what do you look for

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• ok all you nomads!! in the event of a planned breakdown what do you look for?
    I ask this because trundle has a suspect head/head gaskit so today i parked up and removed the head, it goes for testing on monday, but in my situation what would you look for in a place to effect repairs?
    Im on a nice flat dead end road, just passed a level crossing with a river on the otherside, said railway is a steam railway and this weekend the tornado is running which is a brand newly buit steam locomotive, will get pics tomorrow been busy today, im about 5 miles from a performance cylinder head workshop, less than a mile from supermarket, many nice river walks from the door, and a good pub so what sort of place would you park and why? :D

• Sounds like a well chosen spot. If I just had a relatively small, say one or two day job such as changing kingpins, then I'd park on or next to a suitable Industrial Estate. But for the engine rebuild it was a bit of land on the edge of a forest, owned by the helpful local mechanic...couldn't have chosen better for that one.

• got to put it all back together before i get to kill the batterys :)

Rather you than me...I like to keep my 3/4 drive sockets for bearing bashing rather than PSV fettling...

Good luck with it anyway. I've never heard of a 4 litre Merc suffering from a cracked head, so fingers crossed it's just the gasket...;-)

• Head is fine, :) being skimmed and having valves re seated and cleaned not heard about injectors yet they hope to test them late today to check for flow before cleaning or rebuilding them