Was it really 40 years ago we saw the demise of LSD

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• No not that LSD......40 years ago that prize twat Heath who, without so much as a by your leave, got rid of our good old pounds, shillings and pence and foisted decimal on us.

Gone was the half crown and the tanner and the fripenny bit to be replaced by pounds and new peas.....and did they round prices down on change over day - did they buggery, so we had an almost overnight hike in inflation.

And the prize surely went to the government department who dreamed up that we shouldn't try and convert prices back....I still do to this day and it scares the hell out of me!!!!

• I was a child and I remember complaining bitterly that my one shilling pocket money was transformed instantly into just 5 new pennies, they kept saying it would buy the same amount but it didn't :(
    And birthdays used to guarantee a ten bob note, real paper money, and that transformed into a 50p piece that was far too noticable in your birthday card and guaranteed a hole in the envelope and a smiling postman.
    The imperial measurements may seem strange to kids brought upon metric, but they were based on the human body so they made sense, tip of your thumb was an inch, a stride was a yard etc etc while the metre was an arbitrary length that was derived from an innaccurate measurement of the equator.

• Don't get me started! The best thing about out old proper money was that foreigners couldn't understand it. As soon as we changed the economy was doomed! And I reckon us old farts can still do mental arithmetic better than the young whippersnappers. Every old barman could ace O level maths these days just from adding up the price of a round and the change...I was also foolish and got rid of my ten shilling note that I'd saved up because I wanted a new shiny 50p piece. I regretted it very soon afterwards, but it was exciting getting all these new shiny coins.

• they bought out the 1/2 p coin, just so they had something small in value, like the old 1d then very quickly got rid of it hmm then the smallest value was more like just over 2d - no more penny chews then.
    Grendel

• It was quite a long time, wasn't it, before the old shillings stopped being legal tender as five pence pieces? I'm sure until recently ( :oap: lol) we could use silver with the king's head on. Was it when they made the tens and fives smaller, or was it before then? My dad never stopped calling a five pence piece a shilling. I feel old now!

• You still could use an old shilling, or a florin (two shillings) if you could find one. I miss the old half crown (two shillings and sixpence), you really knew you had money with one of those in your pocket. Ain't that sad, we were rich with 12.5p!

• I remember still using shilling coins in the 80's when I was growing up along with 5pence coins.

And even though we were taught metric in school, I still use pounds and ounces plus I find feet and inches easier to picture in my head.

• In school I remember half penny chews,and we could get a number 6 ciggarette from the local shop for 7 and a half pence.

The same thing happened in france when the euro came in,and nearly all suppliers of everything was rounded up to the euro. most of the older people still have not grasped the change and are always asking me "how much is that in francs",which aint too hard as when I came out here there was ten france to the pound,so after converting pound to euro,the maths were easy.

The one thing that the french look upto in the brits,is the fact that the pound is still going.The majority here would like the franc back.

Fly

• I bet the French would like the Franc back, I'm horrified how much things went up in the year or two following the arrival of the euro and all the French people I've talked to agree, though I haven't heard them demanding a return to the Franc.

• I wasn't born until 1984 but I think a lot of us in my generation are kind stuck somewhere between the two when it comes to measurement units. I understand metres and centimetres and I understand inches. I don't understand yards but I understand feet. I understand stone and pounds but I don't understand kilograms. Mind you I was always hopeless at maths in school so maybe I'm a bit of an eejit when it comes picking things up but I feel like I'm neither here nor then when it comes to metric and imperial. When I was at uni in the states I had to do all my technical drawings and models in imperial and I found it easier than in metric now I'm home it's back to metric again. I'd rather have a better understanding of metric and less of imperial though because it's simpler to have the commonality with the other countries.

• I'm an '85 baby and have no idea about old money, but when it comes to measurements and weights I've found I'll estimate things in imperial but measure them in metric (except weighing myself which is always stones/pounds) I have no idea why I do this as I was never really taught imperial but several of my friends do the same thing. Odd.

• I know this is drifting away from the topic,but is in a way connected all the same,but personally I find the metric system far more logic and much easier to follow,than imperial. Imperial is for me an outdated system which should be modernised so that the rest of the world can talk measurements with us brits. I have been out of britain since my mid to late twenties and am now only thinking in metric,and when I am looking to buy something on ebay or the likes of,and I get british measurements,often enough I cant be arsed to figure out the sums involved(and I am good at mathamatics). but surely a system of everything being a one percent of a hundred is eay to follow,isnt it? That is what the romans did for us!!!!!

• Stuff I know

2.54cm to the inch. 12 inches in a foot. A metre is a 100cm or approximately 3ft 3inches. 3ft in a yard so a yard is just shy of 1m. A kilometre is 1000m and a mile is 1600m but I don't know how many yards are in a mile. Area stumps me, I don't have a clue when it comes to acres (imperial) or hectares (metric), think a hectare is 100 square metres but I can't actually visualise that in my head.

1 pint is 16fluid oz. 1litre is 2.2pints. A US gallon is less (in volume) than a UK gallon and it's roughly 4 litres to a UK gallon.

I use pounds and ounces when cooking - much prefer working with 1/2/3oz than in multiples of 25g. But then, cook books give you a choice of 25g or 1oz but 1oz is 28.5g so to me it would make more sense to round up your metric measurements to 30g to 1oz.

However, I actually don't have a clue about old money. Except that a new 5p was/is equivalent to 1 old shilling, and that's only because, like I said, I remember using shilling coins when I was little. Oh, and I do remember half penny sweets as well :)

Oh, my poor head!

:bang:

• I know this is drifting away from the topic,but is in a way connected all the same,but personally I find the metric system far more logic and much easier to follow,than imperial. Imperial is for me an outdated system which should be modernised so that the rest of the world can talk measurements with us brits. I have been out of britain since my mid to late twenties and am now only thinking in metric,and when I am looking to buy something on ebay or the likes of,and I get british measurements,often enough I cant be arsed to figure out the sums involved(and I am good at mathamatics). but surely a system of everything being a one percent of a hundred is eay to follow,isnt it? That is what the romans did for us!!!!!

Oooooh go and wash your mouth out with soap and water....how can you not appreciate Imperial :curse:

• Not Bad, except that there are 10,000 square metres in a hectare, which means its 100 by 100. There are 2.5 acres in a hectare. A pint is 20 fluid ounces, which is why it weighs a pound and a quarter. An american pint has only sixteen ounces, and there are just over 28 grammes to the ounce. Otherwise, not bad. :D

• lol For the hectare I meant 100 metres squared (so 100x100m like you said) not 100 square metres. My pint jug in the kitchen only has 16fl oz marked on it so it must be American :D :D

And I did say 28.5g to an oz which you could argue is just over 28g

I done alright for an 80's kid though :p

• It always makes me laugh that anyone selling dope has always got an eighth of an ounce for sale,or an ounce or a kilo!!!!!! why is this? because there is a bigger demand on the european mainland maybe!
    you would imagine that from ounces that they would switch to pounds,but obviously having a kilo is far cooler than having 2.20459 pounds.

Julian,shame on you,everyone knows that a hectare is 2.471 acres. remind me not to buy land off you.

love and light

fly

• it seems they aren't quite sure how heavy a kilo is anymore, I always thought that one litre of water weighed one kilo, but apparently a kilo is defined by the weight of a cylinder made of platinum and iridium and locked in a vault, trouble is the weight of this cylinder is changing

the kilogram's mass relative to several identical copies seems to be decreasing ever so slightly. The shift is troubling because there is no way to tell whether the copies are getting heavier, or the original is getting lighter.

clickety click

• I used to get a threppenny bit pocket money
    You could get two ounce of sherbet a Spanish a fudge and a couple of chews

My dad bought a shop twelve months after we went decimal I can remember him cursing all the time about the new money

I still have a collection of old money somewere
    I remember dad saying pas it on to your grandkids and they can pass it on be worth something lol

• Who can remember farthing's? I think you could get 4 blackjack's for a penny.Half a crown,2 made 5 bob or sometimes called an oxford scholar (dollar).With 5 bob you had cracked it,that could buy you 40 senior service and a bottle of king fling and you still would have bundles left for the pictures and ice cream.

• When I were a lad.....petrol was 4/6d a gallon ..... about 23 pence....and three condoms were 3/9d......and you could get a seat in the back row of the ABC for 1/6d - mind you it was still a lot when you were earning less than a fiver a week.......

• Child of the eighties here as well. I'm fine with feet and inches, or metres and centimetres, but weighing things and measuring liquids.....forget it! I've never managed to get my head round that one!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain