Water tanks..

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Never had much experience with one.. I've only used small ones in the past, and they were easy to clean out often.

Now I've got an underslung 150 litre plastic water tank on my van, which up until recently had a broken pump. Fixed the plumbing and used some of that aquapure or whatever powder, to clean it out. Emptied it again, rinsed it and filled it up again.

So, is it now "clean"? I mean, it looks clean.. But how can you really tell?

Also, do I need to use any chlorine stuff or additives to keep the water safe? I have not tried drinking it yet, I only use it to wash.

When you buy a new pump, hose, tap, tank or whatever component in a water system, is there any process to clean it out before first use? Or do you just put it in, pump some water through, and stop thinking about it?

I'm used to doing house plumbing, where you just let the water run for a while and you're set. But that's not standing water, in a 31 year old tank... So what do you van dwellers do with your water system to clean it?

Do you use "purifiers" after that?

Most importantly, do you drink it?

• Our van is 34 years old. When we first got it we used a weak solution of Milton, let it stand overnight, pumped it out and refilled a couple of times. If we were using the van all the time and filling it every day then we drank the water and came to no harm. Have to say though it always tasted a bit funny. When you fill the tank you're supposed to use a 'food quality grade' hose - we didn't we just used an ordinary one and I think that's where the funny taste came from. If we're only using the van for odd trips then we used to carry water.

When we bought our second van for fulltiming (thsi one was 26 years old) we fitted a water purification system. It was expensive - about £60 from memory but it's the best thing we've ever done in the van. No funny taste to the water and we've sometimes been forced to use water that you might not generally use (in Morocco for expample) and it cleans it perfectly. The filters are expensive too - about £45 - but they last a year and are still far cheaper than buying bottled water over the same period.

There are loads of water purification products you can use and they're cheap (and probably better than using Milton) :-)

Good luck

• When you buy a new pump, hose, tap, tank or whatever component in a water system, is there any process to clean it out before first use? Or do you just put it in, pump some water through, and stop thinking about it?

Sorry missed this bit - we've had a couple of new pumps and have done just that. It you think about it -most people's cold supplies sit in their attics for years with all kinds of guff floating around in them and don't give them a second thought.

• i don't fully trust my tank so only drink boiled water from it. if i am drinking juice or water on it's own i use a little water butt. but i figure for cooking and boiling it's fine. you can drink water from puddles as long as it's boiled!

i run milton through mine every once in a blue moon then full and empty it a few times. but it's a long process and mostly i can't be arsed. so far the only time i have ever been made really ill from water was when i was in a building and i got a cryptosporidium bug from the pipes at work. so i don't worry about buses too much. i'm sure my tank gets cleaned a lot more than the systems in buildings do!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Hi i dont mean to hijack this thread but i have 2 ibc that i use for animal water they have gone green in side. could i put some thing in that wont harm the animals but clean there water. we dont have enough water to wash them out.

• what's an ibc?

i don't know what one is so i don't know if this will help, but if it it not attached to the ground or too hevy, put a handful of gravel in and agitate thoroughly.

i find the lighter coloured water butts let the water turn green more quickly due to the sunlight i assume, so a handful of gravel, shaken a lot, tends to knock all the green shit off.

if an ibc is attached to the ground then that will be of no use at all, but i'm sure someone will find it useful!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• We have a 500 litre water tank in one of our boots. And a pump to a tap. We bought it from CAK tanks in Kenilworth, they have loads of good stuff for conversions. It tasted 'new' for a while, and when we were abroad we bought drinking water as we were filling from Garages and where-ever we could find a tap!
    Now it is filled from a home supply, we use a water filter for drinking water and Tea(cos Norfolk water is really hard and tends to taste of chlorine). Cooking, obviously the water is boiled.
    We probably should give it a clean, but it tastes fine!!

• IBC = Industrial Bulk Container I think they hold about 1000 litres, basically a plastic cube with a placcy tap near the bottom.

• Ahhh, I know what you mean, I just didn't know what it was called!