refilling propane bottles

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Has anyone refilled their own bottles? Having run a few motors on lpg and converted one with a home mad kit years ago when it was only 26p/ltr :eek: i have been looking at getting a valve to allow me to fill my own bottle now im living in trundle :)
    valve costs £24 and my 13kg bottle is £24 exchange but i could fill it with auto gas for £15 from empty therfore return my outlay in 3 refills and allowing me to top up cylinder before going away so i would never run out. Your veiws are welcome :D

• Has anyone refilled their own bottles? Having run a few motors on lpg and converted one with a home mad kit years ago when it was only 26p/ltr :eek: i have been looking at getting a valve to allow me to fill my own bottle now im living in trundle :)
    valve costs £24 and my 13kg bottle is £24 exchange but i could fill it with auto gas for £15 from empty therfore return my outlay in 3 refills and allowing me to top up cylinder before going away so i would never run out. Your veiws are welcome :D

Not done it but I believe its possible, and worthwhile.

• Will that mean no more leaky gas smells ?

the topping up before a rd trip has gotta be a gd thing i recon :)

• nope no more smells lol got new reg :D and i recon being able to chuck £10 or so in before a rd trip makes it worth while

Wikked :)
    better than having to carry a spare bottle,just incase like i do.

Im liking this idea .

• Filling propane from an auto gas station is easy, you need an adapter they are not too expensive, but do get one with a safty relief valve as then the bottle cannot be overfilled. it works well but not sure how legal it is so we do it pretenting our auto gas filler is in the back of the vehicle.:)

• My mate does it. He delivered gas as part of his job. It is against the law from what he told me. Its something to do with the owners of the gas bottles and the safety of the bottles should they go back into the system. He went on a training course to learn how to refill /pressure test etc. I think the prison sentence is a high one if prosecuted. He had a demonstration video of a bottle that was damaged and refilled to over pressure. The blast took out a whole street on the video. He changed his job shortly after the course, as by law he must stay with his vehicle in the event of a accident or fire, Incase it had to be moved. I cant see a problem doing it a few times, but would want a tested bottle from time to time.

• when running lpg on cars the tanks only fill to 80% ie 100ltr tank fits 80 ltrs of auto gas, i will weigh bottle before filling to work out how much space there is in there then calculate that to ltrs and then put less in than it would fit. want to stay safe :)

• addapter arrived today :) so i borrowed somne bathroom scales and got out the calculator :eek: swapped wieght of empty bottle into kg ( why the fuck do calor use lb's) then weighed bottle and worked out there is 10kg of gas missin :p so have room for 20ltrs of lpg, so tomorrow im gonna go and put 18ltrs in just to be extra safe and end up with a full bottle for £11.16p ;)

• addapter arrived today :) so i borrowed somne bathroom scales and got out the calculator :eek: swapped wieght of empty bottle into kg ( why the fuck do calor use lb's) then weighed bottle and worked out there is 10kg of gas missin :p so have room for 20ltrs of lpg, so tomorrow im gonna go and put 18ltrs in just to be extra safe and end up with a full bottle for £11.16p ;)

80% is the safety margin. Are you filling the bottle while the bottle is standing upright or laying on its side? Not that it should make a difference other than which way the bottle travels if it goes horribly wrong :D

• hi,
    I am staying in my caravan a lot and with winter approaching, I am thinking of buying an adapter so I can refill my clor bottles with lpg -
    a few questions remain though:
    1.) what happened to the guy who posted in June he would let us know how it went - never heard of again? - should I take that as an omen to keep away from the costsaving exercise? :angel:
    2.) can the gas pipes in my caravan remain or does lpg require different ones?
    3.) as I said, I amusing a caravan, not a motorhome and I may need a refill more frequently than I move the van - so I have put the empty bottle in front of the passenger seat and moved the seat as far forward as it would go. the bottle is now nice and straight. and fairly secure but I can still pull the bottle if I try - so not quite as tight as if strapped in. Is that going to work - I just don't know how the filling station nozzle is going to perform once screwed onto the adapter -
    thanks in advance for news from those in the know and happy hippying to all, ;)

• autogas is a mix of propane and butane so will be fine with your pipes, filling a bottle is a no no so make sure they dont see you ie have bottle in the boot ;) work out how much gas is missing from full and then put less in just to be safe :) well worth it im on cheap gas now as i have recouped the cost of the adapter so im ££££ in :D

• can you answer my point about keeping the bottle in fron of the passenger seat - is it safe and will it work? (Never mind for now the q whether anybody sees it and chases me off). Boot is not possible for me, and anyway, opening the boot at the station might look a bit strange anyway. At the gasrefill web site I have seen a pic today, somebody refilling a bottle with the nozzle sitting vertically on top of the bottle - now with calor and adapter they will sit horicontally - will that work?
    Many thanks for your help

P.S. I believe you were the one who poste on June 9 "I try this and let you know tomorrow - but never did - so I was wondering whether ehm you had come off the idea, apparently not
    regards,

• well im still here :D i attach the adapter that is horizontal then attach that to the pump before opening the valve, and it works fine, not sure without seeing the bottle infront of the car but use common sense, if its secure then i cant see a prob, is that how you transport a refil if you do an exchange of bottles?

• ok - thanks
    I have studied the lpg pistole today at a station and the diagram how to apply it, it looks like it is fastened to the adapter by turning 120 degrees. So that should make the transfer of gas safe unless one overfills, right. Driving today with the empty bottle, I noticed that it moved about quite a bitin fron of the seat - I found in one forum quite clear advice to fasten the bottle and I am wondering how I could do that.
    Cheers,

• [quote='hotrodjay','http://ukhippy.com/freakpower/forum/index.php?thread/&postID=1010953#post1010953']autogas is a mix of propane and butane ...

- does that mean there may be problems with perofrmance during winter months - because I remember butane is not supposed to work below 0 degrees?

thanks