what's your view on illegal raves?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Its just been another weekend of DIY rave [strikethrough]Party/Gathering[/strikethrough] in Pembrookshire.
    The Police lost control, but contained it. Although they are allowing the public to leave. Will they take action against the organizers?

Ive been to loads of illegal raves in some of the best woodland settings and in unoccupied/derelict factories, even under railway bridges.
    My experiences are varied. If allowed to run their course, the site is usually left as found. If its leave early morning before the raid, its a different story.
    Can these raves ever get licensed without all the usual red tape, health & safety, security, that are attached to small festivals these days?

What has been the best location for a illegal rave, that you have been to?

• Gosh they are wide and varied, all outdoors tho.
    there was a few near a local pebble beach, that has a nuclear reactor very close by, they are always good parties/ raves. tho ones in the woods are always my fav :)

• Best place is Cambrian mounains in wales, such a magical place and great place to get away with parties.............. been to many around there....

I could be at a party right now in a forest if only i could get a lift :curse:

ggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• My view is that provided it's not in an environmentally sensitive area, or where it would disturb wildlife, farm animals or the locals, then (although I'm not into them myself) I don't see a problem. Thing is, there are always going to be people who either don't care or are unaware of the damage that can be done to sensitive ecosystems; Castlemorton Common springs to mind. I recently did some investigation into the Malvern Hills AONB and found some info [wish I could find the link now] regarding an illegal gathering there in the 90s which caused a lot of damage to the area. Not only that but some of the commoners' sheep went missing too! So, irresponsibly done...NO, responsibly done...OK.

• contained hahahah they have no choice but to except the fact this is pembs we dont have a ploiice force big enough to stop it...shame the organisers didnt invite the locals tho we're all pritty pissed at that...they dont wanna do it in thier back garden but they'll do in it ours...

• i dont see the problem of people dancing in the fresh air..how is that harming anyone? i`d rather do that than go into a town on a sat night.......leary slimy smelly alchos..yukkkkkk

The bestest outdoor party i went to was a techno party at the bottom of Man Tor in derbyshire.....

• i cant believe that dancing under the stars as a large group (which we have done since the beginning of time is now techincally illegal.
    i love raving and freepartying and the police will not stop me!!!!!

• Townies :rolleyes: They head off into the countryside then try to turn it back into a city...all bright lights, noise and intensity. :S Whats the point? :shrug:

And that's before we get to the quality of the "music" :p

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Townies :rolleyes: They head off into the countryside then try to turn it back into a city...all bright lights, noise and intensity. :S Whats the point? :shrug:

sounds like you went to the wrong party Coyote:)

i`ll take pics of the one me and my partner have organised...it will even have a tea stall..because, as a princess, i dont rough it...:)

(and i`m not a townie, born in a tiny village...2 streets and a pub..lol)

• My view is that provided it's not in an environmentally sensitive area, or where it would disturb wildlife, farm animals or the locals, then (although I'm not into them myself) I don't see a problem. Thing is, there are always going to be people who either don't care or are unaware of the damage that can be done to sensitive ecosystems; Castlemorton Common springs to mind.

Pretty much how I feel about the subject, bearing in mind I've never knowingly been to a rave as a punter but have attended loads of free festivals which is not a whole lot different apart from noise levels. Possibly. Debatable.
    That's kinda why the illegal Stonehenge Peoples' Free Festival worked for as long as it did - eleven years, tucked away in the middle of Sailsbury Plain, next door to the army live firing ranges (wheeee, Bang!), out of sight, out of mind and almost unreported by the press.
    I fully understand and agree with why folks want to wander off and go into a state of total chemically induced freak out with loud music. Tribal bonding an' all that. But how that chimes with health & safety I don't know. It only takes one person to OD, get fried by a moist connection of electrickery or otherwise get injured by (toppling) equipment provided by people without Public Liability Insurance and the rozzers'll be all over the scene like a bad rash.
    It is most vexing.
    Hey, have fun and be cool out there. Mind 'ow you go. And don't trash the crops and do litter pick the site afters. :waves:

PS: I once did stand-up between the acts while the back line was being changed at a rave - that's when I found out not to do political comedy to people who were steamed off their faces. Oops! Never again.

• i have to agree with you...the gathering thats gone on this weekend took place on our coastal path in the middle on our national park...:(where wild horses an orther wild life live...i'm all for dancing under the stars...gatherings etc but it will be intresting to see if they clean up after themselves like they promised

Townies :rolleyes: They head off into the countryside then try to turn it back into a city...all bright lights, noise and intensity. :S Whats the point? :shrug:

Country folk like a party just as much as the townies. My gran said when they were young up on Skye they used to go out to a place called Fairy Bridge. The boys would bring up their pipes, accordions or whatever, build a bonfire and party into the night. I'd be up for that or a rave. Both are different but fun however both can get you pulled up by the police nowadays.

• I have been to a lot of raves in old buildings, mostly empty building or one's which were borrowed for the night. Went to a couple which were in massive bingo halls in north london in the late nineties. I would imagine Rank Bingo, who owned the building would have been pretty pissed of. I stayed right to the end and i did not see anyone cleaning up after themselves. I don't have much sympaty for then because they are a big company and can close 1 hall for a few days for a clean up.
    Mostly parties i went to were city parties in derelict buildings. I don't have much problem with this as most of the buildings were in a shit state before the party.
    I am a bit dubious about having outdoor raves in woodland/beach areas. I don't think people clean up after themselves much. They may at best pick up cans and bottles, but who has ever seen anyone picking up fag butts and smaller rubbish? These are worse if there are big crowds coming out of the city. I have seen trees which have been tagged at raves in woodland.
    The problem is partly the fact that they are illegal. legal parties are getting surpressed by the cops- Waveform last year, Big green gatherin, Glade this year. The cops have to accept some blame. If you will not allow people to party legal they will do it illegal. They will go to the most isolated place where they will not be found. This is often the place where the wildlife is least prepared for the disturbance. Because it is illegal it is organised quickly and inadequately. The organisers have to get away quick after the party- to stop their sound system getting stolen by cops- they pay some attention to the site, but not enough.
    More legal parties please dave.

• Gosh they are wide and varied, all outdoors tho.
    there was a few near a local pebble beach, that has a nuclear reactor very close by, they are always good parties/ raves. tho ones in the woods are always my fav :)

steart Beach I suppose?

I always found the smaller the better, with just us lot, then we clear up after ourselves :)

• steart Beach I suppose?

I always found the smaller the better, with just us lot, then we clear up after ourselves :)

yep it was :D and i know exactly what you mean, it did get a bit out of hand there. There was a great one at Bryants Puddle... i think it was.... the sound system was in the bottom of a bomb crater (big hole thingy) surrounded by beautiful woodlands, the organizers were really good and, ''on top'' as peeps vehicles were in the woods (obviously) and they didn't take any shite and looked after all the vehicles.
    lol there was a rope/ tyre swing half way up the hole, in the morning ( a lush morning and sunrise) someone was swinging on it, and... ping the rope snapped and the tyre, person swinging on it fell and landed ontop of sum poor person sunbathing.... everyone was ok, and i didn't laugh much :whistle:

• I myself was heavily involved in the outdoor rave scene here in N.Wales from '92 to '01 and witnessed sadly the increased police presence hell bent on stopping these gatherings , the authorities have a massive problem with loud repetitive beats and bleeps and alternative looking peeps gathering in the forests , commonland and beaches , what is it they fear ? !!!:) I still get to 4 or 5 a year just to catch up with some old heads but my hardcore days are well and trully over ! lols :eek:

• What has been the best location for a illegal rave, that you have been to?

Gotta be the Talybont (between Aberystwyth and Machynlleth) parties of the mid-90's....absolute middle of nowhere...2000+people....mountains....lakes....sunshine...all weekend.

Best place is Cambrian mounains in wales, such a magical place and great place to get away with parties.............. been to many around there....

I live on the edge of the Cambrians...was a regular at many great parties in the area (and round Aber/Mach and Newcastle Emlyn/Crymych vicinities) until around 2005-ish.

In my experience of parties in these parts there was always a pretty thorough clean up before leaving site. Just last month there was a concerted effort (primarily from local teens/20's I might add) made in really deep-cleaning a much loved and well used local party site.

• they still do the freepartys and raves at talybont :whistle:

but as for this one.
    ;) its shit. why do people go, to take ket and end up in a Khole, drinking cheap cider whilst monged out, or puking your guts up... surrounded by people of the same.
    it very much isnt 'dancing under the stars'
    i saw the state of my brother today after comingback from UKteck, or whatever it was called :o
    i just dont get it myself.
    tales of people injecting into their eyes, shitting themselfs, pissing meth crystals. it all sounds throughly not worth anyone with half an ounce of anything's, time :angel:

with regards to THIS freeparty. :rolleyes:
    i dont doubt there are *some* good un's.

• i agree this aint my idea of a ''good'' free party/ rave.

• i cant believe that dancing under the stars as a large group (which we have done since the beginning of time is now techincally illegal.
    i love raving and freepartying and the police will not stop me!!!!!

Hey there freedom lovers, get this right.
    It is only illegal to hold any type of gathering under certain peoples interpretation of certain statute [STRIKETHROUGH]laws [/STRIKETHROUGH] rules of society.
    These rules only have the force of law with the consent of the governed and you can only be prosecuted under them if you contract with the police officer who attempts to contract with you.
    There is nothing under the common law of this land to prevent any gathering unless it is treasonous to the crown. Do you home work right and you can prosecute the first police officer who touches you, without your consent, for assault. If he touches any of your equipment then it is attempted robbery, if he takes it then that's robbery and if it gets damaged then it's criminal damage.
    Under common law you can do as you like as far as gathering and having a party goes. If everyone attending carried a law paper declaring that they were there as an individual acting under their right to freedom of choice and not a part of any "group" then that would stop them in their tracks. Put the police on their oath as Police men to protect every individuals common law rights, refuse to contract over statutes and sue relentlessly for any breach in common law rights and they would not have a leg to stand on for interfering with you.
    A second law document making it plain that you will charge £400 an hour to be interviewed by the police and £2500 an hour for any unlawful restraint which breaches your rights and they will be in a right mess if they start wasting the time of free individuals.
    However this does require most (all) the attendees to understand how to deal with the police and avoid contracting with them over statutes. It also requires resolve to prosecute them if they do attempt to breach anyone's rights and it requires total passive behaviour because if they can insight anyone to violence then they can get them for breaching the common law and you wont have a leg to stand on.

OK.
    Does this approach work?
    Yes and there are plenty of examples out there which they do anything they can to keep out of the mainstream media.

I'm convinced enough to be thinking about organising a festival which is run on no other licence than the free will of the individuals attending. I say festival because I love festivals. I don't like rave but I will give it it's due and provide a space for a rave tent.

ditto..it pisses me off greatly...and I wish they'd clean up the bloody mess :rolleyes:

• tales of people injecting into their eyes, shitting themselfs, pissing meth crystals. it all sounds throughly not worth anyone with half an ounce of anything's, time :angel:

Someone's been reading the newspapers for their opinions. I've been surrounded by people using drugs since...well, since I was born. My parents were quite into drugs, as were their friends, and as a result I've grown up with a lot of friends from similar families, and yet I've never heard any off those kinds of horror stories from anyone I would consider a reliable source. I don't count the media as a reliable source, because it's just lie after lie after lie, and the only people I've ever known make a comment like that are people who've formed their opinions from under the media's quilt of ignorance.
    Drugs may be a big part of illegal raves, but they're an equally big part of legal raves, and clubs, and everything. I work in a small club that plays shitty pop music and we have loads of people taking drugs, throwing up everywhere and starting fights. It's what happens when large amounts of people come together. Nothing to do with the legality of where they're gathering.

I'm all for illegal raves, although like others have said, you have to be considerate of the environment and locals when choosing your place. I don't think they will ever be legal, though. Not until we disable the hierarchy of government, and break from the repressive grip of the police force.

• Someone's been reading the newspapers for their opinions. I've been surrounded by people using drugs since...well, since I was born. My parents were quite into drugs, as were their friends, and as a result I've grown up with a lot of friends from similar families, and yet I've never heard any off those kinds of horror stories from anyone I would consider a reliable source. I don't count the media as a reliable source, because it's just lie after lie after lie, and the only people I've ever known make a comment like that are people who've formed their opinions from under the media's quilt of ignorance.
    Drugs may be a big part of illegal raves, but they're an equally big part of legal raves, and clubs, and everything. I work in a small club that plays shitty pop music and we have loads of people taking drugs, throwing up everywhere and starting fights. It's what happens when large amounts of people come together. Nothing to do with the legality of where they're gathering.

I'm all for illegal raves, although like others have said, you have to be considerate of the environment and locals when choosing your place. I don't think they will ever be legal, though. Not until we disable the hierarchy of government, and break from the repressive grip of the police force.

couldnt have said it better!! :thumbup:

• ooh, you posted a 'once in a blue moon ' article

sorry,but by and large the above article DOESN'T happen..I get sick to the back teeth of townie alternative types who spout on about being eco warriors,hippy and ' in touch with the 'laaaaaannnnnnd maaaaan' messing it up for the rest of us..:rolleyes:

it's up there with 'alleged' nature loving pagans tying shoddy bits of ribbon/plastic to oak trees and leaving fecking candles on standing stones:curse:

pass me the shotgun mellors:reddevil:

• ooh, you posted a 'once in a blue moon ' article

sorry,but by and large the above article DOESN'T happen...

Well it didn't happen there either because apparantly everyone had to leave in a desperate rush after the police arrived so it's my lot (the lovely local authority ;)) doing the clean up.

Yep, clever move, choose the Dale penisular slap bang in the middle of the National Park, it's a bugger of a road as well for a ton of people to get down. And t'be fair, although I'm not a fan of a lot of farmers there is a lot of livestock (sheep and cattle) around that area, as well as mountain ponies that the National Trust uses for heathland management around the coast. Disturbance much? Oh, and it's bird breeding season as well, including ground nesters in that area like skylarks and yellowhammer (and those two species in particular have suffered a massive decline) - I bet with that level of disturbance there'll be a few abandoned nestlings and eggs, maybe even a few trampled ground nests. Well done - why not screw up the next generation shall we, after all, what good are birds? :rolleyes:

Some people don't think.

• I've got mixed views on this and always have had. I'm not really into it to be honest; I prefer the countryside as it is. Most people don't clean up their shit, pure and simple. And not everyone finds very loud noise entertaining (unless it's proper music :rock: and even then, most people like sleep). But on the other hand, it's people getting together and having fun and I'm extremely suspicious of the motives behind stopping anyone from doing that.