nearly there but......

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I'm managing to do without everything but occasionally I just need butter, well, not really need, but cant find anything that tastes similar in mashed potatoes or with peanut butter sandwiches! Ive tried several dairy free butter type substitutes which I hated, any ideas please?

I thought giving up cheese would be a nightmare but found that relatively easy, all I have left is to give up the butter to become a proper vegan

• Vitalite tastes nothing like butter. I have Pure sunflower spread, but that doesn't taste like butter either.

Only butter tastes like butter - I had it very rarely anyway and it's the one thing I miss. In a more hormonal moment recently my hormones over rode any concern for animal welfare :eek: However, the butter I ate had been in the fridge since early last year so pre-dated my non-dairy choice, limiting the guilt somewhat ;). Thinking about it, the best before date was sometime last August :eek: tasted fine to me though!! :p

• There's no substitute for butter, taste-wise. I don't bother with vegan margarine unless I need it for a cake or something, as no margarine tastes like butter to me. *tiny sob*

Just leave the butter out of the PB sandwich. I do, and hardly notice the lack.

As for mashed potatoes, I usually make onion gravy with my mash, but if you like, try sprinkling your spuds with nutritional yeast flakes for added 'cheesy' flavour. I can post a nooch sauce recipe for you if you like?

• I can't believe that people would actually consider eating peanut butter WITHOUT butter - its way too dry and sticky without!!

I have found that you can make yourself get used to the taste of certain things and actually quite like them. I don't eat butter at all now and have started to quite dislike the taste of it because I have got myself so used to Nuttelex. Not sure if you can get it in England though. The point is if you persevere with one of the nicer spreads then you can get used to it and actually grow to like it as much (if not more) than the butter.

The same thing happened with me and marmite and vegiemite. I've always loved marmite but its SO expensive over here so I had to convert to vegiemite and I really didn't like it, it just wasn't the same at all and it really got to me but I persevered with it and now I really love it.

Toast with butter substitute, vegiemite and peanut butter for brekky every day. mmmm!!

• thanks guys, looks like Ive got to battle on somehow......

I really was surprised the problems I'm having with butter as I thought cheese would be a huge battle and I managed that OK.

• I use Pure Soya (or just any of the Pure range) but then I never liked butter - just spread. So am I guessing it's the specific taste of butter, and not just spread in general, that you want?

No idea. But the spreads are probably a million times better for ya!

Peanut butter shouldn't be mixed with anything. Not butter, cheese, jam, marshmallow fluff... :eek: but then I mix Marmite with cheese, and I know what the consensus on that can be :D

• I use Pure Soya (or just any of the Pure range) but then I never liked butter - just spread. So am I guessing it's the specific taste of butter, and not just spread in general, that you want?

No idea. But the spreads are probably a million times better for ya!

Peanut butter shouldn't be mixed with anything. Not butter, cheese, jam, marshmallow fluff... :eek: but then I mix Marmite with cheese, and I know what the consensus on that can be :D

I am not vegan, but I use Pure rather than dairy spreads, prefer the taste.

and peanut butter should always be mixed with jam, my favourite :)