Lighting Up Hadrian's Wall......

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• yeah will be cold, but will look spectacular at sunrise.... Anyway I will have the option to go and sleep in a heated car or bed and breakfast if I want... ha ha

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• Just found out yesterday I'm right at the end at Bowness on Solway, past carlisle! If I was just going to watch tho I guess I'd just aim for the highest point!

• I will be in carlisle for the event, probably stumbling up a hill with tent, fire wood and other things hoping I dont get thrown off for camping.....

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• I will be in carlisle for the event, probably stumbling up a hill with tent, fire wood and other things hoping I dont get thrown off for camping.....

Hey dude, I'll be round Carlisle too, we should meet up (or not if ya don't want to!). Don't worry, I don't bite people anymore :whistle: :D

• you do know that it'll be over by 8pm!!!?

what will be over??? the lighting of the beacons or the events in the towns???

The post was edited 1 time, last by moonpup ().

• Not sure where I am gonna go and see it.. for the people on the forum who are not working during the event, are you going to see the illumintaion at the official events with the viewpoints?? or do you reckon its gonna be better to go up on the wall/trail itself to see it and hang out???

• Yeah i just watched it all lit up, yeah looks pretty good...... I suppose they using gas because the size of the flame, I think they want to see it for miles around.....

• Watching the rehearsal on Countryfile now.
    Disappointing to see it's all gas not wood or oil lanterns or something

According to the letters they sent out, of about 515 light points, 250 are gas burners and the others are a mix of ceremonial candles and hand flares. I guess part of it is the ignition issues - I missed countryfile but it seems from the facebook comments that they are expecting the line of light to move very fast and I guess that fumbling with lanterns in the dark would slow the process a bit.. but I agree - a line of lanterns would look lovely...

• I went to Vindalanda (can't remember if that's how you spell it now) when I was holidaying in Northumberland, I though it was very impressive, saw a real live red squirrel about 2 foot in front of me nibbling on the wall. It made my day. and I don't mean eating the stone before anyone says! I agree with Simon99 though, they should relocated it to nearer my house so save on the carbon footprint.

• i am going to be at lanercost near brampton....soooooo excited

Should not have said that, you never know what strange folk are gonna turn up on the wall where you are.... ha

• random hobbits with big feet and all that...... when there is a full moon.

• That's as good a spot as any; the Priory is well worth a visit too if the Wall starts to get a bit monotonous. (But given that much of it is recycled wall that's probably not such a change!).

• That's as good a spot as any; the Priory is well worth a visit too if the Wall starts to get a bit monotonous. (But given that much of it is recycled wall that's probably not such a change!).

as i'm going to be an illuminator i don't think i'll be getting bored!!! recycling's all good!!!!

• I wish I'd seen this a couple of weeks ago!
    Went to Hadrians wall / Hardknott Fort wildcamping with my son last year and we both loved it, especially at the Roman army museum where we went to a talk from a Tungrian Auxiliary and learnt so much. Will definitely be heading back soon. Guess I'll just have to watch it instead

• I wish I'd seen this a couple of weeks ago!
    Went to Hadrians wall / Hardknott Fort wildcamping with my son last year and we both loved it, especially at the Roman army museum where we went to a talk from a Tungrian Auxiliary and learnt so much. Will definitely be heading back soon. Guess I'll just have to watch it instead

They gonna film it and release the video on the web site.......