Ian Tomlinson inquest

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I've been following it too, he keeps getting caught out in his lies doesn't he, it would be amusing if someone hadn't died.
    Unfortunately no criminal charges will ever be brought against the officer, the CPS has already stated that.
    There is a slight chance that the police will bring disciplinary charges against him but I wouldn't hold your breath.

• seems like the chosen fall guy.. has decided not to fall:whistle: wonder how much other video footage the jury are not bring shown

Hes not a 'chosen fall guy' though is he,it was *his*fault that a man died.He was supposed to be stood next to his van on boring stand by duty but he chose to 'get in on the action' instead and from the sound of it was hyped up and trying to reassert his authority/power after failing to arrest graffiti guy.His actions werent ordered or sanctioned,he made the choices and he has no defence other than 'I was being a dick,I didnt mean for this to happen'.Its bizarre and immoral that his job protects him from criminal charges and clearly there are huge failings within the Met itself but this guys not being scapegoated.

I vaguely feel sorry for him because we've created a society in which its apparently impossible to just be honest and hold your hands up to failings so he doesnt have a lot of choice about going through this charade now.But he was being a dick and a man died so whatever the more general failings in the force that part is down to this officers independant actions.

• Got this info second hand so not sure how reliable it is ... inquest verdict of 'unlawful killing by a police officer' so hopefully it brings closure to the family and the plod concerned gets nicked for whacking an innocent bystander.

• Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Pc Simon Harwood will appear before City of Westminster Magistrates' Court on June 20.

A Scotland Yard officer will be charged with killing Ian Tomlinson at the G20 protests after a dramatic U-turn by Britain's top prosecutor.Relatives of Mr Tomlinson reacted with delight as the Director of Public Prosecutions said there were now realistic chances of a manslaughter prosecution against Pc Simon Harwood.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co…003595.html#ixzz1NHmr4bGg

• The copper that killed Blair Peach 30 years ago was allowed to complete his career and retire. Perhaps this will be the beginning of a new accountability but I can't help doubting it.

• Look at how well covered up the Beanfield savagery was ...

Not entirely. Wiltshire rozzers had to pay damages to the Beanfield Travellers for unlawful arrest, false imprisonment, damage to vehicles and being a bunch of tosspots. The down side was the court costs just about came out the same as the £1m damages award but an important point was made. Mind 'ow you batter people. Until the next time.

But good news for the Tomlinson family. I read the PC Idiot transcripts and I could feel him squirming under questioning. Not often we get to read a rozzer squirm. I hope they do that idiot pathologist while they're at it.

• I hope they do that idiot pathologist while they're at it.

Same here, he should not be practising and should also face prosecution for his part in this case and others he has been involved in.
    But like everyone else I do think that this sentence is a step in the right direction; hopefully now more police people will realise that wearing a uniform does not make them 'above the law'.

• Same here, he should not be practising and should also face prosecution for his part in this case and others he has been involved in.
    But like everyone else I do think that this sentence is a step in the right direction; hopefully now more police people will realise that wearing a uniform does not make them 'above the law'.

Hopefully, it'll help them remember that they are there to protect people. It may have an unintended consequence too, at least as far as governments are concerned, as if succesful, they'll never again be able to use the police to bust people's heads. Imagine that.

• Hopefully, it'll help them remember that they are there to protect people.

Very true :thumbup:

It may have an unintended consequence too, at least as far as governments are concerned, as if succesful, they'll never again be able to use the police to bust people's heads. Imagine that.

Fook... :eek:... that would be fantastic! I bet there are many Met officers crying into their cereal bowels today! ;)

• Very true :thumbup:

Fook... :eek:... that would be fantastic! I bet there are many Met officers crying into their cereal bowels today! ;)

Hopefully it'll discourage the macho idiots from applying and make life easier for the real policeman, who aren't in it for the adrenalin or the power trip. Wouldn't it be nice to have a police service that really was a service and that everybody respected because they protected us? Now that would be a service to be proud of.

• ... hopefully now more police people will realise that wearing a uniform does not make them 'above the law'.

I'm sure that will happen the day "peacefull" protesters stop seeing a uniform as something to attack.....;)

We are old, we are young, we are in this together... New Model Army....they still going?

• [QUOTE=julianthegypsy;1069224Wouldn't it be nice to have a police service that really was a service and that everybody respected because they protected us? Now that would be a service to be proud of.[/QUOTE]

Julian, but you do know don't you the innocent have nothing to fear. Eeeek!

However, "I'm sure that will happen the day "peaceful" protesters stop seeing a uniform as something to attack." (Sorry, I haven't figured out how to do multiply quotes yet) The only problem I have with that is t'is following my sister's logic of 'Tomlinon probably deserved it because of the bad behaviour of the protestors.' We must remember that Mr. Tomlinson was an ordinary member of the public trying to find a way home and wasn't, no matter what else was going on around him, a protestor. He was the innocent victim here.

Recently a retired member of the Met told me how, during the 1981 Brixton Riots, his seriel had chased a lone N-word into a block of flats with no way out except to jump down a stairwell. This he did, breaking both legs, but the rozzers who were there to protect and serve left him - 'serves 'im right for running away' sort of thing. Now, if the ex-cop had told me that when I was still a civil servant I would have cautioned him on the spot. I still have trouble with being told of the incident at all - but, 30-years on, who's to tell?

Mind 'ow you go.

• [We must remember that Mr. Tomlinson was an ordinary member of the public trying to find a way home and wasn't, no matter what else was going on around him, a protestor. He was the innocent victim here.

Never said he wasn't, just highlighting the sweeping generalizations being made.... "all coppers are bastards, all protesters are peacefull" ... nothing is ever just black or white. :)

A friend had her wrist broken a couple of years ago, several operations on it and it still causes her pain..... reason .... she was patroling in the city centre wearing a police uniform and a drunken gentleman saw her as a target to take his anger out on.....

As you say mind how you go indeed..... :waves:

We are old, we are young, we are in this together... New Model Army....they still going?

• Hopefully it'll discourage the macho idiots from applying and make life easier for the real policeman, who aren't in it for the adrenalin or the power trip.

I think this is the real problem.

It's not so much that the uniform gives you a power trip, but that a lot of those who want to be coppers probably apply for the wrong reasons and shouldn't be allowed to.

A bit like the job of Galactic President in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy: anyone who wants the job is by definition unsuitable for it.

• It's not so much that the uniform gives you a power trip, but that a lot of those who want to be coppers probably apply for the wrong reasons and shouldn't be allowed to.

Believe me, anyone of a nutter disposition is weeded out by the shrinks way before they're allowed anywhere near a baton then supervised for two years as a probationer. The real problem is what the job does to coppers, traumatic experiences change their outlook on the great British public and turns them into nutters. Even that should get weeded out by their supervising officer because nutters don't happen in isolation. We get the police force we deserve because they grow up / are influenced in the same society as everyone else. PC Harwood was a time bomb waiting to go off - he was a driver that day and wandered off from his vehicle to get involved with the action - and the fact that no one noticed is something else the Met might want to look at.

Tigerdaddy - appologies, I was generalising and it wasn't aimed at you. No offence meant.

• Tigerdaddy - appologies, I was generalising and it wasn't aimed at you. No offence meant.

Al none taken and no need for appologies, as my comments weren't aimed at you either just the general tone of the thread, cheers..... :)

I fully aggree that justice should be done in this case but I dont believe that this copper got up that morning put on his uniform and thought " I hope I kill someone today".... he made a mistake.... a bloody big one which he should pay for, but we shouldn't go taring all coppers with the same brush.... I mean not all hippies have dreads, smoke dope and live in a tree house.... ;)

The real problem is what the job does to coppers, traumatic experiences change their outlook on the great British public and turns them into nutters......

Al I'm neither pro or anti here but have a balanced view as I worked for 15 years in the Met as an admin officer, so could tell a 1000 stories about the job..... one young officer about five years in the job was the first at the scene of a disturbance in a house, broke in to find a couple, their daughter and 5 month old grandaughter all stabbed to death.... having checked the baby and got blood on himself he never wore a uniform again and was unable to return to work.

We have created a society that needs police officers but we are quick to judge when they go wrong..... :shrug:

• Al I'm neither pro or anti here but have a balanced view as I worked for 15 years in the Met as an admin officer, so could tell a 1000 stories about the job..... one young officer about five years in the job was the first at the scene of a disturbance in a house, broke in to find a couple, their daughter and 5 month old grandaughter all stabbed to death.... having checked the baby and got blood on himself he never wore a uniform again and was unable to return to work.

I'll see your 1000 stories and raise you 2000. I saw terrible things, many heart-warming moments and five corrupt officers who got righteously busted, to wit: the Met drugs squad officer (1976) who got 9-years for obtaining, possessing and supplying 10kilos of cannabis, the Met officer (1985) who was tipping off his class-A drug dealer brother thus putting the lives of fellow officers in danger, a Norfolk DI who got caught setting up informers to share their reward money with him and two drugs squad officers who got caught planting a kilo of uncut speed on a suspect thus rendering a two month undercover operation useless. Sorry for the copper who had to deal with a gruesome murder scene and couldn't work again. Some people can't handle it. Hope the guy got proper councelling for his truama and found a job which suited him better.

But stories of the good, the bad and the mildly indifferent doesn't change what PC Harwood (allegedly) did to to Mr Tomlinson. If he (Harwood) had come clean - oops, I don't know what came over me - straight away he might have got away with a slap on the wrist. But outright lying at the Coroners Court, only changing his story when confronted with the video evidence, does the man no good. As for his vomit inducing statement of, ' ... I came here to help the family,' I'm amazed at the restraint of said family who didn't batter him on the spot. It is idiots like him who bring the Force into disrepute.

If convicted, prison won't be a bed of roses for Harwood. As an ex-police officer he'll be housed under Rule 23, away from the general population, with the child molesters and murderers. Where he'll have plenty of time to ruminate on his rash actions. I can see how serving officers might object to this thread but, hey, civilians do have this annoying habit of discussing things the authorities would rather they not of.

Support your local coppers, hug a plod today!