Crapping myself over interview

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hey there, I haven't posted in a long while due to a lot of things, but I have been skulking occaisionally and keeping up to date :angel:

Part of the reason ive been so absent on here is because im in my final year of uni now and i have impending exams of doom next week and also a couple of interviews for PhDs including

which im not quite sure how I've landed, I'm really rather hopelessly underqualified and stressed and not posh enough to even go to the interview. I've no idea how to manage preparing for these (i have another couple at different unis lined up as well) and pass the exams...

anyway... i just wanted to get that off my chest really. if anyone has any tips on how to do interviews without collapsing in a nervous jelly wreck id be really grateful.

xxxx

• I can't offer you any tips , but don't worry hun your not the only one who worries about interviews i was s**ting my self this week going for Job interviews :hug:

• thanks guys :) ill make sure i eat before i go in, i usually use interviews as an excuse to stuff myself with crap for the 'energy' :p

I'm also pretty chuffed I got some invites for interviews (just in case you thought i was all doom and gloom), but mostly cacking myself!

• p.s. I hope your interviews went really well Joss! :hippy: best of luck x

Thanks mate and yes it did i start my new job momday :D
    wish i had known about the eating i love food :D

• practice some breathing excersises that you can use to help control your nervosity,but dont try and relax too much as (if I am remembering righly) adrenaline releases endorphins which will help you control the interview,hold on I will just nip over to google for verification-back in to what will seem like no time at all for you and maybe two minutes for me.

Ok endorphins as explained by wikipedia

Endorphins ("endogenous morphine") are endogenous opioid peptides that function as neurotransmitters.[1] They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during exercise,[2] excitement, pain, consumption of spicy food, love and orgasm,[3][4] and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a feeling of well-being.
    The term "endorphin" implies a pharmacological activity (analogous to the activity of the corticosteroid category of biochemicals) as opposed to a specific chemical formulation. It consists of two parts: endo- and -orphin; these are short forms of the words endogenous and morphine, intended to mean "a morphine-like substance originating from within the body."[5]
    The term endorphin rush has been adopted in popular speech to refer to feelings of exhilaration brought on by pain, danger, or other forms of stress,[2] supposedly due to the influence of endorphins. When a nerve impulse reaches the spinal cord, endorphins are released which prevent nerve cells from releasing more pain signals. Immediately after injury, endorphins allow animals to feel a sense of power and control over themselves that allows them to persist with activity for an extended time.

also be yourself and be true,and if you are realy the person for the post in question then you may well get it,but you must believe.

good luck

Love and light

Fly

• interviewer: "and where do you see yourself in 5 years time"
    me: "doing time for throttling the last person to ask me that question"

Aren't interview wondrous events. :whistle:

• seriously though, I view interviews as much about me assessing them, as them assessing me. I've even stopped an interview mid-point explaining that I didn't think the job was for me. If I feel like I have some control, I feel a lot less nervous.

• My advice would be to look at the subject you are going to do the interview for and really swot up on it. Dig up as much information as you can and read read read. You are most certainly going to be asked about how much you know already and are probably going to be grilled at some length about it, however don't let this put you off. Showing that you have done some background research is likely to impress the interviewer and score you brownie points.

• Woohoo! :woohoo: nice one! :D :thumbup:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• thanks everyone :) all i have to do now is get the entry grade at the end of the year so they'll admit me! They want a 2.1. I have an exam tomorrow :eek: its much more scary now because i have something to lose now...