shitting bricks

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• no this isnt about constipation...

i am starting capoeira classes tonight and all of a sudden i've got the fear

'why did i think i could do this? i'm unfit' is the most frequent thought

obviously i know everything has to start somewhere but i have never been a physical kind of person and the thought of being in an 'exercise' environment with fit people is freaking me right out!!! this is easily the most challenging thing i have done regards to exercise but i am adamant i am going to do it...

*wibble*

• If its a good class, everyone will want you to succeed, and they won't push you harder than you can manage. Good luck, it should be great fun and leave you feeling really good. I studied Escrima with Bill for over a year and it was brilliant. One of the instructors was brazilian and a capoeira master too, it's all good.

• EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE my favourite animal - i actually vibrate with excitement when i see a capybara :)

cheers coyote ;)

• You will fine you may not be the only newbie, just have fun :)

ta hun - i'm properly stressed even though i know it's irrational!

If its a good class, everyone will want you to succeed, and they won't push you harder than you can manage. Good luck, it should be great fun and leave you feeling really good. I studied Escrima with Bill for over a year and it was brilliant. One of the instructors was brazilian and a capoeira master too, it's all good.

cheers joojoo - i keep telling myself that that they will want to share their love of capoeira with a newbie

the really silly secret fear i have is

• janna you will be just fine. i am queen of fear and you are nothing like me. im sure not everyone will be exercise freaks and you should give yourself more credit, i seen you carry maya for ages without any look of difficulty, your not unfit :)

• When I started escrima, I used to have to go outside and cough everything up after about 10 minutes before I could go on. I can remember Bill having to sit down once or twice because he was about to faint too after half hour intense exercises. Nobody thought anything of it and the instructor encouraged Bill to take a rest before he damaged himself. One thing to remember, be sure to take plenty to drink. Barley water or something similar. Do not get fizzy "sports" drinks, they sit on your stomach and churn. Apart from that, strap the boobies down, and have fun. You'll feel great when you finish, but I warn you, these things are addictive!

• cheers hannah :) you're right you know

might not be going now - jon (who some of you know) is gonna do it with me and he's pulled his neck - the class is in Launceston so i can't get there now :( i'm trying to persuade him to come anyways and watch - otherwise i'll be starting on the 17th cos next monday is my birthday

• cheers julian :) good point about the drinks - i'm so out of my comfort zone with this it's incredible but thats part of the point innit?

i need to a trip to plymouth to buy some kind of industrial strength undergarments i think ;)

aaaaah as always it comes back to the twins - though this time it is a serious concern!!!

• thanx for the wishes guys but i didnt go...

i'll be back here on the 17th no doubt shitting bricks all over again

• Capoeira isnt a great martial art for fighting, anyone i've ever fought from a capoeira background (Im a shotokan Shodan -that said i havn't practiced in about 2 years-) got destroyed pretty quickly. It is however great fun, looks cool and you'll have a right laugh doing it.
    As with any martial art you have to have indomitable will. Never give up.
    Even if you are doing terribly the fact that you wont give up will get you a lot of respect.

• Your boobies will look awesome doing capoeira. :D :thumbup:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Capoeira isnt a great martial art for fighting, anyone i've ever fought from a capoeira background (Im a shotokan Shodan -that said i havn't practiced in about 2 years-) got destroyed pretty quickly. It is however great fun, looks cool and you'll have a right laugh doing it.
    As with any martial art you have to have indomitable will. Never give up.
    Even if you are doing terribly the fact that you wont give up will get you a lot of respect.

i'm not interested in fighting.

the fact i am a stubborn mare who refuses to give up will stand me in good stead then ;)

• Your boobies will look awesome doing capoeira. :D :thumbup:

cheers chick :hug: am off out to buy a kick ass sports bra before the 17th - didn't realise what a big deal the melonage was til this thread

• no! i knew what it was but didn't know the name - then a friend said they had children's classes in capoeira and when i looked it up for Zac i realised it was the cool thing i already knew about! he's not old enough to start til he's 5 so i'm doing it on my own for now and hopefully this will encourage him to do it at the children's level :)

• It's pretty normal to feel the fear before doing something new - especially when it's physical with people you don't know, everyone can see you fuck up! But as usual with these things, once you're there and stop thinking about it, the fear will leave you.

Back in my youf, I was going to start going to a karate class with my housemate - it was on a university campus but I wasn't at the uni. I was absolutely crapping myself, so much so that I didn't eat all day and barely had a sip of water. Then my bloody housemate said that he wasn't going but that he'd drive me there. It would've been so easy for me to not go, but go I did! I nearly collapsed during the warm up due to the lack of food and liquid (duh) but I kept going back and got my first belt!

You'll be absolutely fine and you'll feel so good once you've actually got out there and done something different.

• cheers for that whirler x you're right (nice one on the karate!) and i shall learn from your mistake and make sure i eat something...

funny thing is, cos i didnt go on the 3rd i'm not too worried about next week now - i think i burnt off the anxiety - now to try and remember the the anticipation is ALWAYS worse than the reality ;) i just hope i dont fall over or something equally as silly ;)

• cheers for that whirler x you're right (nice one on the karate!) and i shall learn from your mistake and make sure i eat something...

funny thing is, cos i didnt go on the 3rd i'm not too worried about next week now - i think i burnt off the anxiety - now to try and remember the the anticipation is ALWAYS worse than the reality ;) i just hope i dont fall over or something equally as silly ;)

Don't worry about falling over, when I did escrima classes we spent half our time being thrown on the floor. It's great when it's your turn to do the throwing and you realise you CAN flatten the huge bloke. :D

• I hope you have a great time! I've been wanting to take up Capioera for a long time, but i haven't been able to work up the nerve to do it :o

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change we seek."

Barack Hussein Obama, 44th President of the United States.