What was the last movie you watched?: Take 2

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Black 47 - harrowing tale set amidst the Irish famine. 7/10

The outter wild- strange apocolyptic low budget, very low budget. 5/10

Hold the dark - a hunter is called in after wolves take three children. A dark movie and one of the best I've seen in a while. A good 8/10.

• Last film I watched a couple of days ago was the Physician on Netflix. I read the book a few years ago and was entirely gripped by it and was delighted to recently find out there was a film version, and the film was really good and enjoyed it thoroughly, The book is a hefty tomb and the film does miss a lot out but it does cover the story well I thought. Its about a travelling barber surgeon in the 10th century and how he adversely takes on an apprentice who subsequently discovers he has great skills and becomes gripped with wanting to learn surgery and the workings of thr human body due to his meeting with a foreign traveller come over to England who told him about the greatest surgeon of the day in the far east so he travels there to find the Madrasa and gets a place to study.

• Scorpion King Book of souls. Sword and sandal fantasy but quite watchable, good 7/10

The night comes for us. Chinese triad hackum and slashum movie. 8/10

Death squad temple of the undead. Total shite 2/10 on the first half then turned off.

• Scorpion King Book of souls. Sword and sandal fantasy but quite watchable, good 7/10

The night comes for us. Chinese triad hackum and slashum movie. 8/10

Death squad temple of the undead. Total shite 2/10 on the first half then turned off.

Just done a search on netflix for scorpion king book of souls, not on there, did you stream it on line, I like a bit of sword and sandal fantasy.

The last couple of films I've started watcjhing that had a good write up and story line that looked interesting saw me not bothering part way through, why do films have to be so violent as in overly visual on the blood and guts, I get they portray shootings, knife/sword attacks, people being blown up, car crashes to put across what happened in a scene, but why do they have be so visual and gory with it, why cant they be suggestive, I get why they portray someone being shot but why do they have to show someones head or body actually exploding in such graphic detail and you see all the innards dribbling out, there's too much gore and blood and guts for my liking in a lot of films. for instance, if in a film someone gets squashed by a car, they show they actual body exploding spewing the guts all over the place or someone shead gets cut off by a sword, I know thats what it actrualy looks like in real life if someone gets squashed by a fast travelling car or the head lopped off but I dont really enjoy seeing visual interpretations of it in such detail in a film. I would be more content to see a film all the way through if it was suggestive and not so graphic, it puts me off starting a film if it looks like it is going down that road.

• Streamed online at a mates house. Likewise, I enjoy the old sword and sandal or historics, viking or medieval. The days of the camp Arnie playing Conan types are sadly over and although I enjoy down and dirty realistic to the era, blood and snot in excess does ruin good films. Book of Souls could have been so much better but poor directing spoils it.

• Robin Hood The Rebellion. Saw Brian Blessed was in the cast so thought I was in for a treat. Wrong, the old twat just did it for the money. The worst low budget pisspoor storylined load of crap with shite acting that you could ever see. Richard Green will be spinning in his grave. 5/10, high score as Maid Marion was quite tuppable despite her crap performance.

• Physician. Best film I’ve seen in years.

Yep indeed, I posted above that I watched it a while ago, an amazing film, loved every minute of it. I read the book several years ago and it is a hell of a tomb, like as thick as three normal books, but what a hell of a read, the film skips a lot of the book but never the less, they covered the story very well, the film would be 7 hours + long if they followed the book chapter and verse, if you do come across a copy of the book AW, I highly recommend it.

At the moment I am seriously engrained in a series called Sense8 on netflix, what an amazing incredible story, the writer who came up with this must have one hell of an mind and an imagination, although it is a bit gorey at times with close up shootings and knife/sword slicing which puts me off a lot of movies, the difference with this is you can see how it actually forms part of the story, I wouldnt say its necessary but it makes it work and its not plain old gratuitous violence for the sake of it, seriously worth a watch if your into imaginative ideas about the human psyche, its about a bunch of people who were all born on the same day, same year and exacty the same time and they slowly find they are all connected and find they can interact in each others lives from afar, astral planing but in real time, and its their story how they find out about it and how they cope and deal with the unravelling lives of their cluster and how they learn to watch each others back and turn up just in time to look out for them in times of trouble and the secret organisation that are trying to track them down for scientific research, and the girl who plays the swedish D.J Riley, I'm in luuuuurve lol. seriously worth a go.

• Got the physician lined up to watch when I get that long a slot but

The Ranger, horror. Not a bad offering from the USA with obnoxious punks getting their comeuppance. 6/10

Outlaw King. Braveheart with the anal retentive dwarf Gibson with his pisspoor accent was average and shite to an extent. This is a good IMO truer to life, history with a good end battle. 9/10 as I do like a good historical hackum and slashum.

• Just come out on Netflix, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs it involves six tales of the old west,i found it to be a very enjoyable watch,beautifully filmed and well acted without me giving anything away of the stories.

An excellent and varied watch. A good 8/10............. do enjoy a well made offering. Didn't check out the cast before viewing but Liam Neilson and Tyne Daly along with other familiar faces were good to see.

• I never got past the first 15 minutes or so of buster Scruggs or what ever that pish was called, if I must see a cowboy yodelling I want to see him getting kicked in the balls first.

Maybe it's my total and complete hatred of musicals getting in the way

• I never got past the first 15 minutes or so of buster Scruggs or what ever that pish was called, if I must see a cowboy yodelling I want to see him getting kicked in the balls first.

Maybe it's my total and complete hatred of musicals getting in the way

I'm glad I am not the only one who has a complete and utter hatred of musicals or anything that even not even closely resembles a musical. Someone told me its worth watchig the lord of the rings trilogy that came out on film, well, sat down to the first one, after the first 15 minutes or so when they were all gathered in Bilbo Baggins kitchen and they broke out in a musical style song, that was it, I didnt give them the chance to finish the first sentence, I was like fuck that, I aint sitting through that shite and duly hit the off button and ditched the disk it was copied on in the bin once I snapped it. I fail to understand how those that make and perform musicals think they can call it entertainment, its the most excrutiating grunt, and dont get me started on opera, oh and the bog standard family christmas films, seriously, dont ever expect me to sit in front of the idiot lantern watching such painful drivel.