CAPS LOCK ALERT... CLOCKS GO BACK TOMORROW NIGHT!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• [/capslock]
    (2 am, Sunday 31st)
    That means it's going to be *even darker*

PLUS. Every time it flipping snows, the authorities in the UK are like, "Oh no. Snow. Wow. What do we dooo? :panic: We'd better close all the schools, oh and a few roads, and maybe get some of that grainy, sandy stuff to throw about a bit... what's it called again..." for goodness sake. :rolleyes: After forcing us to have an extra hour of darkness, it's pretty lame to be so badly organised where roads are concerned.

All begs the question: Why are we living half the year in the Wrong. Bloody. Climate?

And everything is just so soggy, and just... dark! Aaagh!

• Noooo. Bloody dark nights again. Why do they insist on buggering about with the clocks, as if it wasn't dark and miserable enough anyway. On the plus side, an extra hours kip is...no, not really enough of a bribe.

• [/capslock]
    (2 am, Sunday 29th)

I think you'll find today is the 29th, and the clocks go back on Sunday the 31st. ;)

But yes, I second everything else you said!
    Makes life so dismal when it gets dark at 4. :(

• The catch is, if they stockpiled extra grit and it turns out to be a mild winter....they'd get slated for wasting money :insane:

If everyone bought a bag of rocksalt, costing about a tenner, they could grit outside their house and hey presto the roads would be gritted. Or they could let a little air out of their tyres so that they can drive on snow. And here's the real biggy.....realise that you skid in the snow so slow the feck down :rtfm:

But yeah, cold and gray and dark and damp...light candles, eat soup, snuggle under blankets :thumbup: :D

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• am glad the clocks are going back... it means that charlie will leave for his mile-long walk to school in the daylight instead of the dark

• Or the council could all give us all a bumbag of the stuff, and we can grit as we walk ;)

No. They'd insist you wore a hi-viz and passed a hazardous rock-salt operators training course, after passing your CRB checks and were then appropriately qualified to spread rock salt, under appropriate supervision. By which time it would be summer, the snow would melt, the budget would have been spent according to plan and the council would hail the scheme as a great success, having only costs £300 per household.

• :damn: Oh I'm sorry, how'd I do that, what a divvy. Wish I could edit it now! Thankyou, and hope I don't confuse anyone. :o

Yes. 2 am, Sunday 31st

No worries, I make the same sorts of mistakes ALL the time.
    It's probably why I notice when other people do it. :D

• There is a campaign afoot to go back to war-time double summer time which means we fit our life schedules around the daylight hours. Bad news for the Scots though who are opposed to this - dawn at 10am. It was brought back in 1968(?) as an experiement but not repeated since. All those in favour, support your local Tory to get it passed through.

• Makes life so dismal when it gets dark at 4. :(

Im soooooo the opposite,now... but a few yrs ago the words above coulda come out of my mouth.

now
    nice long cwtchy winters evenings :)
    after watching the tree's all around me change their coats :wub:
    put on their autumn show before they drop their leaves for winter.
    ( for me,photography..lots of both camera and mind n memory moments)

• PLUS. Every time it flipping snows, the authorities in the UK are like, "Oh no. Snow. Wow. What do we dooo? :panic: We'd better close all the schools, oh and a few roads, and maybe get some of that grainy, sandy stuff to throw about a bit... what's it called again..."

Em, that would be the English authorities....us up here in Scotland might have a moan about the weather but at least due to our constant receipt of shite weather, we know how to get on with it!

My dad moved down to Devon about 6 years ago and phoned me up to tell me that they had about an inch of snow and all the schools were closed, shops shut, people were actually abandoning their cars in the roads! Meanwhile, we're all here trudging to school/work/whatever in 2ft of the white stuff!

• No. They'd insist you wore a hi-viz and passed a hazardous rock-salt operators training course, after passing your CRB checks and were then appropriately qualified to spread rock salt, under appropriate supervision. By which time it would be summer, the snow would melt, the budget would have been spent according to plan and the council would hail the scheme as a great success, having only costs £300 per household.

You jest.. But in Tewkesbury the borough council was promoting community litterpicking days. But you had to attend a training session, get signed up and then you got yer hi-vis and lever action litter picker upper thingumy - and you couldn't join in the community litterpicking days until you had done all of this :rolleyes:

And incidentally to those interested, there are folks on t'web selling bags of rock salt from around £4.90 each, plus delivery

• i see no reason why the scots and english need the same time..... think how great the train timetables would read.. leaving at 11..arriving half an hour before you left :-)

Many a true word. Their was no standard time in the UK until the advent of trains, when they realised that timetables would be impossible if everyone was working to different times. So Ner! :pp

• :eek: Julian, have you been standing too close to a furnace!! Hang your head in shame and write out 100 x 'I must use the correct homophone when posting on UKHippy!'
    Pedant...me? :whistle:

Oh bollocks, I blame the flu, it's not one of my normal gramatal, grammer, gribble, gramialogic.....spelling mistakes.

• Dammit my phone didn't change itself and I was too tipsy last night to remember despite having read this thread, so I'm up an hour earlier than I should be. :rolleyes:

• Oh and don't change your watch by winding the hands back; it really doesn't like it. :(