Stone Henge Summer Solstice

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I've been invited along to Stone Henge for this year's Summer Solstice :hippy:

But ... I really don't know if i fancy it :rolleyes:

I've been told everyone should go at least once, but the prospect of lots of people (footage of previous years looks a bit scary to me) , what appears to be tight security (sounds oppressive, but maybe necessary???), on site toilets, rules like "no rucksacks" and what not puts me off

But I'd be getting a free lift and stuff so i should probably just see for myself??

So, I'm guessing a few of you will have made it and was wondering what your experiences were like?

Chegz xx

• Stone Henge festival has been messed up completely. This whole island is dotted with hundreds of secret stone circles of ancient origin. My advice to ANYONE - go on Google, find the nearest stone circle to your area, get a car full of people and go celebrate your heritage on the summer solstice where the police aren't going to be standing there staring you in the eye.

• i think everyone should do stonehenge once. that way all the other solstices will seem so much better, no matter where you are!

i have done many solstices at stonehenge and they have got progressively worse over the years, until the last one i did (2008) broke my heart, made me completely disillusioned with the whole of humanity and i swore blind i would never do it again.

it has become nothing more than an excuse to get muntered, throw litter from the burger vans everywhere, get herded around by cops in stab vests, etc. etc. you might as well be at reading festival. it's become so mainstream that i once saw a girl in high heels with a gucci hand bag.

i agree that everyone should go to stonehenge once, but summer solstice is ruined. i have heard winter solstice is amazing though, and is very high on my to do list. hopefully i'll be there this winter.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I did it last year for a friend, as it's her birthday.... because I couldn't talk her into coming to a smaller stone circle with me.... I hated every minute of it and won't be doing it there ever again. I went there recently for the Spring Equinox and it was lovely, as is Winter Solstice usually, but hated the Summer Solstice.

There were police (and people) everywhere.... it was noisy, there was litter everywhere, you couldn't even roll a cigarette without a policeman coming over to check what you were doing, there were police drones in the sky and loads of people that wanted to just get trashed. Nothing wrong in getting trashed, but if the Solstice doesn't actually mean something to you (like it does me) then p*ss off! I would follow Chaosphere's advice - grab some mates and do it somewhere else.

I'm sure plenty of people love the Solstice at Stonehenge, otherwise they wouldn't keep going, but for me it is a very special time and as well as it being a celebration there is also a serious time to reflect on the "turning of the wheel" as we move through the Pagan festivals.

Decisions decisions!

• I went to Avebury last year and it was great, Not as many people as Stonehenge and the atmosphere was very good, even the law seemed to have a good time. I saw no people related issues and apart from a dickhead rolling down the steep embankment and breaking various bits it was very pleasant...with the druid ceremony quite tranquil Oh and the local shop people were brilliant :)

• i love avebury for summer solstice. the cops there have always been great and it always seems far more laid back for such a big gathering of people.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• or you could just go, and then you'll know why not to go next year. or ever again!

• .... but, now i'm thinking i havn't had a positive reply yet, but it's only just gone spring solstice so i can make my mind up later

• I went last year, and I can say that the others are right, and Stonehenge is very
    kaliyuga these days...So I would suggest that you don't go as well, unless you like novelty prisons...

• Chegzy, I think you should just go to keep your mate company, get mashed and have a good party. :)

it's become so mainstream that i once saw a girl in high heels with a gucci hand bag.

Oh come on. For all you or I know she's one of the archeologists who knows the most about the place, a university professor on ancient history and might have more depth to her character the all of of the people reading this put together. Looking mainstream shouldn't be a reason to pass negative judgement on someone at a festival.

• Oh come on. For all you or I know she's one of the archeologists who knows the most about the place, a university professor on ancient history and might have more depth to her character the all of of the people reading this put together. Looking mainstream shouldn't be a reason to pass negative judgement on someone at a festival.

well she wasn't showing much interest in the archaeology. she was too fucking muntered to have noticed it anyway. if she'd been respecting it rather than chucking litter all over it i might not have noticed her so much.

i don't pass judgement on people just for looking mainstream. hers was just one of the many actions that contribute overall to what is now an incredibly negative experience.

• well she wasn't showing much interest in the archaeology. she was too fucking muntered to have noticed it anyway. if she'd been respecting it rather than chucking litter all over it i might not have noticed her so much.

i don't pass judgement on people just for looking mainstream. hers was just one of the many actions that contribute overall to what is now an incredibly negative experience.

Ah fair enough if she was chucking litter around and just there to get muntered. From what you said it sounded like you had a problem with her for having high heels on and a Gucci bag, which would be a poor reason to look down on someone. Still when you tell the whole story I see your point. :)

• yeah...i couldn't be arsed with the full story, but i got no issues with straight heads!

• Ah fair enough if she was chucking litter around and just there to get muntered. From what you said it sounded like you had a problem with her for having high heels on and a Gucci bag, which would be a poor reason to look down on someone. Still when you tell the whole story I see your point. :)

If the heels were really high it might very difficult to look down on them full stop...:whistle:

I will get my coat.......

• Totally agree with you on this. I've noticed it get progressivly worse since i've been going. and now ( as of last year ) i refuse to go to stonehenge.

the last time i went, over 2 years ago, i actually ended up leaving at 3am because the whole atmosphere was ruined by drunk louts and over policing.

deffinately thinking of attending avebury though.:D

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

• I love to visit a circle come mid winter - is there one in/around/near Lincolnshire that anyone might be going to (I rather go with someone who knows the in's and out's as its something I love to meddle in a bit further)

I have 2 days off work as caused a bit of a comment from the office staff ;)

I used to live down Stonehenge way and never been, but gone past a few times and you see it all on TV people packed into the place like cattle in a holding pen.

• Just passing through ... :waves:

Used to go when it was a rioght proper Peoples' Free Festival, didn't go in summer of '85 because we all pretty much knew it was going to be a punch-up (what turned into the Battle of the Beanfield), went for winter Solstice '85 which was very peaceful, didn't go back until summer Solstice '88 (as a TV news reporter) then didn't go at all until summer of 2004 and what a horror that was!

It was like a Disney theme park had taken over Stonehenge; over-organised by English Heritage and the police, a car park about a mile away, walking down an unlit field path, straight-going people trudging back to their cars before dawn moaning because 'nothing was happening' like they thought there was supposed to be some kind of midnight performance of flip knows what, missing the point, heavy-handed security taking rucksacks off people for gawd knows what reason, health & safety issues regards people fire juggling and being strong arm tactics arrested, surrounded by drunks and folks so drugged up it was embarrassing, middle-class wankers (an old hippie expression not much in common parlance these days) complaining about the noise of drummers going on all night "... its just dreadful allowing these types to make this racket all night ..." (yer actual overheard conversation), loads of arguements between nice old hippies trying to get the floodlights (flipping floodlights!) turned off so we could watch dawn come up and the cops who didn't know any better - why folks were there, in fact - and insisted the massive lights stayed on right in peoples' faces ... a freaking nightmare. Never again.

These days (summer Solstice) I have a few friends over for a small soiree in my back garden to watch the dawn come up. Or, like someone said elsewhere, find your nearest sacred site and go there.

Love & peas - :waves:

• This is why we are throwing an event here in Wales for summer solstice. And we don't even have a stone circle (yet).
    But we do know what celebrating solstice is all about and that's what we are going to do.
    I would not go anywhere near Stonehenge under the present circumstances, unless it was to accompany something like a group of human rights lawyers with plenty of clout internationally.

• This is why we are throwing an event here in Wales for summer solstice. And we don't even have a stone circle (yet).
    But we do know what celebrating solstice is all about and that's what we are going to do.
    I would not go anywhere near Stonehenge under the present circumstances, unless it was to accompany something like a group of human rights lawyers with plenty of clout internationally.

Spot on ol' bean. Pity Wales is too far for self to travel or I'd come there and celebrate with you. I'll be there in spirit from the leafy environs of Norwich.

Phil 'Wally' Russell had a fair few things to saw about the provenance of The Stones and as how the Department of Environment (or whatever is called now) are meant to be caretakers of the site but, in fact, its run by English Heritage as if they own it for their private use. Bah! Humbug!

We the Trolley Men (band) were planning to stop off at the Stones enroute to our Glastonbury (Assembly Rooms) gig in May, for a swift Ommm, but I'm not so sure now.