Convert RAW to Jpeg?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Does anyone know a site that will convert RAW files to Jpeg?? NOT photoshop as we don't have it.

Thank you.

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You know you're going to get it, but it's going to be rough."

• shoot in jpeg.......... i am not that sure shooting in RAW is that important to most......... someone will argue this as is norm on forums

We would but RAW holds much more information per image.

Thanks Grendel, will look into that

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You know you're going to get it, but it's going to be rough."

• Does anyone know a site that will convert RAW files to Jpeg?? NOT photoshop as we don't have it.

Thank you.

What make of camera? Can't speak for anything else, but Canons come with their own software (Digital Photo Professional).

shoot in jpeg.......... i am not that sure shooting in RAW is that important to most......... someone will argue this as is norm on forums

That would depend entirely on your needs. RAW is always preferable, assuming that you have the time to put into post-processing work and burst depth isn't an issue for you. If time is short, then you need to fall back to jpeg. Alternatively, if you have the storage space, you can shoot in RAW+jpeg. That way, you have the jpegs readily to hand, but you still have the RAW files should you find you need them.

Frankly, if you own a digital SLR and never shoot RAW, you're not taking full advantage of the extremely expensive tool that you've purchased. Assuming he's shooting on an SLR, of course. Many compacts will capture RAW now.

• what camera, there are different types of raw file, canon used to have a stand alone converter. but blowed if I can find it.

It's not available for download. You need to install it from the original disc. You can download the upgrades though, and there's a registry hack to kid the upgrade into believing DPP is already installed. Some argue DPP is currently superior to Photoshop for Canon RAW conversion. Personally, I'm too used to the Photoshop workflow to switch. However, it does raise another point...

http://www.irfanview.com/ this is one that I have that can convert from RAW to most formats

.... not all RAW editors achieve the same results.

• What make of camera? Can't speak for anything else, but Canons come with their own software (Digital Photo Professional).

That would depend entirely on your needs. RAW is always preferable, assuming that you have the time to put into post-processing work and burst depth isn't an issue for you. If time is short, then you need to fall back to jpeg. Alternatively, if you have the storage space, you can shoot in RAW+jpeg. That way, you have the jpegs readily to hand, but you still have the RAW files should you find you need them.

Frankly, if you own a digital SLR and never shoot RAW, you're not taking full advantage of the extremely expensive tool that you've purchased. Assuming he's shooting on an SLR, of course. Many compacts will capture RAW now.

ah yes I have DPP too, I too am used to the photoshop workflow, I always start with raw for astronomical photos.
    Grendel

• It was Blu's photoshoot today, her lecturer got her a Nikon D200 DSLR to do the shoot. All files came out in RAW as per her lecturer's request. We didn't have time at the end of the shoot to do a PS conversion, as college closed early.

Were going to use PS in college tomorrow for the conversion. I agree with Atomik, RAW is far better for studio shoots as it gives a far superior quality. The Nikon Blu was given for the shoot, only shot in RAW as she didn't know how to change the settings. The camera she normally uses was out today. We wondered how easy it was to convert them at home, as we don't currently have PS here.

• Lightroom is cheaper that photoshop and far better at processing RAW, and the controls are almost identical.

You can usually get generous student discounts from adobe if you send them a scanned copy of your student ID. Nothing worth having is free, but how much you pay will always depend on how clever you shop ...

I do believe that Google's Picasa has some limited RAW processing capabilities, but don't quote me on that.

• it is clear that raw files offer greater flexibility when it comes to image editing but whether or not they will make a difference to your images depends on your final intent. if you only ever take snap shots, or images for screen or website use, then shooting raw files is unnecessary. however, if you need to enlarge images or make extreme corrections, the highest quality will be achieved by using raw files............ most raw files after conversion end up as jpegs.......

• I've known several professionals who shoot on jpg just to save time and disk space ... For instance, if you have something like a wedding, and you get everything right "in camera", then you'll usually get away with jpg. If you're working on an art project then you'll get more from shooting RAW.

Horses for courses, as they say.

• if you only ever take snap shots, or images for screen or website use, then shooting raw files is unnecessary.

Snap shots yes, screen/website use, utter rubbish. :)

But then if you're only taking snapshots, you've wasted money if you own a dSLR.

however, if you need to enlarge images or make extreme corrections, the highest quality will be achieved by using raw files............ most raw files after conversion end up as jpegs.......

What they end up as is neither here nor there. It's the flexibility in post-processing that counts. Try recovering blown highlights from a jpeg.

• We finally got Photoshop and have sorted the images, well just about. Thanks for all your help and advice.