Nomadic lessons learned

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well fellow hippys its a year this weekend since i moved into trundle :woohoo:
    So now a year has passed i feel i can post a few of the things i have learned this last twelve months, now i have survived a full set of seasons :)

A woodburner turns a truck/bus into a home, but learning to drive the burner is a bit of a dark art! My home made burner has kept me warm during the coldest winter for 120yrs and provided heat, warm food and water entertainment ( fire brigade 3 times :eek: ) dont all buses have a chimney???
    Keeping a few days worth of wood/coal is a must in the middle of winter, and smokless coal means he guys at the petrol station dont shit it when you pull on for re-fueling :D
    12 Pieces of smokless ot 10 pm then shut dampers is enough to wake at 6.30 am to a bus thats still 20 degrees :D
    When parking up in the dark think ahead! get wood collected/cut during daylight, its much harder by head torch :whistle:

Insulate your floor :eek: the only thing that got cold this winter was my feet!

Keep an eye on the sun, it goes down quick and its easy to miss an amazing sunset that will have you smiling upto bed time and if your lucky enough to be up before it a nice brew sat on the steps watching it rise can make you smile all day :D

Being ill is really really shit :( Make sure you always have food and water just incase as waking up ill and having to go get it really sucks, i now have a stash of tins just incase ;)

When parking up...people are scared of you so be extra nice and the rewards will follow, i have been left fresh eggs on more than once ( wonder why i keep going back to that spot :p ) Some old lady knitted me a hat as she was worried 'i was cold in my van' she then came to deliver it so came in for a brew and said wow you wont be cold with that burner lit :D

Dont leave any rubbish ( i even pick up litter ) then when you go back the locals dont mind!

Go to bed ready to move just incase.

And most of all it might be hard at times but the rewards are fantastic, a year on and my smile is bigger than ever!! :D :D

And yes im loving nomadic life, met some great people who i now call friends, and was lucky enough to have a very good teacher in the early days :D

• another one you will come across, even if its once in a lifetime, is aggression. Stand your ground. fight with anything at hand. If you loose the fight you will still have your home to move to a new place. If you win, you keep your tat. Nothings worth prison, but your home can't become a prison. Peace be with you Jay.. Many a sunset and sunrise awaits those looking.

• I learned never to park up in a lay-by when it is covered in snow, even if you have parked there many times before.(It took me 2.5 hrs to dig out a 7.5 ton truck)

• I pulled off the road into a small field. The truck sunk to its axles, The farmer drove past two days running wondering how I was going to get it out. In the end I paid him to tow me out with his tractor.
    I would walk my horse and bowtop around the hills in Derbyshire, instead of riding on the wagon. One old man said, as he passed me on his pushbike. Be kind to your horse. He left me a pint in the pub at the top of a hill.

• Happy Birthday matey, and already a year, I remember the weekend you went to get Trundle, seems only like last weekend!!!!!! Wishing you many more happy years ahead dude and hopefully some shared trips too.:D

i have been left fresh eggs on more than once ( wonder why i keep going back to that spot ) Some old lady knitted me a hat as she was worried 'i was cold in my van'

One old man said, as he passed me on his pushbike. Be kind to your horse. He left me a pint in the pub at the top of a hill.

The small things often turn out to be the big things,the things that stay with you.Great stories.

• Nice on bro, big congrats.. Hope the good karma keeps flowing in your direction. You really helped me out with the truck last month. The guys at Fletch go her through the MOT, so that's a major step :) I'm abroad for a while but I still want to have that pint with you one day soon. Take care..

• Things I've learnt through the years?
    One - Never, never, never run anything but the engine off your starter batteries!!!! Did I say never!
    Two - Turn round while there's space, don't think "I'll do that later" (I once had to reverse 1/4 mile in the dark to turn round and then reverse back the 1/4 mile to hitch up to the trailer, then drive the whole rig 1/4 mile back to main road to start the journey. The whole carpark had been empty when I parked at the beginning of the gig!!! Doh)
    Three - Gaffa tape is your friend :-)
    Four - Overfilling the oil can cause as many problems as underfilling - seals can blow.
    Five - Always find out what the new noise is......
    Six - Echoing above, sort your wood and water out before dark if poss. And REALLY try to have a couple of days in hand.
    Seven - Always keep your head torch in the same place!!!!!
    Eight - Trust your instincts. If they say move, do.
    Nine - Smile at people - usually they smile back.
    Ten - Enjoy it.

xxxx

"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well" Mother Julian of Norwich

• Six - Echoing above, sort your wood and water out before dark if poss. And REALLY try to have a couple of days in hand.
    Seven - Always keep your head torch in the same place!!!!!

ditto, and ditto!!!

• Another:

In the winter, always bring your water container in at night. Nothing is more boring than trying to unthaw a water container in the morning before you can have your tea.

• another from me is always remember to pack stuff away before driving off - doh:o

Better still - pack stuff away when you go to bed - then if anything goes tits in the night and you need to make a hasty exit you have no chance of breaking stuff or leaving anything behind

:-)