anyone tried prozac?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• if so how did u feel on it?, did it work? was it easy to come off of it when u were ready to?
    ive been prescribed it for pmt but i am very unsure about taking it, just wondered what other people have experienced

• I've never heard it prescribed for PMT . . . is your GP male? Have you tried B vitamins for it?

But aside from that, I was prescribed it twice. After a bereavement it did the trick for a few weeks, but the other occasion I found it very hard to get along with. It put me further away from the realities of life and I didn't like it. Other people do though.

• I was on Prozac for a few years in my early 20s because of my bulemia and depression, I don't remember any major side effects but I don't remember it doing a huge amount for me either (relatively low dosage of 25mg). But then, I wasn't one for asking for help anyway so just kept getting a repeat prescription instead of asking the doc for something different.

Found it easy enough to come off as well. Prior to my current anti-Ds I'd been on both Prozac and Effexor XL (between ages of 20 and 25) and in both instances I just stopped taking them, which you're not supposed to do but I didn't notice any problems.

On seroxat atm which is supposedly harder to come off but we'll see.

• I took it for a very short time when I lost my first baby - it was only intended as a means to cope at the time, sort of a lift to get me to a place where I felt able to cope and make decisions again. That's what I used it for... I can't remember how long I took it (that whole time period is very jumbled up in my head) but it must have been only about three months or even less... it took about a month for it to work, and then I took it for a little while before weaning myself off when I felt like I could cope again. I remember being surprised by how difficult it was to stop taking it even after only a short time. They made me feel a bit numb... which is what I needed for a short while, I think, but I feel that would have been damaging for me long-term.

A quick look at Wiki says it's prescribed for "premenstrual dysphoric disorder", so very severe PMS.

EDIT: it also gave me the shakes when I stopped taking it, and that went away after about a week? Something like that.

• I've never heard it prescribed for PMT . . . is your GP male? Have you tried B vitamins for it?

But aside from that, I was prescribed it twice. After a bereavement it did the trick for a few weeks, but the other occasion I found it very hard to get along with. It put me further away from the realities of life and I didn't like it. Other people do though.

ive been taking B vitamins for years now & evening primrose it isnt doing enough for me so i headed back to docs again & it was a female doc this time who suggested it to me & apparently its prescribed for pmt as well as for other problems, i was surprised myself, so just pondering on it all at the moment

• I was on prozac for a little while during my uni days. There were no major side effects except that i really didn't care about anything, which wasn't great when you were trying to write a 30,000 word thesis!

There are some good books for CBT, i have one myself.....will look up the name for you

• I took it for a very short time when I lost my first baby - it was only intended as a means to cope at the time, sort of a lift to get me to a place where I felt able to cope and make decisions again. That's what I used it for... I can't remember how long I took it (that whole time period is very jumbled up in my head) but it must have been only about three months or even less... it took about a month for it to work, and then I took it for a little while before weaning myself off when I felt like I could cope again. I remember being surprised by how difficult it was to stop taking it even after only a short time. They made me feel a bit numb... which is what I needed for a short while, I think, but I feel that would have been damaging for me long-term.

A quick look at Wiki says it's prescribed for "premenstrual dysphoric disorder", so very severe PMS.

im sorry to here about your baby
    yes its the not being able to stop taking it that concerns me & the numbness bit but then again theres this hell every month & yes its PMDD alright [unfortunately]

• I was on prozac for a little while during my uni days. There were no major side effects except that i really didn't care about anything, which wasn't great when you were trying to write a 30,000 word thesis!

There are some good books for CBT, i have one myself.....will look up the name for you

thank you

• I've was on it for a few months, then stopped for a few months (without telling my doctor), then went back on it again which I have now been taking for a few months. I find it does help, I'm on 60mg a day though.

I haven't really noticed any side effects, but I know that some people do get them, so if you take it watch out for those.

When I was off it, at the start I didn't notice much change, but after awhile I did start to get quite depressed, but I think that might be because I just stopped taking it, which you're not supposed to do when you go off it.

Hope you get better :hug:

• my dad was on it a few years ago and ive got to admit that while he was on it (from an observers point of view) he seemed very distant and didnt really want to be involved in anything and even now years later prozac seems to have left lastinf effects in that his fuse seems to be alot shorter and he looses his temper alot more whereas before he had a very long fuse and even when he lost his temper he soon got over it but not anymore it has become very explosive..... i also do remember him having quite a difficult time coming off it.

it is impossible to be unhappy whilst wearing my baby in a tattoo style mei tai!!!

• i was on it for a bit... very numb, lost sense of self so came off. would rather have the pain than the sense of nothingness.

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• it is different for everyone i think, as with any drug you have to balance the risks of side effects against the condition its treating. i found it made me a bit numb, i spent money like it was water cos it made me feel like, oh, everything is fine, it doenst matter....when in fact it did matter, and i ended up in financial trouble and i weaned myself off it after 3 years using 5-HTP. this in itself had a big effect on me but its a gentle alternative, it provides your brain with the building blocks of seratonin, rather than flooding it with the ready made stuff.

if you are aware of the possible side effects and watch out for them , a short course may help hunny, but i'd try 5-htp for at least a couple of months first. i found prozac made me apathetic, especially towards the causes of my problems, i just let them be and medicated myself, cos it was easier. once i came off them i really got down to sorting out what was causing my depression, anger and mood swings. lots of love hunny, i really hope you are feeling better soon.xxxxx

Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

• I took it for 9 months or so and was on 30mg if i remember aright, cant say i noticed any effect on my mood, good or bad! when it came to stopping it was by accident - i just forgot one day and never took anymore. the only nasty with it i found was the buzzy head and worse was the restless legs, which i got on starting for about 2 weeks and finnishing for about 1 week. It certainly wasn't the magic bullet i had hoped for.
    You'll never know how you react till you try, sorry i cant be more help:waves:

• I was on Prozac a few years ago, but like most anti-D's that I took I found the awful side effects(dry mouth, blurred vision, spacey, foggy head and twitchy legs) far worse than putting up with the depression they were trying to treat. They didn't actually lift my depression, cos at the time it was caused by prolonged anxiety, which was made worse by the medication. I had CBT, took up yoga/meditation and things seemed to level out after a while...I couldn't take them again, but then that's just my experience; I'm sure other people may have more positive feelings about taking it.

• On it for 7 or 8 years, 25mg I think, although I occassionally had more.
    it may have helped with mild panick but unsure about depression.
    I dont believe it had any real effect good or bad, no side effects until I came off it, best done v slowly ,felt like I was on a boat for this period, most of the time I wasnt (on a boat). Also seemed to get agitated quite quickly after cessation.

• I've known several people take it (including my sister) and all of them found they had various side effects,ranging from insomnia to paranoia.I sometimes wonder if it's a bit like valium"I'm in pain but I don't care":whistle:

You've either had the glimpse of life from the rim of the gold fish bowl or you're still stuck in the gravel.Some,however, are out playing with the cat.

• Certainly anti-depressants can make a difference and potentially help someone who is on the brink and can't be helped any other way, but I've always felt the downsides (a lot of them being major downsides) were enough to preclude their long-term use to treat people. I would be very concerned about their use to treat an issue which will continue to affect you for years and years to come. Doctors can be quite 'trigger-happy' when it comes to prescribing drugs for problems, not least in the psychopharmacology department, partly as they are constantly targeted and advertised to by pharmaceutical companies and partly because it's more expensive and time-consuming to treat someone psychologically rather than chemically. I would certainly suggest looking into any other alternatives first - local counselling services (Universities/colleges/religious groups sometimes offer this as well as the NHS) might be a start.

Hope that's helpful :)

• :hug:Sending you a big one mate, thought you were not yourself. I was on prozac for a long time a few years ago. First 2 weeks, horrible headache but this passed and I was already feeling better so it was worth it. Problems were a sense of nothing mattered , all in the world was rosie and great. I spent loads of money and did not care a jot. So watch out, you may do things you may not usually think are sensible. Also I began to have frighteningly vivid dreams, so much so that I sometimes could not work out if they had really happened. I came off them slowly so it was ok. I would only consider them again if I was stressed out of my mind and could not function at all. I take cetalopram now and find it leaves me feeling like a human.
    So hope you feel better soon, I will be thinking of you and sending you good vibes x

• I was prescribed prozac after a few bereavements - i was suffering some sort of depression but it was like i couldn't cope with the intensity of emotion.. prozac made me feel completely numb to the point where i actually started to question what the point was of existing at all.. n thats when i stopped taking them (was on them for about 2 or 3 weeks i think) ... felt i would rather feel everything even if it was very raw than not care or feel anything at all - i think with hindsight they probably did the exact job they were designed to do xxxx

• :hug:Sending you a big one mate, thought you were not yourself. I was on prozac for a long time a few years ago. First 2 weeks, horrible headache but this passed and I was already feeling better so it was worth it. Problems were a sense of nothing mattered , all in the world was rosie and great. I spent loads of money and did not care a jot. So watch out, you may do things you may not usually think are sensible. Also I began to have frighteningly vivid dreams, so much so that I sometimes could not work out if they had really happened. I came off them slowly so it was ok. I would only consider them again if I was stressed out of my mind and could not function at all. I take cetalopram now and find it leaves me feeling like a human.
    So hope you feel better soon, I will be thinking of you and sending you good vibes x

thanks mate x

• wow thanks all of u...erm interesting,& starting to lean towards 'maybe i wont take them'

This is one of those things where its not actually that helpful to hear other peoples experiences because how it'll affect you is something you'll only know by trying it.lots of medications are used to treat more than one thing and severe pmt is a hormonal/chemical imbalance/intolerance so it makes sense that anti-deps might help as theyre targeted at that sort of brain area.Its probably not a magic wand but it might give you enough relief from the symptoms to have the energy to deal with them in other longer term ways.If you dont like them you can stop taking them,at worst you'll have a few days of unpleasantness while your bodies readjusting because addiction proper takes time to build up and even then its *just* unpleasantness to quit most things.

Think about how youve reacted to other medication/substances in the past and how you react and cope with things in general,that'll give you a better idea of whether you should give prozac a go or not.Its not a *bad* drug just because its prescribed by gps,sometimes these drugs do help people and itd be daft to struggle on if theres something that could help.