Social Care Work.....

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I have always worked in health and social care. I am now training to be a nurse as I want to work in palliative care.

However I would highly recommend social care work as a career path. It is very tough but extremely rewarding! I worked in a variety of settings with elderly, terminally ill and adults with severe learning disabilities, all of which I loved.

There is lots of opportunity for career progression and it is fairly easy to change field (ie from working with children to adults). Starting pay is not great but there are loads of qualifications and skills you can do to bump it up a bit. You can either work in the public sector (social services run) or private sector (privately run/funded homes etc) or the voluntary sector (charity run places). Each sector has pros and cons so you might want to think about that also.

As for the icky stuff, you just have to deal with it! It is really hard to begin with but after a while you just get used to it and forget that it ever freaked you out. When I first started working in a nursing home I remember being so freaked out by everything (commodes, hoists, feeding etc) because it all seemed so undignified. My mentor there told me to give it 2 months...she was spot on and I never looked back!

Good luck in whatever you end up doing and if it doesn't work out, then at least you can say you tried :D

Here is another link that may be of use...

http://www.gscc.org.uk/Home/

• Starting pay is not great but there are loads of qualifications and skills you can do to bump it up a bit.

How is the pay in this industry once you got an NVQ?? A heard a few people say its really bad, but then on some web sites the money seems ok....

I dont mind starting on a low wage, I will not be into it because of money, but it would be nice to know there is progression to bigger things in the future, in case I have a family, kids, bills, house etc..

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• NVQ's are a great way to improve knowledge and wages. I guess how much more you get depends on where you work...I got 30p more per hour for my NVQ.

• when i passed my NVQ3 my pay went up about £1000 a year. nice, obviously, although not being a very studious type i found the NVQ a complete pain to do. but it certainly does help to do an NVQ if you get the chance, partly cos of the slightly higher wage but also cos it's a qualification you can then use in your favour if you apply for promotions and whatnot within the industry.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

• but it certainly does help to do an NVQ if you get the chance, partly cos of the slightly higher wage

How long do the NVQs take to do?? I know you have to go to college part-time to do them while working... how long would an NVQ level 2 take on average?? That seems to be the one companies are offering.

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• I did my Nvq on the job. They come out and supervise you on the job a few times, you do a bit of paper work and then I got my Nvq. No college involved. My pay went up about 90p an hour.
    So many different companies pay different rates, so fish about.

• You do NVQ's whilst working...no need for college. They take as long as you want really, depends how much time you have and how hard you work. I reckon 6 months to a year is a realistic time frame.

• Thanks for the info peeps... all really good stuff....

There is one thing you could help me with, what type of working hours do you guys do?? Its really hard to make out from job adverts...

I am not particulary fond of very early mornings or night work, one place said starting time of 7 AM :eek:...

But day times, afternoons, evenings, weekend work dont bother me at all....

• I used to do 24.5 hour shifts from 10am till 10.30am. It wasnt' really like work, more just like living in a different house for a day with some kids.

• Working hours depend on what the job is.. I do home care.. So I tell the company I work for my availability and they give me work in those hours. If you can work eveings and weekends they will love you forever.

• Working hours depend on what the job is.. I do home care.. So I tell the company I work for my availability and they give me work in those hours. If you can work eveings and weekends they will love you forever.

I was looking at home care, and the advert says various shifts, so I thought they decided what times you are supposed to work not the other way round.....

That would work out great for me if thats the case..

• the shifts vary depending on the job, but social care usually requires providing 24 hour care...and than means working unsociable hours...tis just part of the job I'm afraid.

You honestly just get used to the early shifts and when you have a job you love getting up early is not so hard! :D

• You honestly just get used to the early shifts

What time did you used to start work in the residental centre..on an early shift?? Did you have to do night shifts as well...