Any Twitchers know what this is?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Ok, so the fields outside the front of the house have been flooded for the past week and a half, and have turned into a 3ft deep lake.. In addition to the usual crop of everyday inland birds there's been various gulls, Canada Geese, swans, grey plovers, heron and assorted ducks bimbling around where sheep normally graze.
    Now that the flood is going down its more of a wetland/marsh and this morning I saw this bird, but don't know what it is. Its smaller than a Heron, distinctly curved beak, kinda Curlew sized, but dark grey/black (which means it isn't the normal sort of Curlew - and the beak seems wider than a Curlew anyway)
    Can't see it in any of my bird books either. Any twitchers on here who havea clue what it might be??
    Apologies for crap quality pics, these were shot through a low quality 1000mm lens and the bird in question was at least 100 yards away.

• Ok, so the fields outside the front of the house have been flooded for the past week and a half, and have turned into a 3ft deep lake.. In addition to the usual crop of everyday inland birds there's been various gulls, Canada Geese, swans, grey plovers, heron and assorted ducks bimbling around where sheep normally graze.
    Now that the flood is going down its more of a wetland/marsh and this morning I saw this bird, but don't know what it is. Its smaller than a Heron, distinctly curved beak, kinda Curlew sized, but dark grey/black (which means it isn't the normal sort of Curlew - and the beak seems wider than a Curlew anyway)
    Can't see it in any of my bird books either. Any twitchers on here who havea clue what it might be??
    Apologies for crap quality pics, these were shot through a low quality 1000mm lens and the bird in question was at least 100 yards away.

Hmmm, got me there mate, i have NO idea! I thought it might have been a godwit, but not so sure now, the plumage has definatly stumped me as most wading birds have a sort of mottly plumage dont they?

• Looks like a glossy ibis. They're not native but there's been a few sightings this year. About 25 were seen in Pembrey (West Wales) in September, thought maybe blown in by Hurricane Bill. I could be way out though!! lol :p

Maybe you should check with your local birding group or biological records centre - they might know of any local sightings :)

Found these links http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=157197 (sorry about it being to another forum) and http://worcestershiresource.bl…s-sightings-20112009.html so guess that it is more than likely a Glossy Ibis. Well done you!! :D :D

(In another area it's said that this year has been the largest influx of glossy ibis's recorded with 37 seen since September)

• Looks like a glossy ibis. They're not native but there's been a few sightings this year. About 25 were seen in Pembrey (West Wales) in September, thought maybe blown in by Hurricane Bill. I could be way out though!! lol :p

Maybe you should check with your local birding group or biological records centre - they might know of any local sightings :)

I think you're right! They are rare as arent they? Yeah i think my dad was banging on about seeing one in the WWT place down in Llanelli, which is basically near Pembrey.

• Woooo - rare bird alert :D :D

:woohoo:

lol, my parents are always informing me of what rare bird they have seen, like spoonbills and bitterns etc, and i'm sure i've heard them mention that glossy ibis in the same breath (sorry i was brought up in a family of twitchers, its in my blood! lol)

• lol, my parents are always informing me of what rare bird they have seen, like spoonbills and bitterns etc, and i'm sure i've heard them mention that glossy ibis in the same breath (sorry i was brought up in a family of twitchers, its in my blood! lol)

No worries....I remember being on a wildlife holiday when I was about 13 and we spent most of one afternoon chasing a melodious warbler :p

Oh and Bikebodger....any wildlife records can be submitted to the Worcestershire Biological Records Centre. It's run by the local Wildlife Trust at Hindlip :)

• No worries....I remember being on a wildlife holiday when I was about 13 and we spent most of one afternoon chasing a melodious warbler :p

Oh and Bikebodger....any wildlife records can be submitted to the Worcestershire Biological Records Centre. It's run by the local Wildlife Trust at Hindlip :)

Hehe, yeah i used to get dragged around Skomer every year since i was like 8 or something, trying to find the elusive Skomer Vole subspecies lol I was more interested in watching the porpoise and dolphins though! :)

• Hehe, yeah i used to get dragged around Skomer every year since i was like 8 or something, trying to find the elusive Skomer Vole subspecies lol I was more interested in watching the porpoise and dolphins though! :)

It was Skokholm I was on....went every summer between the ages of 12 and 16 with the Wildlife Trust. I prefer it to Skomer as it's smaller and feels more island-y. Used to go swimming in one of the bays and one of my friends got really freaked out when a huge bull seal suddenly popped his head up 6feet behind her then went under again lol :D

Skokholm was the first place I ever saw a Chough and a Peregrine Falcoln (though you see them more often along the coast nowadays which is brilliant :D :D)

• It was Skokholm I was on....went every summer between the ages of 12 and 16 with the Wildlife Trust. I prefer it to Skomer as it's smaller and feels more island-y. Used to go swimming in one of the bays and one of my friends got really freaked out when a huge bull seal suddenly popped his head up 6feet behind her then went under again lol :D

Skokholm was the first place I ever saw a Chough and a Peregrine Falcoln (though you see them more often along the coast nowadays which is brilliant :D :D)

Ahhh yes, Skokholm is nice, although i've never landed there, looks awesome! Seals are lush arent they? They always remind me of big friendly sea-dogs :)

Peregrines are awesome arent they? A few weeks ago, one clobbered a pigeon outside my front door, watched it happen over my garden, was super impressive, although the pigeon didnt think so!

• Peregrines are awesome arent they? A few weeks ago, one clobbered a pigeon outside my front door, watched it happen over my garden, was super impressive, although the pigeon didnt think so!

lol probably not. The last one I saw I was out on the coast path and I heard one calling, turned around and it was 5 metres behind me and flying below the level of the cliff so I was looking down on it's back - was a bit surreal tbh :eek:

(Sorry BikeBodger for the thread hijack! :p)

• lol probably not. The last one I saw I was out on the coast path and I heard one calling, turned around and it was 5 metres behind me and flying below the level of the cliff so I was looking down on it's back - was a bit surreal tbh :eek:

(Sorry BikeBodger for the thread hijack! :p)

Yay! They are my second favorite bird of prey, Little Owl being my fav as they look small, plump and quite evil hehe :) Oh on a side note, do you still do volunteer work for your local wildlife trust?

Yeah sorry BB, we are bad :p

• :D WooHoo indeed! :woohoo:and a bit of :happydanc as well...
    Thanks Noctula :hug::)

Yep, looked at pics on Google, mines not as glossy it seems, but 'tis the same.

It was only here for an hour or so, can't see it now.

Have sent emails to wildlife records etc.

Must go and get on with some work...

• Post by mama bee ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • About a month or so back there was an unprecedented invasion of some 40 or so Glossy IBis in the UK, many of them juveniles from Spain. Many have now gone, but a handful are still around; there's also a couple around Dungeness still.

There was also quite a large influx a couple of years back. Perhaps climate change a factor, as Little Egrets colonised just over a decade ago, Cattle Egrets bred for the first time last year + Great White Egrets becoming more common + likely to breed here soon.

I was in Venezuela last month + Scarlet Ibis are incredibly garish birds- you need shades to look at them!

• OMG I have got all these twitchers, well twitching... (sorry, that should be 'birders' :D)

Had several emails from bird sites, county bird register, county wildlife recorder, nature trust... Its the first sighting in Worcestershire ever of a Glossy Ibis. And they are very rare in this country so everyone's saying.
    So if all these birders head up this way at the weekend I can open a cafe :D

• OMG I have got all these twitchers, well twitching... (sorry, that should be 'birders' :D)

Had several emails from bird sites, county bird register, county wildlife recorder, nature trust... Its the first sighting in Worcestershire ever of a Glossy Ibis. And they are very rare in this country so everyone's saying.

Don't think there will be huge numbers of twitchers as there have been a lot in the country recently, but you'll get all the birders who keep a "Worcestershire list"- good find anyway.

woohoo - at least i got the ibis bit right!!! didn't know you got them at all here. only ever seen red ones in trinidad

• a low quality 1000mm len at 100 yards ......... dident know anyone made such a thing you sure it wasent 10 o clock at night, sorry mate it just seems a bit strange , This is from my SX10IS

1000 yards , I had to enlarge the top picture a bit so you can just see the vane on the church ,

still at a 1000 yards

Canon SX10IS it has 20x opti + 4x digi = 80x all together ...... it is good :)

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong

The post was edited 5 times, last by jeff ().