2012 Mayan Calendar

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• OK guys, touchy subject. I know there is going to be an aweful lot of different views, but i want to get to the bottom of it because it cant just be annoying me.
    Lets start with December 21st 2012 - THE END (apparently)

Big deal, you might say.

Still, there's a couple of very interesting (and disturbing) facts about the Maya calendar's end. Most intriguing, 21-12-2012 is not a day like any other. Up in the sky, an extraordinary and incredibly rare event will take place. The Sun will move to a unique spot in the sky -- and hold still for a while, since it is solstice day. The Sun will sit precisely on the heavenly crossroads between the Milky Way and the galactic equinox, forming a perfect alignment with the center of the galaxy.

So, New Age philosophers say, December 21st 2012 will be the day on which this inner cosmos is reconnected to the divine outer cosmos. The Sun will mount its unique position to form a `gateway' between the Universe and the souls of every living creature on Earth. Our linear conception of time will crumble, and with it, fear and hatred will vanish. It will be purification at it's very best, when everyone is soaked in cosmic understanding and divine love.

So there it is: on December 20th, you'll kick your dog, yell at your spouse and cheat on cards. But a day later, you'll be calmed down into a peaceful dude with nothing but love and understanding to guide you in life. Even though it's mid-winter, it'll be summer of love for all humanity.
    Other doomsayers foresee doom and destruction. December 21st will be the day the Earth will be destroyed. Some think it will be because of some nuclear war, some say it will be because it's biblical judgment day. Even others take the ending of the Maya calendar more literally, and claim the Universe will just cease to exist. Zzzzp!, gone.

What do you all think? Ive looked through so much literature i dont know what to believe. Im confused and a little upset. :(:curse:Bet the government wouldnt tell us even if they knew!!!!!!!!!!!

• I thought much of your post looked "copied and pasted", and googling it proved me right. Although it's been reproduced so many times that I wouldn't know what the original source was.

Normally I'd close unreferenced threads like this, but seriously the whole positioning of everything in our sky can be aligned to something if we choose it to - what evidence is there for any of this stuff apart from Mayans giving up their calendar? I personally reckon it's probably just another "millennium bug" thing.

Saying that however, there does seem to be a shifting of people's consciousness towards more spiritual things, and an increased wonderment at the Universe in general - or is there? It could just be the type of people I know.

• HI sorry it is copied and pasted only because this is where i found all my research under one roof, so why not 'quote' from it as i was taught in school. Plus it put it in terms people will find it easy to read.
    I could of written my own essay but i doubt you guys would want to read pages of me going on about the end of the world, bit depressing so i wanted to know what peoples views on it all were?
    Im completely undecided but if i sway it'd be towards the whole worlds sub concious coming together. Isnt that what the celestine prophecy talks about?
    Peace
    x

• HI sorry it is copied and pasted only because this is where i found all my research under one roof, so why not 'quote' from it as i was taught in school. Plus it put it in terms people will find it easy to read.

But, on a legal level, it means we're unwittingly publishing copyright material ... so a reference would be appreciated in future please.

• [predictable] i haven't got a clue, but it would be nice to get laid before then, just in case it actually is true. [/predictable]

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

• Trouble with all this stuff is that its based on mankinds egotistical ideas that we're the centre of all there is.Maybe the suns not 'moving to a unique spot in the sky',maybe its simply going to be in a place its been in countless times before but not recorded coz humans werent around to do so.And who says that it all forms a perfect alignment with 'the centre of the galaxy',we dont even know how far this galaxy extends in reality and given its one of many (no edge is there,and now we can 'look' further we know theres more planets,galaxys,'universes' beyond what we've previously known about and they might be part of 'this' galaxy too,if there are even objective distinctions between galaxys) its only our limited beliefs that make a certain point 'the centre'.And why would humankind be so important as to benefit or destruct because of what the stars do? Only in our own minds is that the case..if the planetary alignments have that much of an effect on life on earth then how come no ones worried about squirrels or dolphins having species ephinanys as a result of it? Its 'supposed' to be a 'gateway between the souls of every living creature' right? So whys the focus only ever on humans? Oh yeah,them egos..

Its utter bunk that goes against everything thats known about how species evolve and where human feelings etc come from,you really think 'cosmic understanding and divine love' is going to happen because of planetary alignments? Things like huge tidal waves and other earthly happenings might result from the position of the earth in relation to everything else (not neccessarily from this particular alignment) but a crystal munching 'shift of consciousness' really isnt going to.And as the world isnt going to end next year on the 21st of December most of us will be around to see the truth of that statement.
    There are plenty of things to get 'confused,upset' and worried about in reality so why add this bunkum to it?

Quote from Paul

Saying that however, there does seem to be a shifting of people's consciousness towards more spiritual things, and an increased wonderment at the Universe in general - or is there? It could just be the type of people I know.

It 'would' be the type of people you know to an extent,which doesnt make it any less true of those people but it cant be said of the world in general I dont think..and there are probably a fair few groups of people in non western societys who'd object to the idea that a move towards more spiritual things and wonderment at the universe are 'new' developments..

We're evolving,its an ongoing process that everything does and humankind has made leaps forward in technologies that allow us to have new information and awareness alongside the forward movement of our (as far as we know yet) 'unique' abilities to communicate as a species and share philosophical and spiritual ideas.The internet for instance has been huge in that,no other species (that we know of :p) has such a worldwide ability to reach other members of its species in such numbers.And those sort of things,along with how we behave towards each other,will keep shifting peoples beliefs and consciousness not some airy fairy cosmos thing.

• DayDreamer:
    my 2010 desk calendar ended on 31/12/2010
    I was quite scared for a while but it seems only the calendar stopped at that point and we're going to be ok.

maybe you can get some tablets from your doctor if this doesn't help

• my take is that if there's anything in it, it's not the end of the world but a cycle. i believe mayan fortune tellers or prophets or whatever could not see beyond 2012 so gathered that it was the ending of something...maybe a type of consciousness, i.e. at present we maybe in a logic, material based understanding. i reckon nothing will happen and as such it will be debunked, but then more and other things have been made of it perhaps than intended.

• It's referred to as the "end" of a precession cycle, which is the way the Earth wobbles on it's axis. The cycle lasts about 26000 years. There is nothing special at all about the position of heavenly bodies on that date; it only refers to the angle the Earth is at relevant to it's axis. On a particular day. At a particular time.

The solstice day is chosen to be the measurement point - in galactic terms, this is kind of meaningless. The solstices on earth are only relevant to earth, and it's seasons. There is nothing special about the sun itself, or any other heavenly body, on those dates - just the angle the sun appears from our planet. Therefore, in terms of so-called alignments with the galactic centre, any day of the year has just as much relevance - and what do you know, if you point at the sunrise on, say, february 5th it appears to be, yup, nowhere near the galactic centre.

Even if we assume that there is something special about the winter solstice in galactic terms, the choice of the year 2012 as the "end point" is also completely random. The way humans, who have occupied the Earth for a blink of an eye in it's lifetime, define the beginning and end of this wobble is based on what we think we know about the heavenly bodies we can see. We've only had telescopes for a small fraction of a precession cycle.
    So in 2012 (on a particular day, at a particular time) the sun points roughly to the centre of the milky way. So what? Perhaps in 2924, it will point to a different galaxy entirely that's the centre of the whole Universe. Maybe that should be the end point. My point is - what is actually special about that direction in the sky? For all we know, the light from the galactic centre could be bent and warped and actually coming from a completely different direction. Furthermore, where precisely is the centre of the galaxy? You can't find it on google maps.

In the meantime, the precession wobble has been going on, round and round it's slow methodical cycle for countless millions of years.

• It's referred to as the "end" of a precession cycle, which is the way the Earth wobbles on it's axis.

The Earths wobble is not perfect, it can and is modified by external events. Take the earthquake just off Japan, that changed the rotation and "wobble" very slightly and shortened the day by almost a micro-second. What would being hit a 6 mile lump of rock travelling at ~24,000mph do to our "procession cycle"? (that would be unhealthy for us, just as it was for the dinosaurs 65M years ago)

So in 2012 (on a particular day, at a particular time) the sun points roughly to the centre of the milky way. So what? Perhaps in 2924, it will point to a different galaxy entirely that's the centre of the whole Universe. Maybe that should be the end point. My point is - what is actually special about that direction in the sky?

Given that the sun doesn't have a front face, surely it always "points roughly to the centre of the milky way". There is nothing special about that direction in the sky.

For all we know, the light from the galactic centre could be bent and warped and actually coming from a completely different direction. Furthermore, where precisely is the centre of the galaxy? You can't find it on google maps.

Basic physics tells us where the centre of the galaxy is. Just as we are rotating around the sun, the solar system is (along with billions of other solar systems), rotating around the centre of the galaxy. It's the joy of gravity.

No, you can't find the centre of the galaxy with google maps (I just tried ;) ), but you can photograph it with large telescopes such as Hubble [ http://hubblesite.org/newscent…releases/2009/02/image/a/ - this also has a nice description of what you are seeing, and also what you are not seeing; the super-massive blackhole).

The world will end one day, probably toasted by the sun in 3 - 4 billion years. Humanity will have gone long before, maybe by an asteroid collision, volcanic activity, virus or some such thing and our seemingly primary position here will be replaced something else. If this magical gateway/portal appears on 21/12/2012 then I will eat my hat... hell, I'll even eat your hat as well.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

• Given that the sun doesn't have a front face, surely it always "points roughly to the centre of the milky way". There is nothing special about that direction in the sky.

No, sorry, I wasn't really clear enough. When I said "points" I was referring to the apparent position of the sun from the earth, against the backdrop of the rest of the visible universe. On that day (at that time) there is a direct alignment of earth, sun and (apparent position of) the galactic centre. However I agree that there is nothing special about that direction.

Basic physics tells us where the centre of the galaxy is. Just as we are rotating around the sun, the solar system is (along with billions of other solar systems), rotating around the centre of the galaxy. It's the joy of gravity.

You're probably right, I'm just one of those people who tends to question things. Physicists are always talking about warping of spacetime, quantum fluctuations etc. Given all this, I don't really know how they can be sure that light from something millions of light years away is actually travelling in a straight line.

• there is a theory about a planet coming into our view something about the annukai space men coming back,who made humans in a test tube?showing paintings of ufos on cave walls drawn by cavemen or tribes thousands of years ago,sort of lizard men?sorry lol very vague i know i saw it on google just typed in (end of the world)or something like that and all these conspiracy theories popped up and the annukai popped up a lot.could be true,who knows:)

• Post by kristini ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.