Who's wintering on wheels this year?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• This is my first full winter living entirely on the road ie no safe winter park up, cosy barn/caravan etc.
    I'm still moving pretty much every day and enjoying it. Keeping a low profile is harder with woodsmoke coming out the stack though.
    Who else is out there this year full time?

• I'm not living the nomadic lifestyle but for all of you who are keep warm. I popped out early and the temperature is dropping. It was 1 degree yesterday morning on the way work...so wrap up warm.

You shut your mouth. How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does

• I was planning to but didn't work out.. The van needed a lot more work than I thought so I'm working on it hoping to move in by Spring.. Good luck and stay warm!

So in what kind of places do you usually park?

• I'm not living the nomadic lifestyle but for all of you who are keep warm. I popped out early and the temperature is dropping. It was 1 degree yesterday morning on the way work...so wrap up warm.

-3 yesterday morning here hun

zennedd have done it many moons ago
    keep warm hunny
    plenty of layers
    what ya doin at christmas

• So in what kind of places do you usually park?

It varies between some beach carparks and a few coastal laybys to some unrestricted town centre semi main roads. Then there are a few forrestry and national trust carparks too.
    Today i'm on my favourite seafront prom. No yellow lines and the locals are ok. There about 3 or 4 other 'motorhome' regulars here but we always move off after 2 nights max so everyone can have a go

• -3 yesterday morning here hun

zennedd have done it many moons ago
    keep warm hunny
    plenty of layers
    what ya doin at christmas

I know it was cold yesterday, but better today.
    My only plans for christmas are to find the best spot of swell and go bodyboarding. So probably south or north Devon or somewhere in Cornwall

• wish i was there with ya! :D i normally only move a couple of times in the winter, but mostly that is coz i'm too lazy to tat down every other day!

maaan i can't wait to get back out there!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• you're mistaking me for someone tidy!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I have wheels under my bed & they won't be moving this winter. This year I have the woodburner installed so not a difficult hybernation. Saying that Im spending more and more time in someone elses bed.
    When I had my three dogs, the wagon door never closed for 18 months. You soon get used to the winter in this country. Before you know it, its spring. I think the worst bit about winter is the shortage of daylight hours.

• Yeah, gotta say the darkness is a bit of a bummer for the soul, but does make new park ups easier. I can arrive earlier and light a fire without being too obvious.
    Doors open is a luxury i can only dream of at the mo. Reminds me on living on the cut. We never closed the side hatch on the waterside then either. The rayburn helped.
    The celebration of Solstice will mean so much more this year.

• funnily enough i don't mind the darkness. i like tuning my body into it. going to bed really early and getting up really early. it always felt like i was achieving so much more.

• not wheels but it is our 3rd consecutive winter on the boat - and yes, sidehatch almost permanently open here too!! we managed to get a new grate for the woodburner yesterday so that will help with keeping the fire in overnight (old one had a big hole and all the fuel fell through so there was not much draught).
    moving on the river in the winter months is often impossible due to guillotine locks and rising water levels, so we will probably be stay put till spring now - maybe the odd jaunt out just for the fun of it :D

stay warm mate, and enjoy,

abby xx

• I know it was cold yesterday, but better today.
    My only plans for christmas are to find the best spot of swell and go bodyboarding. So probably south or north Devon or somewhere in Cornwall

if you do north devon, let us know, any excuse for a drive over the moor and all that

• I'm sort of part time on wheels this winter.

I'm in the van Monday through to Thursday nights, and then home on the island (by bike) for Friday to Monday morning.

Monday night just gone i was glad that I'd booked onto a site for the night, but mostly I manage where ever, yard at work is pretty good as it's got a 7ft high fence all the way round.

Got a blow heater for when I'm on a site, and a gas blower thing for when I'm not. Haven't used the gas thing yet, and have only used the blow heater 3 times so far.

Think it's a lot easier for me as I spend quite a lot of the eve in the works, which is less cold (but not warm!) and has kettle.

Funny way of doing things, but for the moment it's sort of working ok. Think come the spring I'll make a big effort to find somewhere I can park the van and leave her safe all the time and use the bike to get to work. Bit difficult as I work in Chessington, which is on the edge of Kingston, South London.

i always book onto a site for the night if Lizzylou is staying over, just easier as she has to do smart for work.

Hope everyone is keeping warm, and enjoying the superb moon!

:):D:)

• After 30 odd years of living in a mobile in the chilly and very blustery fens of East Anglia being in bricks and mortar now I get hot very quckly....I miss that nearness to the wildlife that is just so touchable, the foxes that slept beneath my bed at night, the owls that sang to me throughout the night...........its all being spoilt now..............

• I just parked up in a secluded valley for winter last week - I chip off some weekends. I love moving about but as the daylight winks at you for a couple of hours before dark rolls in again it becomes a pain in the arse when all u want is a nice dry wood shelter and the luxury of getting as much stuff out as you like in the knowledge you won't have to scarper off anytime soon. Aaahhh. I now have the luxury of using my car (yep - van and car = yuppy traveller) which had been on loan to a mate all summer. I drive over the moors and see the odd truck or two still shunting around - I salute you eternal itinerants - but won't swap my valley for the road until at least oooohhhhh mid January. X

• We're living on the bus full time, at the moment in my garden. Should be moving off soon and will be heading for Dover to Calais and south for some warmth. Woodburner is great !!

• i'm spending my second winter in my transit, spent last winter just south of paris climbing boulders in a forest. this year i'm stuck back in the west midlands, not finding as much wood for the burner, but still enough to get the odd fire burning and cooking the spuds.i'm new to this site and it's great to see so many others loving this way of life, spread the love xx

• we need photo updates on freda bus bytheway!

• but i want to see your burner and it all cosied up!

• Hi all :waves:

Will be in my VW T4 for the first time this winter. Staying near Plymouth and across Dartmoor. Haven't used a site yet due to cost and independence. Been living this way for a few months now.

I bought one of those small camping heaters that runs on butane cartridges but it has to be used with the side door open so I don't go to sleep permanantly. To be honest it was a waste of money. I cook with a camping gaz 2 ring burner. But again I have to have the door open (not too bad as cooking smells and carbonmonoxide go out). I use this for heating up water for between one and three hot water bottles (depending on temperature). If you fill them up and have a cover (or towel) they last until morning, taking the cover off in the small hours.

I use 4 duvets, a sheet and a blanket. One duvet underneath on a 4" foam bed base. Then a blanket with the sheet over. The rest go on top with me an the bottles sandwiched between.

Have room for a small woodburner and would love one. I'm a Carpenter so can get the fuel for free. The cost though would stop me buying one and Id be worried about getting moved on by police thinking I'm camped up permantely.

I met a guy in Plymouth earlier who has lived in his high top LDV overwinter for a while now with no heating just lots of layers. He says if it becomes unbearable I just start the engine. Hi John if you use this site :waves:

The last few weeks have been so wet here in the South West but I'm so happy living this lifestyle. It gives far more than it takes away, even with the cold.

I've learned so far to invest in walking boots and waterproof clothing, a stiff brush to get the pine needles and mud off the matting - oh and a wooly hat!

Good luck to my fellow vanners,

David

• you have free fuel and no burner? cost? 99 quid machine mart, tiny pot belly. ask around there will be someone who can make you a gas bottle burner for less. a wood burner will keep your place dry and a gas heater will produce water in the form of condensation on everything leading to damp mould and bad health.
    theres no way we are a stealth vehicle and we arent bothered about attention from plod as we are legal. if you park considerately and not for long in same place and are polite even (psuedo) freindly if plod do turn up then why would they move you on before you are ready.

• Hi David - I sometimes frequent Dartmoor down that way too - believe me you will never look back after getting the burner installed - do it NOW! Think, constant hot water (so long as you have a flat top), wet clothes dry in a couple of hours, no damp, lovely warm feeling when you come in from the cold, soups puttering away, no gas-condensation. And what do you mean you sleep with the bloody door open? In DECEMBER? :eek:

I think there's a Machine Mart in Plymouth's Embankment Road