Lighting Up Hadrian's Wall......

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• i LOVE hadrians wall, and have walked bits of it in the past.

i would love to go to that, and might well do, so thank you for bringing that to my attention! :D

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

i would love to go to that, and might well do, so thank you for bringing that to my attention! :D

I think it will be a once in a lifetime thing to see.. some of my most cherished memories in life evolve around these type of usually free old historic gathering type of things!! Summer solstice at castlerigg stone circle in lake district, summer solstice at glastobury tor (wow I can still picture it now), and a performence at the outdoor minack theatre down in porthcuarno beach in cornwall, watching the thunder and waves crashing in around the theatre chipped into the cliff rocks, watching Richard the third play.....

:D:D:D:D

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• May be similar to the scene from this film, half way through the youtube video.. They plan to set lights from one side of the wall to the other..... They are actually looking for 500 people to volunteer and stand on the wall throughout the night to set fires... cool or what!!

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• They are actually looking for 500 people to volunteer and stand on the wall throughout the night to set fires...

wow - that's not something you get to do everyday!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

ditto - especially between hexham and wylam. i took h to chesters and corebridge camps in the summer. i'd be up for this - if you can make it here we could go together??

• ditto - especially between hexham and wylam. i took h to chesters and corebridge camps in the summer. i'd be up for this - if you can make it here we could go together??

OMG yeah! it was near hexham where i walked it before and it's stunning!

it's the sort of thing where i would just willingly accept the consequences of how ill it would make me coz it would be so totally worth it!

• OMG yeah! it was near hexham where i walked it before and it's stunning!

it's the sort of thing where i would just willingly accept the consequences of how ill it would make me coz it would be so totally worth it!

and there is a great pub on the wall along the military road near corebridge called the robin hood - although the sign has a pic of errol flynn from the 1930s film of robin hood so we have renamed it the errol flynn. it has the best veggie lasagne i have ever had!!! and huge portions - you need to be walking the wall to walk it off.

Me too...it's an amazing walk :thumbup:...did most of it, pre-children, back in the eighties (one winter) when you were actually allowed to walk on the wall. I'm not sure if you're still allowed? I have some old photos of the wall covered in snow, I'll have to find them and scan themin :thumbup:

• That should be spectacular... once a regular visitor, I haven't been there in years:(

• Me too...it's an amazing walk :thumbup:...did most of it, pre-children, back in the eighties (one winter) when you were actually allowed to walk on the wall. I'm not sure if you're still allowed? I have some old photos of the wall covered in snow, I'll have to find them and scan themin :thumbup:

I think English Heritage opened a footpath that runs alongside the Wall for most of its length so you don't need to. Except that it has proved so popular apparently it gets churned to mud so walking on the wall may prove easier unless EH have put down some of those anti-erosion mats they use in grassed carparks.

• Sounds ace! I have vague memories of going to Hadrians Wall as a young'un, would love to visit it again.

It's a shame the Romans built it up north, they should have considered that it would be far more convenient for tourists if it was closer to London! :whistle:

• I know....how bleedin' inconsiderate of them:D
    Do you know you can see Hadrian's Wall from the moon ;)

see, if they'd have had picts and scots and who ever else painting them selves blue and scaring the crap out of the romans in oxfordshire, you'd not need to travel so far.:pp

• The first one is being lit in Wallsend, which is where I live. My mam and dad live in Hexham so I could see it from there. The best place to see it would be from a plane!

• see, if they'd have had picts and scots and who ever else painting them selves blue and scaring the crap out of the romans in oxfordshire, you'd not need to travel so far.:pp

What have the Romans ever done for us........

One thing they did which is very useful is building the Old Fosse (B4114...the Romans didn't call it this btw;)), which makes my journey down to Cheltenham very enjoyable and picturesque and very noticeably 'straight' so I hardly have to turn the steering wheel at all and can have a nap on the way down;):D If they hadn't built it then I'd have to use the curs-ed A46 :curse:

• Wow, when I walked along it I'd got no idea that it stretched halfway around the earth.....it's deceptive isn't it? :D

A common misconception! You see that picture was taken many hundreds of years ago when the wall was much longer, cos when it was originally built the sea was alot lower then, but now of course it is much shorter, and most of the wall has been lost to the sea... :whistle:

• Oh I understand......taken from a Tudor spaceship using a Box Brownie...it all makes sense now;) I've seen cave paintings depicting this very event:D

Well obviously *we* didn't take that photo. I got it off one of my fellow alien mates! Keep it a secret though yeah? If word got out, I will get all sorts of requests for strange alien stuff! :whistle:

• What have the Romans ever done for us........

One thing they did which is very useful is building the Old Fosse (B4114...the Romans didn't call it this btw;)), which makes my journey down to Cheltenham very enjoyable and picturesque and very noticeably 'straight' so I hardly have to turn the steering wheel at all and can have a nap on the way down;):D If they hadn't built it then I'd have to use the curs-ed A46 :curse:

h is doing the romans at school: he is really into all things roman at the moment....and thinks that asterix dvds are most informative......who's he trying to fool!!!?