Japan earthquake

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Just picked up an email from a buddy working as a teacher in Tokyo, 8.9 shallow quake at approx 5.45am zulu off the coast of Japan causing massive damage with huge tsunamis, he says "this is the big one."

Beeb news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

My friend said his cat started growling at nothing so he grabbed the moggie, his laptop and his passport and legged it into the street seconds before quake struck, watching buildings swaying before heading for high ground.

Send those good hippie vibes across to those folk out there.

• I watched the news footage of the quake and then the following Tsunami. My sympathies and best Hippy vibes and wishes going out to all those poor unprepared people and the animals.

Im glad your mate got out in time,with his cat!

• the news is now saying that 200 - 300 bodys have been found along the coast of sendai.
    and that the first waves are starting to hit us main land around the origon area.

• I watched a clip on sky news, what gets me is the film crews in helicopters filming people waving for aid and rescue from upstairs windows, who just film, and dont actually assist those in trouble. to me that is wrong, assistance first, filming later.
    Grendel

• Grendel I think it is a case of chicken and egg really, if they don't film it then the world doesn't know to send aid, but I do understand what your saying. These guys may not have the experience or pilot skilled enough to actually help in that moment, but they can tell the world that the help is needed. My brother in law is stuck in Jakarta, they have delayed all the flights until they know more......will the worry never end....

• I've just been looking at some of the aftermath images on the news this morning - absolute devastation in some places....yet the sea is now tranquil with barely a ripple.

One slightly odd comment that I read - 'people spent the night in their offices because the lifts weren't working'...are office blocks built without stairs in Japan because it seemed a curious thing to do.

I was always taught to respect my elders but it keeps getting harder to find one.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Stardusts Dad ().

• probably a case of knowing it would take so long to get home and back that they wanted to be at work on time the next day, also maybe their houses had been damaged too.
    Grendel

• Looks like things are actually getting worse for Japan... this morning I read that there has been a blast at the Fukushima nuclear plant; the plant had already been damaged during the 'quake/tsunami... :(

Source

• There may well be more. A quake of that size is a massive release of pressure. The plates will have to do alot of balancing which cold bring smaller quakes and more waves. Hence the warning though I hope it's not needed.

Through violence you may solve one problem, but you will sow the seeds for another...

• Apparently this big shock has changed the shape of the plates so no one really knows what is going to happen, seems to have sketched my mate kenta out a bit anyway and he has lived most of his life in japan with earthquakes so it must be bad.

Mind you at least they were prepared for it, fairplay to the japanese, in most other countries it would be a lot worse. They'll have the place back to brand new inside 2 years.

• Quote from Triggerhippy

They'll have the place back to brand new inside 2 years.

And those hundreds of people will still be dead.Its a bit early to be so dismissive of the loss of life and damage to people lives isnt it?

Mind you at least they were prepared for it, fairplay to the japanese, in most other countries it would be a lot worse. They'll have the place back to brand new inside 2 years.

That won't be any comfort to
    The families of the dead and who have lost everything

voted nicest member..........thats what they think.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Chazz: fixed quote tags ().

• Although it's tragic for all the people who have lost loved ones, I think he makes a fair point that it could have been far, far worse. Japan is so well prepared for earthquakes that they have all the warning systems in place already so people had a bit of time to act. Had this been somewhere without the warning systems and well designed buildings I think we could easily be looking at a death toll at least ten times higher.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Although it's tragic for all the people who have lost loved ones, I think he makes a fair point that it could have been far, far worse. Japan is so well prepared for earthquakes that they have all the warning systems in place already so people had a bit of time to act. Had this been somewhere without the warning systems and well designed buildings I think we could easily be looking at a death toll at least ten times higher.

Definitely :ditto:

Through violence you may solve one problem, but you will sow the seeds for another...

• Have we all forgotten the recent Indonesian/thai tsunami? 200,000 dead in Indo alone, entire towns completely obliterated. It could have been so much worse.None of which is the slightest consolation to the poor Japanese, but it reminds me that we are lucky to have planning laws that don't allow property developers to build as they please. In the current climate we may need to stay on guard to ensure they stay that way. Big business doesn't like regulation, it's bad for profits and our government, well, you know about that of course.

Yes ... and then again no ... The town which got wiped off the face of the earth (pop. 17,000) was only 45-miles from the epicentre and, even if the authorities had time to sound the tsunami hooter, the townsfolk wouldn't have had time to get to high ground before the wave arrived. But Japan is better than some places in the world that can't afford to buy-in to the Pacific alert system.

On the press helicopter rescue front, they lack a winch for the job although a press helicopter did attempt to haul Washington DC air crash victims out of the frozen waters of the Potomac, down to it's skids, but is not advised. A flaming ball of plunging helicopter kinda adds to the background scenery of a disaster but does nothing to help. Not all pilots are ex-airforce or rescue trained.

My mate who legged it with his moggie said he felt such a fool - running for high ground assuming there'd be a tsunami when there wasn't. Said he followed his cat who has a naturual instinct for danger and was amazed when it kept stopping so he could catch up, doing that 'come on, hurry up, I don't have all day,' frown cats are so good at. Just before every after shock the mog would stand on its hind legs, forepaws scrabbling at his leg to be picked up and nested inside the guy's coat. A frightened ball of quivering fur. And the cat wasn't too happy either.

But I digress. I have a 'orrible feeling that nuclear reactor thing is a darn sight worse than they're saying - the tell-tale sign is resorting to pumping (corrosive salt) sea water in to cool the core. Me? I'd run away. Terribly fast.

• However insensitive it may be to film the victims from a helicopter, it informs. I saw the coverage and made a donation to the Shelterbox fund which is making good progress towards a £20K target to fund sending boxes of food, tents and clothes to be distributed among the homeless.

If you can spare a few pounds its a very worthwhile cause for them. I think given this degree of damage even a first-world, modern-ish nation like the Japanese will need significant help from the outside world for some time. Democracy only lasts until the 3rd missed meal

• But I digress. I have a 'orrible feeling that nuclear reactor thing is a darn sight worse than they're saying - the tell-tale sign is resorting to pumping (corrosive salt) sea water in to cool the core. Me? I'd run away. Terribly fast.

Which means that particular reactor is rendered permanently unusable.

And now it appears there's a third reactor not cooling/shutting down properly, with the knock-on effect that about 20% of Japan's nuclear capacity is out of use.