squatting a huge listed building and peppercorn rent to owner

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• hopefully will have moved people into it by the weekend and wondering how the first contact with the owner will go down.

anyone want to shed light on these types of things.

• Have you (or anyone else involved) ever done this before? Generally it's straightforward for the first week.. After that, it really depends on who the owner is. Do you know who the owner is?

Get yourselves a copy of the Squatter's Handbook if you haven't already. Private landlords tend to fall in 3 categories:

1) Average wealth, will probably want to talk to you directly, might easily come to some sort of agreement, from you doing the space up for a couple of years rent-free while living in it and then returning it, to paying some kind of rent, to getting out by a certain date..

2) Filthy rich bastard, you'll never see their face, they'll hire an expensive lawyer to deal with it. You'll be out of there in a couple of months normally, with the bailiffs waiting..

3) Hardened criminal type, he'll probably round up 30 buddies with scaffolding poles and arrive at 5am to beat the shit out of you..

These are the 3 most common approaches I've heard of/experienced..

Then we have organizations, such as the NHS, a University, a developer and so on.. In that case, they just have their legal team deal with it, usually you'll be out in a couple of months as with #2 above, but I've heard of them getting emergency injunctions (recently happened in Sheffield) for "political reasons" (Nick Clegg was supposed to visit and they didn't want him to get upset by the squatted buildings) that can get you kicked out within a week.

The last and usually best case is that of a council-owned building.. If they don't have plans for it in the near future, they'd usually just let you stay in there without much trouble, even for a few years. However, when they want you out, they'll get you out. Legally, you don't really stand a chance.

Other important things to keep in mind:

1) Put up the legal notice on ALL entrances.

2) Do not break and enter, that will get you kicked out ASAP. Only enter through already open/broken doors/windows.

3) You HAVE to install locks on all entrances and secure the property once you're in. If you can prove you have a key to gain access to the building, that gives you some protection under law from being kicked out.

4) Best to contact other squats or related political groups in the area to let them know, in case you need "support" at any point.

5) Unless this is a protest for something, if you want to stay in the building for a while, best keep it low key (avoid putting up a "Fuck the Government AND the Cops" banner on the outside)..

6) Keep it safe, especially with electricity and gas. The utility companies will help kick you out if they notice anything risky going on.

Best of luck! Keep us posted!

• cheers for the advice I think I may know who owns the building I think the man may be my fathers solicitor or I may be totally wrong.

the location is really out of the way in the countryside and there is an unlocked door to get in through.

I'm definately going to keep it lowkey as this could be a great home and respectful party spot for a while atleast till spring I hope.

going up there again 2morro to propperly check out the inside with a mate.

my friend hannah is a very experienced squatter and she will advise me on the legals of it when stuff starts happening.

I'll post a photo later so you can see how huge this place is.

• wishing you the best of luck mate!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• hope you stay in touch so we can come and visit! :D

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• of course I will and it would be really nice to get a visit from a few of you on here. you can help scrub out the swimming pool so it's ready for spring.

• any room for a little bus? :whistle:

• so great to see you back adn all the best with this....swimming pool eh? gotta hope for a lovely summer then we'll all be there!!! xxx

• I'll let you know when I've worked out the score. there's big metal gates to stop vehicles getting in apart from the people with a small house just off to the side and the person who keeps an eye on the propperty has a house near the entrance inside the gates.

• feck orf! :pp

• cheers for the advice I think I may know who owns the building I think the man may be my fathers solicitor or I may be totally wrong.

Mmhm, I'm not that sure I'd ever squat anything owned by my father's solicitor (if he had one) as your father will most likely end up not having a solicitor as soon as the guy finds out about your involvement! Unless he's a super cool guy that you know you can talk to, in which case it might be better to ask him to use his place rather than squat it.. Squatting generally sends plenty of negative vibes to the owner.. Not least because he will have to shed out a few thousand pounds to get you out of there.. Being a solicitor, if he wants a legal battle, he'll get you out of there in a matter of days.. I've heard about some cases where squatters have not been able to find a legal representative because all lawyers cited "conflict of interests" as a reason for not accepting. They won't easily go against their own kind!

I'll let you know when I've worked out the score. there's big metal gates to stop vehicles getting in apart from the people with a small house just off to the side and the person who keeps an eye on the propperty has a house near the entrance inside the gates.

There is an on-site keeper? That changes quite a few things! You'll have to dig up planning documents before proceeding. If the keeper is technically "residing" at the property, you will not be considered squatters under law, but burglars instead!! The difference is that within minutes you'll find yourselves occupying the inside of a police cell instead of that building.. To squat a building, it HAS to be empty! By definition the "property" has to be empty. If the "property" includes a big piece of land with more than one building on it, I'd think that if one of the buildings is currently in use, then you will not be able to occupy any of the others. You'll have to look this up! Unless the keeper's house is separate, belongs to a different person, has separate land (preferably fenced) and most importantly SEPARATE electrical, gas, phone and water installations (meters), then it doesn't look like it's possible..

One of the reasons people want a keeper on site is exactly that. Legal protection from squatting.

Also, best not put up a picture until you're in it, just in case someone sees it..

Good luck!

• okie doke cheers for the words. I knew it would all be alot more complicated than I originally hoped for but was never under any illusion that it would be easy in anyway at all.

I'll just hope that the owner is a very reasonable man and realises quickly that he could benifit from alot of free labour if he lets the right people in.

• Best of luck really! There's ways to find out who the owner is before squatting, described on the Squatters Handbook.. You could also ask the Squatters Advice service in London. I don't remember the process to tell you now..

I hope it works out! The world will be nicer squatted!

• meeting up with my mate Hannah soon to discuss the potential for taking the building, may leave it untill a few days before NYE and then throw the fattest ever freedom party the area has ever seen in the place.

also went to Bath today and checked out a very nice squat thats been occupied by 5 people at the moment, 4 huge floors in an old office building by victoria park skate park, place is awesome and I may get involved in that doing some music to raise funds for the squatters to buy equipment and materials to raise awareness and look after themselves when they eventually get booted out.

peace everyone please support your local squatters of the non brew crew & ket head variety ...

• peace everyone please support your local squatters of the non brew crew & ket head variety ...

Wish we had some.. :(

All recent attempts have not been too successful unfortunately, the "system" was very quick in responding.. Booted out within a week each time..! I hope we get something new going soon!

Good luck there!

• me and a friend are going to propperly scout the building out in the next few days , check it for electricity and that sort of thing. planning to put on a free party there for NYE .