a drawing a day

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• i really believe everyone would benefit from doodling about life... it doesnt matter, really doesnt matter if you THINK you cant draw, its the act of putting yourself in a position that could possibly scare you or challenge you, and letting go of "i cant draw" and "im rubbish at drawing" and "its not gonna be as 'good' as..blahs" etc... what IS good?
    once drawn and viewed in a way of the process rather than the final finnished picture, it can be most satisfying, personally for me. ( hasnt always been this way btw) its not what looks "good" or looks realistic, or even to be completely satisfied with what you have done, its the process, journey or letting you do something without judgement, ok i dont think im very "good" at words, but im giving this explaining, in my own opinion, lark a go... i dont actually care if someone thinks im this that or the other...
    i ADORE seeing peoples art. because it comes from them, and i love people. i cant wait to doodle today, when i saw beths and claires pics you both inspired me so much to do my thing, so many people are so inspiring, and can really help you take that step of just doing. i think im in love with the world today, as well as v v emotional!
    umm a post without a doodle! i guess this would be the start of my drawing today :D xxxxxxxxx thankyou xxxxxxxxx

• Some ideas I got from uni I thought I'd add. These are tasks that challenge you to draw in a different way and make you relax and not worry as much about how your drawing will come out because its not supposed to be an exact studdy.

* Use your wrong hand, the hand you dont normally draw with
    *Only draw for 1 minute, 30 seconds, 10 seconds etc. Time yourself and don't let yourself cheat (these drawings are my favourite and work best after you've been studying an object in other drawing techniques)
    *Draw without looking at your paper, only look at the object you're drawing
    *Draw with one long line, don't take your pen off the paper.
    *Draw with a really long stick dipped in ink while your paper is on the floor
    *Draw one simple object for an hour, regardless of how little there is to draw, just keep drawing.

Any of these combinations works really nice as well. Like drawing for only 30 seconds with one long line, or drawing with one long line without looking at your paper.

I quite fancy joining in now. Will post later when I've found my camera :)

• 'ere - 'ang on a minute....let some of us learn to draw first..........:insane:

• great start Jim

I'm really struggling today (not just with drawing lol) I'm sure it's because I'm just having my monthly mental breakdown but I keep making mistakes and I want to rip it up and throw it away or set fire to it :wall:

• Hah - here's my effort.....

My bits and pieces jug at work

are you participating so that you can practise drawing or to procrastinate at work? :p

seriously, seeing as i've never seen you draw once in my whole life, i'm very impressed!

i'm about to start mine now. it's been a busy day.

beth - what you think is messed up and what the rest of us think is messed up is two totally different things! i bet none of us would even notice any mistakes on yours!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Oooh that's fab PTM!

I really hate today's :( I've lost the flow which I had when I did the first few drawings :( ARgh! I can't screw up this soon into my project!

• ARgh! I can't screw up this soon into my project!

That seems a lot like it isn't the point of this, though :confused:

And you know... so you do a drawing today which you don't like as much as the others you did before... that doesn't mean anything beyond simply that. Tomorrow, you might do the most brilliant drawing in the world :shrug:

What is all the writing about? I can't read it, is it like a journal entry from the day, or is it about the objects you have drawn?

• That seems a lot like it isn't the point of this, though :confused:
    And you know... so you do a drawing today which you don't like as much as the others you did before... that doesn't mean anything beyond simply that. Tomorrow, you might do the most brilliant drawing in the world :shrug:

yeh I know. I'm in a PMT strop!:insane: I need chocolate by the kilo!

• You don't need to learn to draw, you already can. Unless you cant hold a pen then you can draw.

Tru dat :thumbup:

I did a lot of those when I was at college, too. Another thing which can be interesting is to draw the spaces between objects rather than the objects themselves.
    With today's drawing, I chose to start it at a different point to the one I would automatically choose... like, my brain immediately said "draw the outline first" but I chose instead to start with one of the holes made by the 'T' strap... so I kind of drew the picture almost backwards to how I normally would.

It's when you do those kinds of things that you notice how much you tend to draw the picture you have in your head - and your expectations of what the end result should be - rather than the object actually in front of you, I think.

• Another one is to draw from a photograph but put the photograph upsidedown! It's confusing but really challenges how your brain thinks

• PTM and beth - i love both your drawings! i am having a can't get out of bed moment, but i am determined i will be turning in a probably not so good drawing before the end of the day!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• All the folk that she forgot sing and dance and watch her rot! Homeless, hopeless, poor and ill, come and drink your fill. "No such thing as society?’ No such thing as Maggie....!

• i love it annie!! :D and now i want chocolate!

• I love this thread.. not done any drawing since last year - had alot emotionally tied up in those drawings and am still inside them so to speak but i do love to doodle i do... feeling inspired possibly :)

• Give it a go Sarah :)
    I would like to see more people join in, especially those who haven't tried to draw before or think they can't. It'd be really interesting to see.

Lovely drawings so far. Tordisa, I really like the tree.

• Thanks v much to stardust for the kick up the arse with this thread.
    Used to draw all the time but am very rusty :o

thank starpoi who inspired it and vampira for suggesting the thread!

am loving your doodle!

and sarah - i would love to see some of your stuff in this thread - it kicks arse! :D

and here is my today....

if you can't read my writing, it is my questions about toothbrushes.

we have three people in this house. why do we have five toothbrushes? do they breed? who do the other toothbrushes belong to? do they talk to eachother at night?

apologies for the bad picture. i think i am going to have to start asking around to see if i can blag a scanner off anyone!

• i don't think they belong to the rabbits. chances are if they feel the same way about teeth brushing as they do about nail clipping we don't have enough protective gear in the world to even contemplate it!

• Gorgeous handwriting stardust. And I really like that drawing!

Here's mine for today.

I looked in the mirror and drew myself. The reason I've drew myself is because my hair is up and I was interested to see how I'd draw myself without my hair down. Also because I've had loads of thoughts, ideas and questions today, mostly about positive things :)

Hoping to get my scanner working soon.