Is mankind doomed!!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well, it's 1:00am Saturday morning, and i was wondering if mankind is likely to survive much longer in comparison to the earth....Like you do...:)
    As a species we generally seem to be draining the earth of it's resources. As the population increases, the demand for 'stuff' is increasing. We're tearing up trees, and mining fossil fuels and covering the planet in concrete. If I was the earth i'd be getting pretty upset about it. We're creating technology to combat these problems, but to create this technology requires raw materials..which comes from the earth. Mankind are evolving with this technology which can only lead one way, and thats to our destruction. Surely we need to be evolving with nature instead, it's the only true way of a sustainable future.

Any thorghts???? :)

• Well, it's 1:00am Saturday morning, and i was wondering if mankind is likely to survive much longer in comparison to the earth....Like you do...:)
    As a species we generally seem to be draining the earth of it's resources. As the population increases, the demand for 'stuff' is increasing. We're tearing up trees, and mining fossil fuels and covering the planet in concrete. If I was the earth i'd be getting pretty upset about it. We're creating technology to combat these problems, but to create this technology requires raw materials..which comes from the earth. Mankind are evolving with this technology which can only lead one way, and thats to our destruction. Surely we need to be evolving with nature instead, it's the only true way of a sustainable future.

Any thorghts???? :)

Oh you have got the misanthropist me.

I say DIE or Cooperate......

We will die out if we can not grasp the cooperation and symbioticness with nature..... And to be honest I would be glad to see a world rid of humans, it would be a much better one, for sure.....

I think we can live together and live out a full and precious life with earth, but that is not the direction we are taking.

• of course what you're saying is true. however, the majority of the population get sucked into the bullshit the western world is fed leaving a small number of people that actually realise what's going on and an even smaller amount of people that actually do something about it. yet have you noticed this humongous green/eco movement that's occured recently? organic foods becoming more popular, more green festivals, more websites like this particular one! i do think more and more people are slowly waking up to reality.
    check out this 20 minute documentary which covers exactly what you described in more depth - www.storyofstuff.com

also, in my opinion it's all down to pure greediness. if you consider that climate change is caused by the over-consumption of fossil fuels by the rich, often extracted at the expense of the poor; that the first people to feel the effects of climate change are the poor because only the rich can pay for expensive adaptation measures; that the process which is designed to prevent climate change is dominated by the rich, who come up with solutions that displace the poor but make money for the rich; then you stop seeing climate change as a problem of atmosphere and gases and start seeing it as a problem of class war.

• Any thorghts???? :)

Yes, put the spliff out and go to bed ;)

also, in my opinion it's all down to pure greediness. if you consider that climate change is caused by the over-consumption of fossil fuels by the rich, often extracted at the expense of the poor; that the first people to feel the effects of climate change are the poor because only the rich can pay for expensive adaptation measures; that the process which is designed to prevent climate change is dominated by the rich, who come up with solutions that displace the poor but make money for the rich; then you stop seeing climate change as a problem of atmosphere and gases and start seeing it as a problem of class war.

Generally speaking, the more egalitarian a society is, the more aware of status it is (because when you are taught that all are equal, and that anyone can do/be anything they set their mind to, you become far more aware of even the slightest inequalities....which leads to some truly awful policing of social status in order to "maintain equality" :eek:). Which is a big part of where the modern "greed" comes from....as to a large extent it is scrabbling for status (or at least to not be "low status") in a world of destabilised status structures.

If you want to cut down on the greed in the western world, the thing that needs addressing is the meritcratic society and its ideas that "all men are created equal" and that anyone can rise to the top. Declaring that situation is essentially firing the starting gun for the rat race. :S

You cant fight the greed by promoting egalitarianism....as it simply heightens the awareness of status combined with both destabilising what you have whilst enshrining the centrality of the individual :insane:

If you want to address greed, the thing that needs changing is our attitude to status. Not by, as I said, railing against status, as egalitarianism only promotes the scrap, but by making it far less "achievable" by droping meritocracy.

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Coyote ().

• Yes, put the spliff out and go to bed ;)

Thats dodgy advice.....Although you were probably right..;)

I'm glad it's not just me with this view, Iv'e spent most my life chasing money, and it's only really in the last 6 months that iv'e become aware of how brilliant nature is. Man has had a symbiotic relationship with nature for thousands of years, and now we think we're too clever for it.
    I don't think this is the reality that i have signed up for.
    Iv'e heard a few theories about 2012 being a time to create your own reality...I hope so, i'll have a lovely one. :D

• I think about this all of the time (no spliffs involved!). It's crazy how many people "seem" to be completely unaware of these issues, consciously or unconsciously. We live in such a false environment in my opinion. I work at Natural England and there are some huge cuts going on there in the next couple of years (36 offices down to 20). To me, the natural environment should take priority over everything else. Without it, we are allowing the future extinction of the human race, along with lots of other species. But it seems that people are more concerned with the "now" (the short term).... how our lives can be improved, rather than how we can improve the lives of future generations and protect some pretty amazing species (like ourselves). I think we should be putting more into protecting and improving the natural environment instead of taking out of it.

• Personally, i think that saying the human race is doomed is a bit shortsighted. We as a race are so imaginative, creative and intelligent that we could overcome almost any obstacle in our path regardless of its origin. The fact that we've made it to here and now despite being - compared to most animals - puny and weak, says alot about us.
    If you could go back a million years and take a bet on which of the lifeforms around would most likely survive to become the apex of the food chain, would you pick us?
    Like most people, i've no wish to see the destruction of so many beautiful lifeforms we share this planet with, but consider the fact that 99.9% of all lifeforms on Earth have become extinct and how many there still are, should tell you that life will carry on regardless.
    As to whether we will remain in our current incarnation or evolve to meet new demands, good question. And if we evolve then are we still homo sapiens? So, maybe we are all doomed but not in the way you might think.

• Yep mankind is doomed.

Agreed.

Mankind is doomed. Humankind, though, I have high hopes for.

What's the difference? Mankind, Humankind, same thing. Although technically If you're thinking in terms of gender then mankind is more appropriate as historically the word "man" is non-gender specific and the word "mankind" falls within that context whereas the word "human" has it's roots in the Latin for earth (humus) which is feminine.

• Of course mankind is doomed, strictly speaking everything is doomed. But i don't think the doom will come for a very long time ;)

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change we seek."

Barack Hussein Obama, 44th President of the United States.

• Of course mankind is doomed, strictly speaking everything is doomed. But i don't think the doom will come for a very long time ;)

I'm not so sure, the Earth seems to be spitting it's dummy out a fair old whack recently. Earthquakes and volcanos, climate change..Which leads to melting ice caps. Iv'e no doubt that life will continue in one way or another.
    But I think that with our intelligence, we've overlooked some essential points. We've forgotten that we need to take care of our little intergalactic vessel. Instead we abuse it so we can sit with the heating on full whack and watch eastenders.

Terance Mckenna wrote “The apocalypse is not something which is coming. The apocalypse has arrived in major portions of the planet and it's only because we live within a bubble of incredible privilege and social insulation that we still have the luxury of anticipating the apocalypse. If you go to Bosnia or Somalia or Peru or much of the third-world then it appears that the apocalypse has already arrived.”

and

“We are so much the victims of abstraction that with the Earth in flames we can barely rouse ourselves to wander across the room and look at the thermostat.”

I can't see the earth holding out much longer then 20 years if we carry on as we are. The majority are lazy and ignorant...bless em, they know not what they do...

• Mankind is doomed. Humankind, though, I have high hopes for.

God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs. Dinosaurs eat man … woman inherits the earth. ;)

• God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs. Dinosaurs eat man … woman inherits the earth. ;)

:rofl:
    My gender's been messing stuff up for long enough, it's probably about time you guys had a go!

• I suspect/hope that mankind is not doomed.

Industrial capitalistic society, however, is most assuredly doomed, built, as it is, upon a model of expansion and greed that is unsustainable.

• Post by sal paradise ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • :ditto:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Personally, i think that saying the human race is doomed is a bit shortsighted. We as a race are so imaginative, creative and intelligent that we could overcome almost any obstacle in our path regardless of its origin.

Six & a half billion years, that's all you've got before the Sun goes nova and Planet Earth fries off into stardust (although not Stardust herself as it were). Six & a half billion years then that's it.

Although, being a self-aware species, we'll probably find some finely exotic imaginative & creative way to wipe ourselves out way before then. Species come & go. So will we. Being so imaginative, creative and intelligent will probably be our downfall.

Oh look! I wonder what this big shiny red button does? Ka-boooom! :waves:

• Human kind achieved much, but .... there are just too much of different thinking people, goverment, banks, politics made world system + paper called money which putted everyone to slavery, lies lies lies on TV, there are just minimum realistic life, and a lot of scam everywhere. Sometimes everyone can let it go, but we do have eyes , we see rubbish flying around, go to a work just to pay the bills and things , but maybe its just for me .... but sometimes i feel such a slave that ... i wish to be in some remote island, work over there hard ... but naturally with a normal reason ... and completely good for enviroment. Feel free and safe.

• I suspect/hope that mankind is not doomed.

Industrial capitalistic society, however, is most assuredly doomed, built, as it is, upon a model of expansion and greed that is unsustainable.

Sorry but this type of argument really does get to me.....we are living in a world where the population is constantly increasing as the human life span increases. More population means more food need to be produced and, as we don't have the land or even the ability for everyone to produce their own, it's going to be down to capitalist investment to buy the where withal to produce more food.
    We're communicating by computer...if you want to keep doing that it's going to be because some capitalist wants to invest his money to make more computers.
    You're quoting a model of expansion...so do we contract ...and how...kill off half the worlds population or what?
    You've probably gathered by now I'm a supporter of capitalism because I can't honestly see a way to live our lives as we do without it.

• Throughout this thread there seems to be the general consensus despite the argument that we are not in control. Or out of it. Like we are spiralling towards some inevitable fate. Human is the closest thing to God I have encountered. This is the final frontier lets explore space and leave this dying planet behind.

• I think the world is a magnificent place, and so are all of us ... the (immediate) contrast we experience is what makes humanity evolve/expand.

As a species we're not doomed, we're doing just fine ... It may not seem that way, but I believe there will always be enough to go around, and we'll adapt as we go - but in order to see that, we need to look at the bigger picture. :)

• We are not doomed. We have some significant problems to overcome but these are nothing compared to what we faced in the past. For most of our history the majority of the people on this planet were just one failed harvest away from starvation.

We obviously have to confront the current main threat to our existance- the rapidly increasing population which is putting the enviroment at risk.
    But i think these problems are easily overcome compared to some of the problems of the past. We could easily generate all our power from renewable sources within a very short time. Eating less meat could quickly solve problems with a lack of agricultural land. We are just to lazy and selfish to spend the money now. But atitudes can change quickly.
    The rapid population growth is a problem. Can we bring about some kind of population stability without becoming an authoritarian society with a 1 or 2 child policy enforced like in China?
    There is a risk that the population could colapse in the future as agricultural land fails (climate change, deforestation and top soil depletion) and the population growth outpaces agricultural improvements. But this would not mean that mankind is doomed. Population boom and bust happens in nature all the time.

We also need to put some nuclear missiles or big lazer guns in space quick so we can defend ourselves from asteroids and alien invasion. :tinfoil:

• Capitalism is thinly-constrained social chaos, which, unless we put an end to will put an end to us; not simply because it chases resources in an unsustainable manner, but because (and possibly even primarily because) it is an anti-social way of organising society. It and overpopulatin are probably the greatest "doom" we face at the moment...

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."