What was the last movie you watched?: Take 2

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Robin Hood with Taron Egerton and Jamie Foxx. The absolute pits. It had a very post apocalyptic dystopian feel to it, Weird costumes, piss poor dialogue and acting and absolutely no sense of either history or legend. I think they were trying to make it ''relevant''. It's an old legend. It stands on it's own two feet. Leave it the fuck alone. Tolkien...... Really dull. Avengers: Endgame.........Brilliant and I cried buckets.

• Bohemian Rhapsody. Very good but ultimately very sad film. Shame about the small inaccuracies because they weren't necessary and the film showed nothing of his legendary generosity to complete strangers. Well worth watching if you're a fan.

• It certainly presents a different background to the mythology from that shown in the Gotham television series. My DC Comics background is grounded in the 60s, so I never really saw The Joker as the impoverished, sleazy character explored in "Joker". Joaquin Phoenix is outstandingly creepy and original in the lead role. It was weird to see an arch-villain with no super-hero in sight. Although JP says the best scene was cut from the film I think a little more editing might have tightened the flow a little more, but sure, if you are into the DC world then give it a shot. I would be interested to know what you think. Maybe I should give it another look ... :shrug:

• Official Secrets, it's a true film about a young woman (Katharine Gun) who worked at GHCQ

where she received a memo relating to an upcoming war in Iraq,it goes on to tell her story about how she reacted to this memo.A good watch without giving anything away.

• Kes. I watched this film again last night with my 4 year old daughter. I tried to explain to her that this is what it was like for me growing up as a child in Barnsley, England and that I lived not far from the farm where the kestrel chick was taken from and most mornings my dad would take me in the pram and later years on foot, through those very woods. Using me as a decoy while he poached rabbits on route. The streets filmed where the same streets I had walked as a kid, with my older brother doing his paper round and the school which my brother attended. It brought back memories of my school days, especially the use of the headmasters cane as a deterrent and form of punishment. Working men’s clubs, bookies and coal mines.
    The landscape still looked familiar to me, but what was obvious is just how basic and uncomplicated our lives were back then. So much has changed in those 50years and our children now see a very different life, which may even look strange to their grandkids.

• I watched "Midsommar" a couple of nights ago.
    I like (good) horror movies and was looking forward to this after Ari Aster's previous movie, "Hereditary".
    Midsommar is worth a watch if you enjoy offbeat horror that's heavy on atmosphere but light on actual scares.

• It certainly presents a different background to the mythology from that shown in the Gotham television series. My DC Comics background is grounded in the 60s, so I never really saw The Joker as the impoverished, sleazy character explored in "Joker". Joaquin Phoenix is outstandingly creepy and original in the lead role. It was weird to see an arch-villain with no super-hero in sight. Although JP says the best scene was cut from the film I think a little more editing might have tightened the flow a little more, but sure, if you are into the DC world then give it a shot. I would be interested to know what you think. Maybe I should give it another look ... :shrug:

Am not big into comic book movies so i was pleasantly surprised as for me it was more a dark and moving film about mental health issues. Joaquin Pheonix was disturbingly good it all left me feeling a bit unsettled :shock:

• Kes. I watched this film again last night with my 4 year old daughter. I tried to explain to her that this is what it was like for me growing up as a child in Barnsley, England and that I lived not far from the farm where the kestrel chick was taken from and most mornings my dad would take me in the pram and later years on foot, through those very woods. Using me as a decoy while he poached rabbits on route. The streets filmed where the same streets I had walked as a kid, with my older brother doing his paper round and the school which my brother attended. It brought back memories of my school days, especially the use of the headmasters cane as a deterrent and form of punishment. Working men’s clubs, bookies and coal mines.
    The landscape still looked familiar to me, but what was obvious is just how basic and uncomplicated our lives were back then. So much has changed in those 50years and our children now see a very different life, which may even look strange to their grandkids.

Wow I am stunned someone who grew up in real time of that film, remember watching this on tv with brother, then having to watch it in English. Write essays on it.

You really should write a book in fact many of us should, that interesting angle on working class life, like you said work was simpler .you may have rose tinted life and maybe your family and friends in that area did as well

but we all cant deny it certainly was simpler.

Yep you defo need to write a book and get it published, some of your thoughts and life time events are fascinating, you experienced first hand major events in your life, maybe your kicking back with your stance on Brexit, but man you would defo make an interesting read.

Its weird life did seem so simple bloody hard but simple.

I remember watching that film for the first time, stunned how hard everyone was, teachers students and how grim and hard life and the buildings looked, growing up in the countryside as a carrot cruncher defo made us country lads a bit softer than town lads, yet I liked the straightness the bluntness the swearing, but was amazed at the cane something banned before I started school.

• one that wulfie enjoyed.

Stardust,a really well made and enjoyable film that somehow had escaped my knowledge until my last download session recently :-)

i have three sections of films on my hard drive and external hard drive

Films - where any films I get go and then get deleted after watching or moved to another section.

films to watch again - which are good enough to watch another time

Fly's favourite films- which needs no explanation.

Stardust ended up in the latter :-)

• French Whale Fan and I went to see The Good Liar yesterday. With Ian McKellen, Helen Mirren and Russell Tovey in the three main roles it would have been quite a feat to turn this one into a turkey. It did not disappoint. Great performances and, even though I guessed which way the plot was heading, there were still enough surprises to make it a worthwhile trip to the cinema.

As an aside, it was a big auditorium with five in the audience. A couple had booked the seats immediately in front of us and talked the whole way through. Why? They could have sat in the bar and had a chat or gone to one of the overdubbed showings if it was proving beyond them to read subtitles in French over the original language onscreen dialogue. In the end I moved so I could focus on the film. Good job there were plenty of empty seats.

• just watching the last hour of - The Straight Story . David Lynch fact - based drama about Alvin Straight , who drives hundreds of miles across America to visit his dying brother.

Very good made me think of the Grateful Dead roadie who embarked on a 3,500 mile trip on a lawnmower from Alaska to Virginia to claim a home his mother had left him .

A couple of reports of his journey -

http://deadnews.blogspot.com/2…l-dead-roadie-update.html

https://www.post-gazette.com/l…ower/stories/200708240296

• My mate claims that film is about me and my brother. He insisted I watched it. My brother is in India now and when I was younger I wanted to drive a grey Massey Ferguson tractor to India, asking for help and assistance from other tractor enthusiasts on route.