Parking a caravan on public road

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi guys, my friend has a small garage for his car. Its his own garage, he got it when he bought the house. Now we know that the garage itself is his own land and we sometimes park my campervan in front of it which is okay as no-one else could park there as they would be blocking access to the garage.

Now the big question is , can we leave a caravan parked in front of the garage? I guess its public land really. just what are the rules about parking unlicensed vehicles ( cos i guess thats what a caravan is ). I am being stroppy here but what about a horse and cart? or one of those large market trader wheelbarrow things? is there a loophole?

any help really appreciated.

reg

• public land is a confusing desciption. who owns the land? could be the local parish council, local county council, local housing association, could be highways agency,.. who owns the land makes a difference.

• Our house is right on the pavement, we have no garden, garage etc. Our friends have their trailer outside our house on the road, it's about as big as a small caravan and is a good 6ft high, the couple at the end of the road have a trailer tent which is up most of the year, and numerous hippies park up, down our street and live in their vehicles (not so many at the mo, because it's been snowy). I think it all depends on where you live and whether your neighbours are going to complain about it.

We come with justice and fire. We come with honour and ideas. We come with decency and desire. We come now and we come as unstoppable as the rain

• Our house is right on the pavement, we have no garden, garage etc. Our friends have their trailer outside our house on the road, it's about as big as a small caravan and is a good 6ft high, the couple at the end of the road have a trailer tent which is up most of the year, and numerous hippies park up, down our street and live in their vehicles (not so many at the mo, because it's been snowy). I think it all depends on where you live and whether your neighbours are going to complain about it.

Careful. You'll become the official UKH park-up before you know it! :p

And your postcode is? :whistle:

• Ha! i do live in hippy bridge, i suspect the locals are quite tolerant compared to some places. For OP it's worth looking on google street view to see what people get away with locally

We come with justice and fire. We come with honour and ideas. We come with decency and desire. We come now and we come as unstoppable as the rain

• i think that technically your not meant to, but i think it mainly depends on if other locals complain about it and then you can get loads of letters stuck on saying has to be moved in so many days, has to have a light on it, has to face the right direction blah blah. that was in bristol, other councils may have different rules but tbh i would leave it where it is and face any problems/complaints when/if they ever come. specially as its not blocking anyone elses view or anything, should be fine

• i think that technically your not meant to, but i think it mainly depends on if other locals complain about it and then you can get loads of letters stuck on saying has to be moved in so many days, has to have a light on it, has to face the right direction blah blah. that was in bristol, other councils may have different rules but tbh i would leave it where it is and face any problems/complaints when/if they ever come. specially as its not blocking anyone elses view or anything, should be fine

Thanks for views, I am going to follow the 'heads down' approach and see what happens. think I might get one of those grey plastic covers to make it less conspicuous.