I has ferrets!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Eeeee! :D :D :D

Always ALWAYS wanted ferrets, but never had a garden to put em in before (actually they're just as good as indoor pets, but they smell a bit (fine on their own, but as i've already got dogs, chinchillas and rats indoors, twould be stinkiness overkill I think), plus if they're outside I can make em a much larger cage :) ), but now I have a garden, and new neighbour was looking for homes for two baby hobs (boys) so I HAS FERRETS!

They are so loooooooooooooong! And friendly and cuddly and clumsy, I loves them already :wub: Mine is called Slinky Malinky ( :D ) and Tet's is called Trotsky :)

Not got any photos of em yet, but here's a video of Slinky Malinky playing with a shoelace (whining yelping noise is Dyl dog who was feeling left out, not the ferret). He's so much fun! :wub:

[youtube]axhbiVp9A40[/youtube]

I've been tripping from sipping the dripping dirty water tap,
    i've been thinking i'm drinking too many drinks all by myself.
    I've been poking a voodoo doll that you do not know I made, for you, of you.

• Awwwwwwwwwwww so cute!!
    In this weather they'll love water. Mine used to climb inside the watering can when I was trying to fill up their little pool!

• They've already been paddling in the water bowl (hoping to switch to a bottle but they've never used one before, so got both in their cage at the mo til they get the hang of it). Their new cage (they're in a smaller one indoors just til their run is finished on monday) will have a hammock in, and lots of tubes for them to play in. They had great fun playing in a roll of carpet today, they're so fun :D

Still can't believe how loooooooooooooong they are when they stretch out! :eek: :D

• Here we go, pics - they sleep for about 18 hours a day so tis a good time to take pics (especially as they don't wake up even when I stick the camera right in their faces!) Don't be fooled by their innocent expressions though, they're little live wires! :wub: :reddevil:

:)

• Your ferrets are lush, they're great fun aren't they?!

Used to have a couple when I was a teenager, I called them Todd and Andre :o

• Nice polecat crosses you've got there. Make sure that you handle them daily, otherwise they may get nippy. At that age you could lead train them (use a harness, not a collar). If you ever need a vet for them, Barry MacDonald over in Cheltenham is a bit of a ferret expert.

• Nice polecat crosses you've got there. Make sure that you handle them daily, otherwise they may get nippy. At that age you could lead train them (use a harness, not a collar). If you ever need a vet for them, Barry MacDonald over in Cheltenham is a bit of a ferret expert.

Ahh, well spotted! Apparently the mum was a ferret and dad was a polecat, though I understand there's not much difference between the two. If I say polecat though, people just look confused, but if I say ferret they nod, so am sticking with ferret, makes things simple :p

Thanks for the advice. They're already a bit nippy when they get carried away playing, don't know how much they were handled before we got em, but they're just babies so plenty of time to remedy that I hope. They haven't broken the skin or anything, just nipping. We plan to get harnesses for them :D I believe my local vet is knowledgable with ferretty stuffs, but will certainly bear Barry MacDonald in mind, thanks :)

They're currently in the hallway (awesome space for exercising small critters cos it's big, tiled floor, secure and with absolutely nothing to chew, no cables or dangerous bits) playing with a carpet tube and a cardboard box :) I loves them so much :wub:

• They're easily trained not to bite. If they bite, however soft or hard it may be, a short sharp 'NO' and put them down (don't keep on playing). Mine learnt super quick.

• What's the fur like? I'm wondering if I'd be allergic to ferrets, I'm allergic to cats and rabbits...

• dont they need to be neutered or they die of horniness????

Jill ferrets (females) do indeed need to be brought out of season or they can die. This can be done either by a jab from the vets, use of a vasectomised hob (male) ferret or, probably the best and easiest way is to get them spayed. Hob ferrets however do not need to mate, probably best to get them castrated though as it will stop any fighting when they themselves come into season.

Also,(just so you know) it is extremely unlikely they are Polecat/Ferret crosses, these crosses are very rare, don't tame very well and the offspring generally dont live for very long. It is common for people to call a polecat coloured ferret a polecat, but a polecat coloured ferret is still a ferret. There are many many variations to a ferrets colour but all are still ferrets.

Ferrets will always be a bit nippy when theyre young. The best thing to do is handle them for at least an hour a day so they get used to you. Please, despite what people tell you, do not flick them on the nose when they bite, this is quite common and quite un-necessary. If they continue to bite, spit on the back of your hand and let them lick it off. It sounds horrible i know but the ferrets love it and it gets them used to you. I take my ferrets rabbiting and even if my hands have rabbit blood on them from gutting the rabbits the ferrets will just lick it off with no nipping at all.

If you ever have any questions about them i will be more than happy to help, even if i dont know the answer im sure to know someone that does.

• Left the camera running today while the ferrets had some playtime outta their cage. Shame the memory ran out halfway through one of their wrestling matches, but still - gives me a pretty good idea what they get upto when we're not watching! :D

Ferret cam :)
    [youtube]pH4KoMqiXhk[/youtube]

And two pics of them being adorable. Anything that sleeps cuddled up like this can't be anything but cute! :)

I can't imagine not having them around now. Nothing is better than our ferrets, they are the cuddliest and biteyest and playfullest beasts ever and I love them so much! :wub:

• They are gawjess! Is Tet practicing keeping them down his trousers?:eek: :D

Yes, actually :eek: Rather him than me, they're not bitey (well, only play bitey) but they have bloody sharp teefs, not a risk i'd wanna take!

• Ferrets are now safely installed in their new hutch and run, in the garden. They are thrilled with all the extra space, and having a whale of a time :) I miss them already, house is so quiet without them :( Can't wait til tonight when they come in for playtime! *mad ferret lady alert*

• What's the fur like? I'm wondering if I'd be allergic to ferrets, I'm allergic to cats and rabbits...

Mine feel similar to a cat to stroke, but apparently ferrets are hypoallergenic, so good for allergy sufferers. That said, I know someone who is allergic to them, and different people react differently don't they, so I guess the only way to tell is to spend time with one. If you're ever in Gloucester you're welcome to meet them, they're cuddly :)