Fire extinguisher protestor jailed

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Thoughts?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/educ…inguisher-protests-jailed

• Irresponsible of the 18 year-old, without a doubt. He could have killed someone easily, which would be attemted involuntary homocide? Doesn't really make sense. Depending on his motives it could even be just attemted homocide. Even if it was a crime of passion, I think it's a reasonable sentence.

• Harsh - 1st offence
    There are a lot of lads running free with a lot more offences under their belts

He is being made an example of

Agreed, bit of a twit, but, given the real consequences, doesn't really deserve that.

• yes what he did was stupid and incredibly dangerous, but for a first offence perhaps a bit over the top - no one was injured, thats the sort of sentence people get for actually hurting people intentionally

• It was a stupid thing to do and could have easily lead to someone being killed - they fact that no one was shouldn't enter into it, it was probably sheer luck. However I think that, although a custodial sentance is appropriate, the term is a bit harsh....

• It was a stupid thing to do and could have easily lead to someone being killed - they fact that no one was shouldn't enter into it, it was probably sheer luck. However I think that, although a custodial sentance is appropriate, the term is a bit harsh....

Actually it does, funnily enough. By the same token if you give someone a gentle shove, they fall over and hit their head and it turns out that they had a thin skull which was consequently fractured and they die, you get done for murder, it doesn't make any difference that you had no intention of killing him or that you didn't expect him to have a thin skull. In this case no-one was hurt, end of, what might have happened is not really strictly relevant.

• It was a stupid thing to do and could have easily lead to someone being killed - the fact that no one was shouldn't enter into it,

What an odd statement. If I'm driving too fast and someone stumbles into the road, then either:

(a) I swerve and miss them. I'm guilty of speeding.

(b) I hit them and kill them. I'm guilty of causing death by dangerous driving.

Whether someone actually IS injured by an action should and does "enter into it".

• likewise there is a seperate charge for murder and attempted murder. however never heard of attempted manslaughter. i.e. if it wasnt pre meditated then the act is not relevent if nobody was hurt.

• i dont know about the system but i dont see why its so harsh, he knew exactly what he was doing and shouldnt have done it, he deserves what he got.

• I think this could be case making an exsample of, he was caught up in the vibe, got carried away, i dont think it was intensional but that dosnt take away from the fact he could have killed somebody, i was there, that extingusher landed 10 feet away from me, personaly i think its a fair sentance, not to be bias but he could of bloody killed me!

Taking Life To Seriously? Just Remember We Are Talking Monkeys On An Organic Spaceship.

• I think this could be case making an exsample of, he was caught up in the vibe, got carried away, i dont think it was intensional but that dosnt take away from the fact he could have killed somebody, i was there, that extingusher landed 10 feet away from me, personaly i think its a fair sentance, not to be bias but he could of bloody killed me!

I experience idiot drivers on the road at least once a week who could have bloody killed me. They don't - and shouldn't - end up going to jail for over two years. I agree punishment is appropriate, but a long custodial sentence is disproportionate, unnecessary and political in nature. Even a couple of months in prison would have rocked his world and probably ruined his life.

• i dont know about the system but i dont see why its so harsh, he knew exactly what he was doing and shouldnt have done it, he deserves what he got.

32 months is pretty long though. When you think about it, it's over 2 and a half years... And I know he won't serve the entire sentence, but that's not the point. Obviously it was a stupid thing to do and the idiot shouldn't have done it, but it seems like they haven't even taken any of the other factors into consideration and just primarily been concerned with making an example out of him. I mean, I have seen people do things just as stupid and violent where people actually have been hurt and they barely got a slap on the wrist.

Locking a kid up purely as a means of deterring others from doing similar things is wrong in my opinion. It's totally political and not in the best interests of anybody.

• 32 months is pretty long though. When you think about it, it's over 2 and a half years... And I know he won't serve the entire sentence, but that's not the point. Obviously it was a stupid thing to do and the idiot shouldn't have done it, but it seems like they haven't even taken any of the other factors into consideration and just primarily been concerned with making an example out of him. I mean, I have seen people do things just as stupid and violent where people actually have been hurt and they barely got a slap on the wrist.

Locking a kid up purely as a means of deterring others from doing similar things is wrong in my opinion. It's totally political and not in the best interests of anybody.

:ditto:

• I experience idiot drivers on the road at least once a week who could have bloody killed me. They don't - and shouldn't - end up going to jail for over two years. I agree punishment is appropriate, but a long custodial sentence is disproportionate, unnecessary and political in nature. Even a couple of months in prison would have rocked his world and probably ruined his life.

Granted we put ourseleves in these kind of situations, although drivings a tad differnt. The sentance, well maybe abit long, i dont agree with him being made an exsample of, it wont deter people once they've got it in there head. He fucked up and is going to have to deal with the consiqunecs, its a fucked up system and if you knowingly put yourself in it there's only you to blame.

Taking Life To Seriously? Just Remember We Are Talking Monkeys On An Organic Spaceship.

• Granted we put ourseleves in these kind of situations, although drivings a tad differnt. The sentance, well maybe abit long, i dont agree with him being made an exsample of, it wont deter people once they've got it in there head. He fucked up and is going to have to deal with the consiqunecs, its a fucked up system and if you knowingly put yourself in it there's only you to blame.

I don't really care who's "to blame". That's not really the best point from which to determine a rational and humane response. We all fuck up and make mistakes, after all.

• ...its a fucked up system and if you knowingly put yourself in it there's only you to blame.

God, if that's true then we may as well all lob fire extinguishers off buildings and just give up altogether!

What about if you smoke weed and get caught? Are you not putting yourself in 'the system' then? Are you still to blame if you get shoved in prison for a couple of years? You knowingly broke the law, so are you not to blame for whatever happens to you?

Punishments should always be fair on those affected by the crime and that includes the person breaking the law. The case of this 18 year old lad does not reflect that at all.

• In the end, he broke a fire extinguisher and possibly the paving stone it landed on, and he probably scared the crap out of the people nearby. He's been arrested and banged up (or was he bailed?) and doubtless scared in return. Whatever sentence they gave him I can't see him doing it again. Unless they teach him safecracking in Brixton. I wonder if even the people at the bottom of the building would have asked for a prison sentence, after all, they were the ones he endangered. I can't see it myself.
    As a matter of interest, what did they actually charge him with?

• The way this fooked society works he'll probably get out after two thirds of his sentence and then get paid a fortune by one of the papers that have been baying for his blood, for his story.
    'How I Survived My Prison Hell'
    I feel sorry for the bloke I really do, he's gonna be shitting himself, A couple of weeks would have stopped him ever doing it again, and fucked his job opportunities for a few years.

And do you think if it had hit you, you would have got any sympathy from those who opposed the marches?
    As far as they're concerned it would've been your fault for being there you nasty lazy anarchist student you:D

Really? He deserves to be locked up until he is 20 for not thinking clearly... so by that line every person who I see driving a car whilst talking on their mobile phone should also be locked up for two years... I have to say that I do think this is really harsh, this boy has been used as an example... personally I feel that community service/fine would have been more appropriate as means of punishment.