Where to live in London?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Heya everyone
    I am considering going over to london as a last minute acceptance of a postgrad course, and i was just wondering if anyone has any accomodation suggestions they could throw my way. I am really clueless about it, and i havent left myself alot of time to look.
    The university campus is not too far from grey's inns, or university college london, and is just a short track from camden, so i initially thought that would be a cool place to stay. But at the cheapest studio flats going for 800 quid a month, seems a bit expensive for a lone (or should i say LOAN) student. I dont want to be paying off the bank forever, and the course will already be costing me 12 grand for the year if i accept it.

Also its possible that i could get a bit lonely in some big city that i dont know, living by myself. So a squat or shared house seems a cool idea, even though there would be definate things to look out for. I think as a result id like to at least have my own room, with a lockable door, wherever i end up.

Those are just the ideas off the top of my head, but if ANYONE has any serious suggestions or advice, it would be really appreciated. Alternative and different ideas would also be welcomed; thats why i posted on this site first :).

Anyway it would be really great if someone was able to put something out there for consideration.

Cheers again lads!

• hey mate. :) london can be a wicked place to live if you like the city life, very busy, always something going on. :) if you prefer a bit of peace at the end of the day, its worth commuting in from somewhere less central, cos rents are awful in the city, but you got to balance the cheaper rents with the cost of travelling, and work out which is best for you. in havering you can rent a studio apartment for about 450 a month. the downside of living out on the fringes is that your social life can suffer cos you arnt living in the same area as your new mates from your course, but it depends a lot on what kind of course you are doing and if you will be working at the same time etc.

you could also consider renting a narrowboat, if you can find one, i know of some people who have done this in the past, and one who used to go away for winter and lease their boat out then, but i have not got their contact details any more.

some uni's offer postgrads help with accomodation as well as undergrads, might be worth ringing them or thier student union or something like that. :)

Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

• well i think the property that best sums up my search in london so far would have to be this
    http://www.findaproperty.com/d…00&salerent=1&pid=3101156 and only a mere £200 quid aswell, what a lovely studio!

@ enigma
    thanks alot for your imput.
    The narrow boat idea seems wicked. I guess it is just a pity that you no longer have any of those people's contact details.
    I have seen a few online before writing this post though, and they all seem to be out in uxbridge or harefield? which on google maps looks hours away from holborn?

I would prefer being in london, because like you said the costs are a bit high for transportation in and out everyday, but i guess maybe i should look at options a bit further out just as a back.

• found a few places on here, one may suit you:)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk

i searched for 10 miles around holborn and it came up with a few places, lots of garages on there too, but you can change the search parameters for a better idea:)

Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

• Well admittedly I fled the big city 25-years ago but where I grew up on the edge London, Harrow (Middlesex), was the hearth and home of the dwindling hippie movement with a fast (Metropolitan Line) underground link into the City. The best of both, pretty leafy with decent pubs and good connections. Is student friendly too with the University of Westminster just down the road.

Take care about a floating home. London rules are quite harsh about length of stay at a mooring and if you're not used to chugging off every few weeks it can be a right pain. Well, according to my watery mates.

Have fun.

• you could also consider renting a narrowboat, if you can find one, i know of some people who have done this in the past, and one who used to go away for winter and lease their boat out then, but i have not got their contact details any more.

Vouch for that - better outside of central London if you burn wood (as in you need to go wooding and there aint many woods in London)
    Thames is good.
    For houses try primelocation.com.
    Happy hunting - moving house is PANTS :(

• You can find good places, try mostly south east, or just east, if you search you can find not expensive place to live, and calm location :) but you need to search :)