Problems finding work

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• It's odd really, coz i usually try to employ people who aren't sheep, coz i find them more interesting, and as I've gotta spend 1/3 of my life at work I'd prefer to do it with people capable of independant thought!

:-)

isnt that just the same as "normal people" picking other norms? iv never had any probs with my dreads, and mine arent neat but i tie them up and no employer has ever mentioned them and while at work i have been asked about them but in an interested rather than disapproving way. maybe i am just really bad at telling what people think but i dont think im that bad. you gotta appear normal and on their wave length, same as you would expect someone to do for you. i dont think it is all about your dreads but on occasion it might be which is crap considering what work you are looking for but hope you find something soon xxx

• isnt that just the same as "normal people" picking other norms? iv never had any probs with my dreads, and mine arent neat but i tie them up and no employer has ever mentioned them and while at work i have been asked about them but in an interested rather than disapproving way. maybe i am just really bad at telling what people think but i dont think im that bad. you gotta appear normal and on their wave length, same as you would expect someone to do for you. i dont think it is all about your dreads but on occasion it might be which is crap considering what work you are looking for but hope you find something soon xxx

I don't think it is the same as normal people staying with other normal ones - i do it for a reason - "different" people in my experience think more about stuff, work hard, and as long as they are treated with respect they return the same. If it takes you a bit longer to find a job, you will be less inclined to lose it. That said, if a "straight" (for want of a more suitable word) comes for a job and impresses me, then they'll get the job - I'm just more inclined than most to try to get the interesting people working for me.

I'm not sure that makes sense, but i know what i mean! may edit that later when desk is clear!

• I don't think it is the same as normal people staying with other normal ones - i do it for a reason - "different" people in my experience think more about stuff, work hard, and as long as they are treated with respect they return the same. If it takes you a bit longer to find a job, you will be less inclined to lose it. That said, if a "straight" (for want of a more suitable word) comes for a job and impresses me, then they'll get the job - I'm just more inclined than most to try to get the interesting people working for me.

I'm not sure that makes sense, but i know what i mean! may edit that later when desk is clear!

i do not what you mean and i would prolly be exactly the same. but its sticking with your own kind, whether thats a minority or majority its natural for people to do and the reasons behind your choices might be different but i still think its the same kind of thing to a straight picking a straight. i may not be wording this very well!

• I don't think it is the same as normal people staying with other normal ones - i do it for a reason - "different" people in my experience think more about stuff, work hard, and as long as they are treated with respect they return the same. If it takes you a bit longer to find a job, you will be less inclined to lose it. That said, if a "straight" (for want of a more suitable word) comes for a job and impresses me, then they'll get the job - I'm just more inclined than most to try to get the interesting people working for me.

i do not what you mean and i would prolly be exactly the same. but its sticking with your own kind, whether thats a minority or majority its natural for people to do and the reasons behind your choices might be different but i still think its the same kind of thing to a straight picking a straight. i may not be wording this very well!

• I had long hair for decades - yer typical long-haired weirdo - with dreads for the last eight years and only once did a potential employer mention it along the lines of genuine interest, bemused as to how they stayed in, were they extentions(?), no they're me and that was it. Mind you, I did have an arty career so it was almost expected to be a bit odd.

I guess it depends if your dreads are going to be near harmful moving parts, as above drills and long hair don't mix. Well not for very long anyway.

'Course if its a religous thing - rastafarism - then you're in the clear. Depends how much you want the job?

• Pagan - I've been looking for very ordinary work (legal secretary) for more than three months since moving to a *larger* town and got nada until today, and it's temp! I've gotten a lot of interest from the agencies - and even online - and a solid CV, but things are tighter 'n a bug's bum these days, there's cometition, plain and simple, In my case I suspect my being american is counting against me, when times are hard bosses want familiar, known quantities. Follow up, be assertive, walk into places and ask, and talk to everyone you meet about what you would like to do - people talk to others and friends of friends of friends often come up with something. I have gotten work this way in the past. Now that I'm older I am less afraid to ask - I have something to give to my community, but if I don't tell them how will they know? Good luck, dready lady. ;-)

• I saw a guy yesterday I think he was with the council cutting the branches off, he had dreads and was very cute :o
    Try places that would accept them like a hippy shop or health store. Not places where you have to look smart like posh shops etc, or where it wouldnt make any difference. I dont think you should cut them off you just need to find where you are supposed to be. If your not claiming then its really your choice :)

• I work for a childrens charity and in my interview i turned up wearing newrocks, tattoo's out and stretched ear lobe on display! Then told them that this is the real me and i wanted them to see it, but i would never dress like that for work and didnt want to give them a false image during the interview! They thanked me and i got the job :-) even park my bus on the car park with chimney smokin and they just smile :-)