Fast food Outlets ????

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Vegetarian or Vegan in Fast Food Outlets who caterers for you the best and if so what do you like to eat off the Junk food menu...also what's the worst item you have ever had
    when out...

• There's such a thing as veggie fast food? :S Who'd'a thunk it. I live in the in the county where veggie/vegan choices are either jacket potato and beans or....errr....jacket potato and beans :rolleyes:

Although one of the restaurants in town does a nice salad :p

• I can only really make a plea on the side of small shops selling falafel kebabs, and one of a few shops which has six genuinely nice vegetarian pizzas on it.

• I quite often visit subway. They have a few things that seem to be veggie friendly, I particularly like the veggie patty that they do. But do make sure that you tell them that you are vegetarian at the start. Quite often at that point they will change gloves and if it is one of the bigger outlets will move you on to the salad part and take your cheese from there. Also be wary of what the staff are doing if you order a ft long, most staff are well trained and would use the knife that is kept separate especially for vegetarians (Usually under the counter), but if they do take the knife that is on top of the counter and is used for normal subs, just tell them straight away that you are a vegetarian and to use the knife under the counter.

• I went veggie about 15 years ago and have barely had a takeaway /fast food meal since. Choices are pretty limited, but it's probably not such a bad thing!

We have a local Indian-run takeaway who also offer pizza, and both have veggie options, though not sure they are classed as true fast food. I even found chippy chips no longer an option as I moved from the North West to Yorkshire as a teen, and Yorkshire folk cook their chips in beef dripping!

• I quite often visit subway. They have a few things that seem to be veggie friendly, I particularly like the veggie patty that they do. But do make sure that you tell them that you are vegetarian at the start. Quite often at that point they will change gloves and if it is one of the bigger outlets will move you on to the salad part and take your cheese from there. Also be wary of what the staff are doing if you order a ft long, most staff are well trained and would use the knife that is kept separate especially for vegetarians (Usually under the counter), but if they do take the knife that is on top of the counter and is used for normal subs, just tell them straight away that you are a vegetarian and to use the knife under the counter.

also i believe there cheese topped breads may not be veggie friendly.
    (this is only hear say and I would be happy to be told otherwise - yummy cheese.)
    I've always found them good at glove changes etc. too.

• I always venture to leons on the strand and cannon st and various other locations in london they do a phat falafel wrap and i substitute the garlic mayo for there chilli jam to make it vegan and ask for a little pot of chilli jam as well to dip it in they always say yes of course and they have a loyalty card to get free food/drinks.
    Other than that its just chips its chips its more bloody chips as all vegitarin food in other places like burgers etc have milk in which i am allergic to.

• Having just discovered (on the One Show) that Subway sell non-stunned halal meat I don't think I can ever justify going in there, regardless of wether what I ordered was veggie.

Shame, Subway veggie delight was one of my guilty pleasures.

• I found a Balloon in the garden the other day with a voucher attached for a place called Otarian which turns out to be a Veggie\Vegan fast food place in London. Very odd but am in that London at the weekend so will check it out. Lookin on the website it seem pretty Kosher so we shall see. Watch this space................

• If you're ever in Bath, schwartz burger on Walcot Street sells the best veggie take away I have ever tasted. They do veggie bacon as well and all different types of fake meat burgers.

Their bacon and cheese burger with garlic mayo is totally lush and they put a proper salad on it too!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• When i'm stuck in any town centre holland and barrett come to the rescue with there porkless pie,sausage roll and pastys all of which are vegan and £1.05 each

• If you're ever in Bath, schwartz burger on Walcot Street sells the best veggie take away I have ever tasted. They do veggie bacon as well and all different types of fake meat burgers.

Their bacon and cheese burger with garlic mayo is totally lush and they put a proper salad on it too!

Schwartz are amazing nom nom nom

also in Bath there is The Porter which is a brilliant veggie and vegan pub

• Loving Hut is a good Vegan takeaway , they do a notdog

I just found the one of these in camden between camden and mornington crecent ... mmmmmmmmmmm....
    Forget the notdog s,steak,fish n chips all vegan and go for the vegan buffet. Man was that good and £3 for a tray full up with a choice of 2 rice,2 noodles,coconut curry mild,sweet n sour veg ,and stir fry all with 3 types of soya protein. and crispy spiced vegmince and spring rolls n veggie prawn crackers plus achoice of salad items.
    Man i am stuffed. All the staff were vegans,helpful and knowledgable and gave me a dvd about ethic food .
    i will be going back again and again.

love and peace to all beings!
    hairy krishna n aum be with you!

The post was edited 1 time, last by little d ().

• Having just discovered (on the One Show) that Subway sell non-stunned halal meat I don't think I can ever justify going in there, regardless of wether what I ordered was veggie.

Shame, Subway veggie delight was one of my guilty pleasures.

Its likely that *any* non-vegetarian specific takeaway will sell such meat though. There's no obligation to label it e.g. any Indian restaurant is more than likely going to serve halal.

• The One Show did say that Subway were going to change that. It's just the non-stunned bit which makes it so much more cruel as a lot of the halal meat these days has been stunned before slaughter.
    I know what you're saying though. It's just ignorance is bliss and once you've found something out it's difficult to ignore. Subway was the only fast food I ever ate (even though I shouldn't have wheat). I didn't realise till seeing the programme that so much meat sold everywhere was halal, not just in indian restaurants etc. Anyway, that's another topic!

• Red Veg in London/Brighton is a good veggie fast food outlet.

What consistently pisses me off is that cinemas can't seem to manage a veggie hot dog...

Ikea have managed .. and it quite cheap ..
    (if you find yourself at Ikea that is !)

x

• I just found the one of these in camden between camden and mornington crecent ... mmmmmmmmmmm....
    Forget the notdog s,steak,fish n chips all vegan and go for the vegan buffet. Man was that good and £3 for a tray full up with a choice of 2 rice,2 noodles,coconut curry mild,sweet n sour veg ,and stir fry all with 3 types of soya protein. and crispy spiced vegmince and spring rolls n veggie prawn crackers plus achoice of salad items.
    Man i am stuffed. All the staff were vegans,helpful and knowledgable and gave me a dvd about ethic food .
    i will be going back again and again.

I went for the first time last night as I had a gig just down the road at Koko and wanted something quick first. I had the golden burger and fries and it was yum! :)

• I had a beanburger and chips in MacDonalds a couple of years ago, and found out too late the beanburger wasn't vegetarian. Chips were nice, though...

• this place does vegan donuts http://www.voodoodoughnut.com/ but its in Portland Oregon

I'll just waste some valuable air miles on that one then....perhaps get it shipped in all the way from portland to sunny london in a nicely big packaged box with bubble wrap and foil and polystyerene to protect it from the warm air etc....