periods - wonderful or work of the devil?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I personally hate having a period. I feel grubby & disgusting when i have it. It makes me hate being female.
    I get really bad cramps & the pmt makes my depression worse. I hate that for one week every month i have to live with this disgustingness.
    Talking to my step mum last night she seem to think there was some thing drasticly wrong with me that i feel this way, she was telling me that i must 'embrace my femininity' & 'learn to love my period'!
    Any other girlies out there feel the same way as me? Is there something wrong with me that i feel this way?

im xxx

* Go tell the sun * Go tell the rain * Something inbetween *
    * Is happening these days *

• Just havin my first one after havin a merina coil fitted :eek:
    Babe there is nothing wrong with you for feelin the way you do :hug: If it makes you feel any better, I've hated my period since they first started when i was 13. I've never bled easy.. Its always been painful, vomit and diorhea inducing, messy undignified and quite frankly absolutely sod fooking all to "love" or "embrace". Am hoping the coil will help with the Menorrhagia i have suffered pretty much all my bleeding life. I'd rather have a day or two a month of PMT than what i used to get on the depo injection which was anything up to a month of full on PMT before my injection was due.. that was completely shit... i try and look at the PMT days as the days of the month where i need to go take more deep breaths and try not to react to stuff.. n try not to beat myself up too much if i do fly off the handle cos i usually got a bloody good reason for it.. its just the other days of the month i *could* give a shit :shrug: big loves ya not on ya own babe xxxxx

• sorry to hear they're crap for you too :hug:
    but it is good to know i am not some mad woman for thinking like this
    xxx

• I know one thing... so many GP's used to write me off when i went in about my monthlies.. n they used to say.. ahh well pregnancy often sorts things out for you.... oh REALLY! lol... erm nah...
    I think there are an awful lot of us onhere hun who can totally sympathise with how you feel about it all. And lots of us bleed in a way that makes being clean and fluffy about it all really difficult... hard to embrace the beauty of the bleed when its pumping out of you at a rate of knots and flooding the most absorbant sanitary products in a few seconds eh.

• I have relatively lovely periods compared to a lot of people on here and i still hate them so you are definitely not alone! Seriously, what is there to love about them??

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Mine are bloody awful. Have been for years and ruin my life. Nothing works - ibuprofen, paracetamol..but some things have alleviated it a bit - vitamin B in the run up and cutting down on salt seems to help.Cocodamol is proving more effective for pain relief, and clary sage rubbed on my tummy helps too.

But I still end up curled up in bed with a hot water bottle, lying on a towel in case I 'leak', missing outings and gigs because I'm retching and doubled over :(

And then some well-meaning femmy moon-hugger tells me it's all in my mind... :pmt:

:curse: FUCKOFF FUCKOFF FUCKOFF... :curse:

• I have relatively lovely periods compared to a lot of people on here and i still hate them so you are definitely not alone! Seriously, what is there to love about them??

The only good thing about periods for many women is that it means they are not pregnant - not an issue if you're lesbian

• I hate them. I always feel dirty smelly and nasty :( If i could take a pill to stop them i would. Its worse still when im on the jab and cant even have a baby makes the nasty monthlys pointless aswell :(

• Mine left to their own devices are very painful, very heavy, and I get premenstrual stuff like feeling down and moody (I mean, even more moody than usual :whistle:).
    Went back on the (combined) Pill this year after a break of 5 years, and have decided to stick with it because it really has made a difference.
    Not ideal at all, but I can't face going back to all that at this juncture.

• I love mine... :p but sympathies to those who have a shit time with theirs

Just out of curiosity, can I ask what it is you love about them? I know some people say they love them but I have never been able to work out why. I assume it's not the physical sensations of agonising cramps, sitting in a slime bog and slight irrational behaviour now and again. :whistle:

What is it that you actually like?

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

The post was edited 1 time, last by stardust ().

• Well ms pirate... I love the energy.
    Dark mother stuff, I feel more powerful and centred and in touch with crone stuff.
    And yes I know that sounds dolphin-sniffy but its true.
    It also means I am still fertile which is nice to know and I recycle the blood ( by throwing it at my chav neighbours, I mean in my plants :) )
    I used to have a few issues with it all and then I was given a great book called the wise wound and it sorted my head. Along with starflower oil...
    I get the odd pmt migraine but the bleeding part for me is a good cleansing and powerful time...

• I really love my period. I love that it reminds me I am fertile, and that makes me feel powerful and beautiful, and also there's just the general "wow, aren't our bodies amazing?" stuff as well. And I like that it's a common experience with women everywhere, and I really love it when my cycle synchronises with women I am close to.

I guess really, I like being a woman, and periods represent a lot of that for me. I do get some pain and whatnot, but also some really interesting stuff... like a huge creative surge every month and very sensitive hearing, smell etc.

Unfortunately, since having Izzy I have developed Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder which is really fucking scary :eek: So I'm sort of spending three weeks every month dreading that week or so before my period starts. But the symptoms lift when the bleeding begins, so I still do really love that part. And I'm glad of that at least, because I would have really missed my monthly earthy goddess time if I no longer enjoyed experiencing it, and I really value my close relationship with my body and all its cycles and patterns and happenings.

So no, there's nothing wrong with you if you don't enjoy yours, but lots of women do. And we all experience them differently. I guess I think it's a shame if you feel disgusting, and I wonder why that is, but it doesn't make you wrong or mean you 'should' feel differently about them.

• Unfortunately, since having Izzy I have developed Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder which is really fucking scary :eek: So I'm sort of spending three weeks every month dreading that week or so before my period starts. But the symptoms lift when the bleeding begins, so I still do really love that part. And I'm glad of that at least, because I would have really missed my monthly earthy goddess time if I no longer enjoyed experiencing it, and I really value my close relationship with my body and all its cycles and patterns and happenings.

So no, there's nothing wrong with you if you don't enjoy yours, but lots of women do. And we all experience them differently. I guess I think it's a shame if you feel disgusting, and I wonder why that is, but it doesn't make you wrong or mean you 'should' feel differently about them.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder sounds nasty, your a very strong woman coping with that.

to answer your question, i feel disgusting because of the bleeding, it makes me feel unclean because i often bleed through all my sanatry products. i tried a mooncup for a while but i just bleed too much. i spend most of my period doubled up in pain & only lots & lots of painkillers begin to calm the pain (& that means shoving more chemicals into my body). & i just think mestrual blood is the most most disgusting coloured, smelling thing there is, i feel physically sick just thinking about it (& this is comming from the girl who loves horror & gore!).

• it is possible to be on when you are pregnant though (although im sure its pretty rare) so i cant see anything good about them!

• I don't find it disgusting, but the pain and sickness wears me right out. I don't want to go on the pill or have a coil to stop it, but the rare months that I get where I'm not completely incapacitated for a day and a half make me very grateful...

• Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder sounds nasty, your a very strong woman coping with that.

I don't really have a choice, strong or not :D

i just think mestrual blood is the most most disgusting coloured, smelling thing there is, i feel physically sick just thinking about it (& this is comming from the girl who loves horror & gore!).

I see. I really don't feel like that, which I'm glad about. I think it's very beautiful actually, and very useful for the plants! One of my favourite things about using a mooncup is that I can mix the blood with water and water the plants with it - they like that.

I don't generally have heavy periods, I've only experienced that for a few months when I had the contraceptive coil in, and I found I had to use normal cotton tampons, with a sanitary pad in my knickers to catch any overflow. I hadn't discovered mooncups back then so I'm not sure how they compare. I actually can't bear the stickiness and unbreatheability of using sanitary pads, and there's something about my build which makes it very uncomfortable to wear most kinds of knickers anyway, so having something relatively inflexible stuck there as well is not fun at all.

• I dislike them, well the lead up to them (like PTM), I've had days where I've wanted to just walk into the road and get run over. It's terrifying. It took ages to realise it was hormones. Periods have been excruciating for me for my whole life, I'm hoping my operation last month will have fixed most of that but my implant is screwing me around so I don't really know for sure.
    Saying that, I don't think I'd like it if they just stopped! I like knowing my body is going through it's natural cycle.

• i dont mind mine i dont get too much pain tbh i wouldnt say i loved them but i dont hate them either

• I have to say I'm inclined to agree with PTM, which is surprising given my track record.
    I was diagnosed with endometriosis when i was 13. It was absolute hell. By the time i was 14 they had tried everything they could think of and resorted to putting me on the contraceptive pill for 6 months at a time without a break. Even this didn't help and there were times when i bled for ludicrous amounts of time, once for 4 solid months. Other times i never had a period at all even when i was supposed to be having artificially induced ones. The pill didn't actually help the pain at all but it made them slightly more regular, though i still didn't know if or when to expect it. I came off the pill at 18 and never had a period for over a year, had one that lasted 2 weeks and then got pregnant.

Had Nuada and period came back when he almost 2. Every month. No crippling pain, still uncomfortable though. But i really like having it now. I like how in tune with myself i feel cos i never had that before. I enjoy how creative and organic i feel and that i am able to be more in touch with my female strength. I always used washable pads but since switching to a mooncup, i feel even more in tune with it.

• My Mum had Endo and I was experiencing similar symptoms. The docs decided to give me an implant because they said it would reduce symptoms. Now I have amenorrhea and still have mood swings/irritability ect but no bleed. I feel awful, I have the complete opposite of fertility happiness. I just feel like a dried up old hag who'll never be fertile and beautiful :( I have realised how much I loved my periods, now they're gone :(

• I have realised how much I loved my periods, now they're gone :(

Mine come n go depending on my weight ,i think.
    When theres no bleed i feel all pent up n grrrrrrrrrrrrrr , like i NEED somone to turn the tap on n give me the release i feel when i do bleed.

however after several yrs of gyny treatment because i was bleeding nai on half of every month,
    was put on the list for a hystorectomy,
    after trying ponstan,several pills,depo n all that lot,

dont know how or why or if it was the shock of trying to reach acceptance of the big H n no more baba's aged 26 or what,
    but my periods returned to somewhere near normal,so i never had the op (thank god)
    9 yrs later along came celyn :wub:
    my li'l brucie bonus :D

so now i love my bleeds,
    welcome them and am thankful for them :)