Lighting Up Hadrian's Wall......

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I wish I lived near enough, and had enough holiday left, to go and see this it looks like it will be pretty spectacular....:(

• I've got a piece of brick from Hadrian's Wall on my bookshelf :whistle:

What lots of people don't realise is that the wall you can see today was rebuilt by a victorian industrialist (Lord Armstong (?)), because most of the stonework had been taken by the local farmers and to build churches and abbeys. Some of the original wall can still be seen, but it just breaks surface at places like Wallsend, A69 and by the Military Road. It was a much more impressive construction and I think you can get an impression at Vinlanda fort.

• What lots of people don't realise is that the wall you can see today was rebuilt by a victorian industrialist (Lord Armstong (?)), because most of the stonework had been taken by the local farmers and to build churches and abbeys. Some of the original wall can still be seen, but it just breaks surface at places like Wallsend, A69 and by the Military Road. It was a much more impressive construction and I think you can get an impression at Vinlanda fort.

I didn't nick it, an ex did back in about 1994 ... I was like "You can't do that!" while she was digging away in the mud with her bare hands and refusing to listen to me ... The lump of rock then sat in the footwell of my car for 6 months until I eventually brought it in.

Not sure of the exact area, but we drove directly north from the Long Meg stone circle I think. It was mostly embedded in mud, and like you say, not really breaking the surface.

• What lots of people don't realise is that the wall you can see today was rebuilt by a victorian industrialist (Lord Armstong (?)), because most of the stonework had been taken by the local farmers and to build churches and abbeys. Some of the original wall can still be seen, but it just breaks surface at places like Wallsend, A69 and by the Military Road. It was a much more impressive construction and I think you can get an impression at Vinlanda fort.

Thats only true for the eastern end of the wall, Geordies will nick anything:whistle:, the most impressive stretches are around Housesteads fort and have been reconstituted by the National Trust and English Heritage, I was priveleged to be a part of the National Trust team based at Housesteads for a couple of years before joining English Heritage on the Carlisle stretch, much less remains on the western end as the sandstone used was much softer than the whin stone used on the eastern side.
    Vindolanda fort is not actually part of the wall like Housesteads or Birdoswald (reputed to be the birthplace of Saint Patrick), but is a few miles to the south and is the only roman fort in private ownership.
    The best stretch for walking is from Housesteads to Once Brewed, then refreshments at the Twice Brewed Inn :D

• Vindolanda fort is not actually part of the wall like Housesteads or Birdoswald

Yes but have they not rebuilt part of the fort/gate to give an impression of what it would have looked like in roman times? Which was what I was trying to put across! I believe Vindolanda has provided many details of roman life, even to the fact that the soldiers used to wear underpants!

• The best stretch for walking is from Housesteads to Once Brewed, then refreshments at the Twice Brewed Inn :D

Ditto...I walked along that stretch, it's the most rugged bit that goes along Whin sill...very dramatic scenery :thumbup: Those Romans' would have needed to wear their thermals to cope with the icy winds blasting along that ridge:D

• oh my god! they're lighting it up 2 days before my 18th! that just makes me want to go even more! dont think i could get the time off work though :(

• Lift sorted, just need tickets and I am there :D

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• Yes but have they not rebuilt part of the fort/gate to give an impression of what it would have looked like in roman times? Which was what I was trying to put across! I believe Vindolanda has provided many details of roman life, even to the fact that the soldiers used to wear underpants!

Not Houseteads certainly; perhaps Wallsend where there has been a fair bit of reconstruction?

• I am going to try to watch it all from somewhere in the high northern Pennines, somewhere that I can look down from and see many of the beacons being lit one by one. It should be a great sight.

If anyone is interested in seeing in New Year 2011 somewhere different. Head for Allenheads in the North Pennines, everyone in the village donates their Christmas tree to a giant bonfire in the village square. Then at about 11.30m pm a group guys light burning half barrels of tar, place them on their heads and walk around the village. At midnight the bonfire is lit from the tar barrels! Amazing...

• I just got this in an e-mail from the organisers of the event!

Congratulations you have been successful in your application to become an illuminator for the Illuminating Hadrians Wall Event on march 13th.

:woohoo:

• wow! nice one! :grin: :woohoo:

i was going to apply for one of those places too, but decided my stoopid body would make me too unreliable for it.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Congratulations you have been successful in your application to become an illuminator for the Illuminating Hadrians Wall Event on march 13th.

:congrats:

That's so cool! Really happy for ya! :D:thumbup: :clap::cheer:

Nice one... still in 2 minds if I am gonna volunteer, a load of my mates are coming up with me.... Like the sound of lighting the beacons but also like the sound of wandering all night beacon to beacon and going on adventures....

We are taking up a tent/shelter, food and booze and gonna go all night dusk till dawn..... Hopefully be able to light some fires and stuff as well.

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• Bee, you do know you're not setting fire to the wall, but torches above it?;) Do you know where you will be sited yet?

yes, dear - of course - torches! no idea where i'll be - will find out next week i believe.

Yay mama bee, just checked my emails, I'm going too!! :D

Tell you what - let me know where you are and I'll set off along the wall with my illuminated torch and a bag of tiles!

• Congrats to Mama Bee. I haven't got any means to get up there but don't want to miss out. Is there anyone driving up going by the midlands?

:waves:

Like i messaged you, my mates car is full up, but if someone does drop out between now and then I will let you know....

• Yay mama bee, just checked my emails, I'm going too!! :D

Tell you what - let me know where you are and I'll set off along the wall with my illuminated torch and a bag of tiles!

we must remember to wear our ukh badges!!!! if you need a lift we could pick you up!!! i was going to go up the m6 but we can go via leeds m62/a1m ....simon 99 is coming up with us too. i am dropping h at his godmothers house in wylam .... we won't know where we are going to be until next week tho...

• :congrats:

And take lots of piccies; just don't drop the damn torch when you do...:o

I just got this in an e-mail from the organisers of the event!

• :congrats:

And take lots of piccies; just don't drop the damn torch when you do...:o

more multi tasking, huh? i dunno :rolleyes: i met spiralite yesterday and we are going to see if we can swing it to sort of be in the same bit so we can hold each others torches while we take pics....in the dark (ish)....up a hill..... on a wall.....all i can say is it better not be raining!

• Cant decide whether to go to Segedunum Fort to see the theatrical performence leading to the first beacon to be lit, or to go to Carlisle and go rampaging through the streets with drums and firetorches and yomp up a hill up to the wall.......

mmm both sound good :D

Pic from this weeks practice run....

Cant wait.....

The post was edited 4 times, last by moonpup ().

• Does anyone know which part of the wall is best to go and visit?? we will be going during the daytime as well and I have no idea which part of the wall is the best area to go and see.... Me and my friends are medieval nutters so would like to see some castles or forts........