Leisure Batteries?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Sorry if this is wrong place for me to ask, but what is the best leisure battery to get to light up inside of my truck? i been looking on the net for some and for good price e.t.c but there are so many diff types and i dont have a clue i dont want to buy the wrong thing ... any help would be great or if anyone knows good website for these things.. also do i have to buy a charger too? is that a stupid question? ha... thanx :hippy:

• Wouldn't know what sort to get... but they charge themselves off the main battery while the engine's running so you don't need a charger :)

• worth buying propper Leisure Batteries not car or truck batterie as Leisure Batteries are designed to be charged up and run flat again and again, do this to normal batteries and the be dead in no time,

and Bogwoppit is right the will charge off main batteries or cheap charger spliter from alternater, i like the little sollor pannel chargers too there cheap and help keep power up

The early bird may well get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese

• I wont go into the technicalities but essentially the choises are agm, gel or lead acid, (deep discharge batteries) lead acid being similar to car batteries. Any will work as long as they are a dedicated leisure battery but gel/agm will generally last longer, wont spill but are usually heavier!
    You will find Ups batts advertised on the net (usually back up batteries for telecommunication systems) that are ideal as they usually have had little or no use, but ask what dates are on them.
    I believe they can deteriorate from being discharged for long periods but these are usually worth a gamble due to the low price. Usually approx 110 ah so one should be adequate for anything but the largest vehicle if charged daily.

• I have 2x 110ah leisure batteries which cost around £70 each. I use 1 at a time charged from a 60w solar panel or the roof, and even now do fine for everyday use-lighting and phone charging etc.
    If I want to watch lots of dvds I charge the dead battery at a friends house

• Thats wicked, thanx for you help guys...i got confused looking at all diff types... I can now go ahead and purchase one today - brill.. thanx :hippy:

• Aye, batteries are a bit of a science, it's worth learning how they work and how they should be charged.
    I've had various makes of leisure battery, and not been that impressed with any of them to be honest. Some have been dead inside 6 months, and I only use them occasionally, and never run them really low or leave them flat. A bloke i know bought some quite expensive Elecsol batteries and they weren't much good either. There's a seller on Ebay selling Lucas batteries at pretty good prices, he's got lots of leisure batteries on there. If i were to buy batteries now, I would probably give some of those a whirl!

• Batteries is a more complex subject then you might think. Go to this link and look further on the site

http://www.sterling-power.com/support-faq-2.htm

Ok, I read this article and I'm now even more confused...

Not that I learned many new things.. But I just realized one thing! Where the hell can I go and SEE a few different kinds of batteries and decide which one to buy????

• well..just to add fuel to the fire...sorry gas,lol.. for 12 months I have been running 3 batteries..one at a time in strict rotation.
    1. 110 amp hr deep cycle wet leisure battery (£80 new)
    2. 110 amp hr deep cycle gel leisure battery (£130 new)
    3. 90 amp hr bosh cranking battery I bought second hand. (£15 when 2 years old)

I charge them all in the same way...via a 4 stage 18 amp 240v charger
    I charge them all to exactly the same level.

All can say is I get the most staying power (and quickest charge obviously!) out the 90 amp hr starter battery..and repeated draining and charging does not seem to bother it at all. Deep cycles may be alright for a bit of 12v lighting but they wont last long running a 12v blown air heating system. whereas the starter battery stays above the 12v cutout level the longest..by a long way.

so it may not just be..whats best for a leisure battery..it may also depend what you are running. If you are only running them till they drop off 12v..or yer zig light turns red.. then a second hand starter will do just as well

• Ok, I read this article and I'm now even more confused...

Ok this is how I see it! A lot of companies have these leisure batteries, but they are in fact just re-badged starter batteries. because real "leisure batteries" or deep cycle are sooo expensive. What the website says is just use normal lead acid starter batteries, but be aware what they are. For instance fully dis-charging cycles will limit its life.

• Yoursinuk, my experience is exactly the same as yours. All the leisure batteries i have bought have been a real disappointment, some not lasting very long at all. Hydrometer tests usually revealed at least one weak cell in them. I have a couple of old Delphi lorry batteries which i have abused over 6 or 7 years, used for starting engines, running lights, tv, sounds etc. I have accidentally run them flat loads of times, but they're as strong as ever. Definitely worth buying good names of battery though, Bosch, Exide, Varta, plus a few others I can't think of at the moment. I have a Halfords calcium battery on my car, which is 8 years and 100,000 miles old and still strong. They're not cheap though.

• how about some cells from an old ups system, we have a wet cell battery bin at work, and occasionally get wet cell nicad cells, at 2.4 volts each cell 65Ah, you would need 6, these things arent cheap, but if you can find a set that have been replaced because they are past their use by date, but still work ok (ie somewhere that sticks to their maintenance regieme rigidly you may be able to score a decent set of batteries. I would suggest electrical contracting companies, IT companies or similar.
    also worth contacting local power stations that have battery backups for getting the power station back up and running, I have seen single 2V batteries each the size of a car battery or bigger, and these get regularly replaced too.
    if you are lucky you may be able to get these for nothing (and if there is a dead cell you should be able to take it down the scrap yard and get a few quid for it too)
    Grendel

• wow ! so much to learn and know about leisure batteries... thanx for all your help on this guys, much appreciated.. i havent bought one yet as with all the snow i didnt get out much..ha..., will do soon so will be taking all your advice on board.. cheers :hippy:

• Just to add more confusment for you, for cheap batteries second hand you might find a mobility scooter thats had a prang or no longer needed and get the battery pack out of it

• Post by garlic ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Just to add more confusment for you, for cheap batteries second hand you might find a mobility scooter thats had a prang or no longer needed and get the battery pack out of it

Shouldn't laugh, but the thought of a mobility scooter pile up is rather amusing..mind you they terrorise the footpaths so balancing someone's mobility freedom and reducing terror on the pavements, maybe liberating a battery may be in the greater good.
    *takes cover*

• A genuine deep cycle battery, because so called leisure batteries are just re-badged starter batteries. But look at the eye watering price!

http://www.barden-ukshop.com/r…-cycle-battery-1715-p.asp

And how heavy it is!!!

Um, yes...but look at the capacity, its more than three big 110 AH batteries. Still pricey, but not utterly mad when you put it in perspective.

• Um, yes...but look at the capacity, its more than three big 110 AH batteries. Still pricey, but not utterly mad when you put it in perspective.

When you consider they are the real deal! And I think they have a 15 year warranty, but they are for critical use where it could be life or death!

• When you consider they are the real deal! And I think they have a 15 year warranty, but they are for critical use where it could be life or death!

Of just for when you want a reliable large capacity power supply. How much would three truck batteries cost, how much would they weigh, and how long would they last? Because that's the cheapest alternative.

• Of just for when you want a reliable large capacity power supply. How much would three truck batteries cost, how much would they weigh, and how long would they last? Because that's the cheapest alternative.

Looking on the web site, 3 lorry batteries would be about the same cost wise for a similar capacity, but are only 2 year warranties (Not 10, although I did state 15 previously), so that tells a sort of story in itself. And individually they weigh a lot less, that must be the amount of lead plate in them I suspect.

• Anyone had experience of Elecsol batteries ?

Well no! But I've looked at the link and I see it's not only a deep cycle battery but claims to be a starter battery as well! That's an oxymoron, I have read! You see so called leisure batteries are just starter batteries that have been re-badged as "deep cycle". But looking at technical specs the manufactures of said leisure batteries may be spreading dis-information to stop people realising that they are only purchasing starter batteries with a hidden premium! So I think more research is required. But if you look at the link I put up earlier that is a bone fida deep cycle battery, but at £700 and 10 year guanentee, but life expected of 15, against 5 years for the Elecscol. So comparing the specs it will be second, depending on your requirements/circumstances.

• After a bit of research with professor Google

"Basically there are two types of lead acid batteries (along with 3 sub categories); The two main types are Starting (cranking), and Deep Cycle (marine/golf cart). The starting battery (SLI starting lights ignition) is designed to deliver quick bursts of energy (such as starting engines) and therefore has a greater plate count. The plates are thinner and have somewhat different material composition. The deep cycle battery has less instant energy, but greater long-term energy delivery. Deep cycle batteries have thicker plates and can survive a number of discharge cycles. Starting batteries should not be used for deep cycle applications because the thinner plates are more prone to warping and pitting when discharged. The so-called Dual Purpose Battery is a compromise between the two types of batteries, though it is better to be more specific if possible."

source http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html#2

So by combining the two types of batteries in one, you are not getting the best of two worlds, but more like a battery that is not good for either task! IMHO.