illness when a single parent

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• excuse the disjointedness i am illl
    need some tips from single parents on how they manage when they are sick, bearing in mind rosie is too young to sit in a playpen for a couple of hours with toys.

i have tried friends, carer etc and they ar all sick themselves or working. i have had the dr out twice to give me pain meds and anti puke drugs but i still feel like death and am still hurling. i am dizzy too which makes me worry i will drop rosie. i am planning to stay on the couch most of the day and sod the mess in the house but its hard. any practical advice?

also how long do you have to not eat b4 your milk dries up ?

sorry about crap explaination i cant stay on long

ta

• :hug:No help i know . I think your milk should be ok for some time. When iv been like that i waited till i was no longer being sick then drank flat lemonde. Sounds odd but it don me the would of good :bighug:

• :hug:

Flat lemonade does help with sickness, I don't know what other advice to give. I have been where you are now... it is horrible. Hope you feel better soon :hug:

• awww i been there - not with one so little but i can empathise :hug: re: milk thing.. try and keep your fluids up honey and when you can manage sommat to eat keep it simple - thumbs up from me too on the flat lemonade or diet coke even :thumbup:

i know rosie is only dinky but explain to her that mummy is poorly and she needs to help you out ...then it will become a useful phrase that she will get to know as she grows up and a useful notion that she needs to help when Mummy is feeling poorly...

Couch sounds like a good plan :) try and sleep lots Rosie will be fine just playing on her back on the flooor or on her tummy whilst you snooze a bit :hug: Hope you feel better soon honey xxxxx

• I don't know Bea, as sometimes it's just been a case of muddling along for me. I'm sorry I can't think of anything helpful to say but it's good to know there are others who are or have been in the same boat, even tho nobody would wish it on anyone else. You know you aren't the only one so you are not alone. You can only do your best and take what support you can.

Kids are more understanding than a lot of adults and if they have love, communication, support and encouragement, that's more important than the parent not being in the best of health or with a disability.

I don't know with the milk, sorry, but with my eldest I just stopped and was a bit sore for a day or two - warm flannels helped.

Don't feel bad about having a rest when you need to. x

• Poor you :hug:

Keep drinking .... worry about food later

Tordisa's right you just muddle through
    Its really scarey but we survive :)
    its where the TV becomes your friend :eek:
    Good to keep a "new" toy or activity in reserve for when you're ill
    and have emergancy food in cupboard (for her and you)

• thanks all. feel a bit better today after meds and food that i didn't puke. rosie amazingly seemed to realise i am not right so was perfectly smiley and fab all day and is now fast asleep. i have arranged something for emergencies with a friend but cannot always guarantee she will be free. yea it is v scary, esp as i am a cripple at the best of times without being ill on top :eek:
    biggest fear is being so ill that i cannot manage her :(

• Hi Bea,

sorry to hear you're so ill. only useful info i can give is on the milk i'm afraid....

with regards to it drying up.....it won't. That bf mums have to drink lots of extra fluid is a myth. You only have to drink to thirst.....tho bf does make you more thirsty. You could eat a diet of choc and chips and your breast milk would still be top notch for Rosie b/cos your body strips itself of the nutrients it needs to produce the milk for baby. When you stop bfeeding (and i know thats not what your doing, just an example) it takes roughly, on average, one week for every feed per day that baby had, for your milk to dry, provided there is no nipple stimulation during that period. so if shes feeding 3 times in 24hrs when you stop bf, it would take about 3 weeks for you to dry out.

as long as she is still getting to feed from you when you are ill, it shouldn't affect your milk at all. Supply does go down fairly quickly but is also easily re-established and if Rosie hadn't been feeding she would want to feed extra to knock supply back up.

Thats a bit long winded. Sorry. Hope it answers your worries tho. ;)

• sam, i cannot offer advice on b/f, but you must use your support neetwork to its fullest when you feel so bad, i just wish i could be closer to offer practical help.
    you are doing brilliantly hun, don't forget that.

big love xxx

• I am not a single parent, but when Izzy was about five months old I was very poorly with a stomach bug while Mr. Mouse was away. Izzy seemed to understand that mummy was poorly... at one point I had to leave her down here on the floor for half an hour while I threw up lots of times, and she just happily sat there and waited. Under normal circumstances there would be no way she'd happily sit by herself for that long, but she knew she needed to and that I'd come back :)

• ok this might come across wrongly *waits for foot in mouth alarm* but do you have a bit of weight on you still from pregnancy? cos thats your store for feeding - like winter says, drink plenty and worry about food when you can stomach it - if you're on the thin side maybe consider (healthily) putting some weight on as a milk reserve for such times (think ray mears - that dude is never skinny!!!)

• sam, i cannot offer advice on b/f, but you must use your support neetwork to its fullest when you feel so bad, i just wish i could be closer to offer practical help.
    you are doing brilliantly hun, don't forget that.

big love xxx

i did... there was nobody free apart from a 2 hrs with a homestart volunteer who was fab, i don;t actually have a v good support network locally. neither will i get one til i can get a car again that i can drive.

ok this might come across wrongly *waits for foot in mouth alarm* but do you have a bit of weight on you still from pregnancy? cos thats your store for feeding - like winter says, drink plenty and worry about food when you can stomach it - if you're on the thin side maybe consider (healthily) putting some weight on as a milk reserve for such times (think ray mears - that dude is never skinny!!!)

i am a strapping wench :D am reassured about the bf thanks :D

• I am not a single parent, but when Izzy was about five months old I was very poorly with a stomach bug while Mr. Mouse was away. Izzy seemed to understand that mummy was poorly... at one point I had to leave her down here on the floor for half an hour while I threw up lots of times, and she just happily sat there and waited. Under normal circumstances there would be no way she'd happily sit by herself for that long, but she knew she needed to and that I'd come back :)

This happend to me PTM when Rue was very small :( I had swine flu and was very ill he was good as gold when i had to rush off ill

• oh babe, you know how i feel about the whole 'support' thing, it angers me greatly. will be there a week today, all yours, if you don't fancy being ill again, plan what you want/need to do while we are there to help. anything you need xxx