Plans for third runway scrapped

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Yes, but I'm worried about the new high speed rail link. They are planning to build a whole new line from London to Birmingham, right through the countryside, in order to knock half an hour off the journey time. Half an hour? Oh ffs...

• Yes, but I'm worried about the new high speed rail link. They are planning to build a whole new line from London to Birmingham, right through the countryside, in order to knock half an hour off the journey time. Half an hour? Oh ffs...

Shit. If they'd only improve public transport in other, more effective ways. No need to tear up any more chunks of countryside. :(

• Shit. If they'd only improve public transport in other, more effective ways. No need to tear up any more chunks of countryside. :(

Especially when the owners of the Chiltern Line are already upgrading to take HSTs from Birmingham to London and paying for it themselves

They were talking about that on Countryfile the other week. It's rediculous.
    There better be some Newbury style protesting going on for that. We should plan our gatherings along the planned line and stay there!

• i'd be up for that. i feel so sorry for the people living along the proposed line who stand to lose so much.

(i watched that countryfile too!)

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• They may have scrapped the runway but in alot of the rural area's the tories were campaigning on a local level to put bypasses round their chocolate box villages ffs.. people have short memories :(

• i'd be up for that. i feel so sorry for the people living along the proposed line who stand to lose so much.

(i watched that countryfile too!)

It would run right through Cropredy among others, then within about a mile of my workshop, before destroying several villages around coventry, and that's just up at our end! And for what? When did anyone ever get in their car because it takes an hour and forty minutes by train to Brum? It's madness! There bloody well better be some demos. And as SD says, the existing line can be upgraded. The old great western line could even be put back into service if it was really necessary, the problem is that neither of those alternatives are big, sexy, or expensive enough...This is that bloody Adonis at work again, thank fuck he's gone. :curse: