traded which we were given for xmas) seem to be fine and i don't let the coffee cool.

• coffee should be heated up to 70c not boiling point,(100) you can always try theses tips, add the milk then add a bit more after stirring. heat the milk first. stiring.