sleeeeeep ( or lack of )

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• A tip for feeding baby while sleeping...
    When my son was a babe we got round this by using a drop side cot, put the cot alongside your bed and remove the drop side. Now push the cot right up beside your mattress so there is no gap. Put baby to sleep in cot, go to bed beside baby. When baby wants fed simply pull baby towards breast and feed. When baby has had enough just push baby back into the cot extension to your bed. When you get used to this method you will find that you do it as automatically that you wont even remember how many times you did it in a given night. :D

• A tip for feeding baby while sleeping...
    When my son was a babe we got round this by using a drop side cot, put the cot alongside your bed and remove the drop side. Now push the cot right up beside your mattress so there is no gap. Put baby to sleep in cot, go to bed beside baby. When baby wants fed simply pull baby towards breast and feed. When baby has had enough just push baby back into the cot extension to your bed. When you get used to this method you will find that you do it as automatically that you wont even remember how many times you did it in a given night. :D

same here - works a charm :D

• thanks all for the advice. seems rosie is teething and also having a growth spurt. my milk supply has increased to heifer levels and i have decided it is too risky imo to introduce solids yet. she is still gaining good weight and currently bang in the mid of the stupid centile chart ( she is 13lbs 6 oz )

she is gnawing her hands a lot but i think that is teething.
    i have got organic baby rice in ready for when we start it. i will go by her ... although the signals are a bit hard to read with growth spurts and teething too.

we co-sleep when upstairs or if i am too ill to climb stairs i sleep on couch and she kips in a moses basket next to me so there is minimal getting up. it hurts to lift her through the night tho so i think going upstairs more may be the answer as we can bed share then. plus it is lovely to see her little smiles as we sleep close :D

i saw the health vis last week and amazingly she was clued up and didnt mention the dreaded formula lol or introducing solids. she just said to carry on as i was and she was deffo teething too. to be fair she has been v supportive of me breastfeeding, although is a little phased by me not wanting to vaccinate but that is another issue :P

any more feedback or ideas welcome.

• well she is still waking very 1.5 - 2 hrs each night for food and yet i have lots of milk. this has been going on for 3 1/2 weeks now.. bloody long growth spurt !
    she is 16 weeks old now . my hv says to give her some baby rice but i am not sure about this. grrr parenting decisions are a nightmare !
    needless to say i am beyond knackered and hobbling about like an old fart.
    i know what you are saying virosa but would it be so wrong to introduce something else? surely not all babies go by the book?

• I've seen you mention a few times that you want to go down the baby led weaning route....i don't see why if you're introducing solids early that you would then give baby rice?

Baby rice was actually only given because it was standard practice to give mush at 12 weeks. Guidelines for intro solids are that baby should be able to sit unaided, which you said shes doing, and be able to hold the food and direct it to her mouth.
    If doing it this way, you can actually just completely miss out purees and mush. It's much more messy but much more fun and better co-ordination and motor skills are learnt by baby.

So if you want to intro solids and see if it helps, then you are her mummy and you know her best. Its up to you to decide what she is ready for. But making one decision doesn't necessarily have to alter others. Strips of papaya or banana are really soft to start with. You could try giving her it as a supper rather than a daytime meal and see if that helps at night.

It is hard to make choices that you were set against, but like you said....not everyone goes by the same book! My wee one was nearly 5 months when he got solids and it broke my heart that i never waited. But he was ready. You'll know when Rosie is. But remember...."food before one, is just for fun!"

Sending many sleepy thoughts to you both!

• I think it's likely that if she is not ready for solids, she won't eat them. If you offer them to her as finger foods, on a high-chair tray (as long as she can sit well unaided) she will have a little try if she wants to, and if she doesn't eat then I'd say she isn't ready... and if she does, then she is! She might just want to play with them a bit until she decides to eat them one day.

I second what Virosa said - Izzy's first foods were banana and sweet potato in chip-shaped pieces, which are nice and easy to hold and eat... and good for her, too :)

• cheers both ptm and virosa.. will ponder some more in a dazed fashion then try her with a bit of banana to play about with. yes would rather do blw than mushy crap :)

• Hi
    This sounds so familiar. My little one has just come out of a growth spurt - which started at 4 mths. My heart goes out to you because I know how hard it can be. At the time I felt like one of those cartoon characters that had been run over by a steam roller!

I am also breast feeding on demand and yes had to go back to the very beginning and just sit and feed. The things I found worked the best were 1) food food food food for me!! We're vegan/veggie and normally eat very healthily but I crammed in loads of calories and felt so much better :D I got weighed and discovered I was a stone lighter than before I was pregnant... so food food food! 2) fresh air 3) lots of hugs for baby and me! 4) lots of really good books to get lost in - and well - all the things everyone has mentioned really.

Wish I'd thought to post for advice - it's all been brilliant. One of the nicest things is to realise you're not alone and baby is behaving like most other babies! (and growth supurts end...) xx

• Stick with it, it will get better. you can start giving baby rice in 3 months (if you want to) and this may give a slight improvement.

I don't want to be harsh but sometimes there is not much to do except suffer it and wait for it to improve. It will get better! I have been there. Our daughter was a bad sleeper until she was about 9 months.

Good luck, there is always change (for good or bad) on the way.

• I've been thinking :eek:
    How is she feeding and sleeping in the day?
    Is she feeding 1 to 2 hrly day and night or just night?
    if it is just nights then need to think what is different for her between day and nights

Do you drink coffee or other caffinated drinks in the evening?

• tea but mainly water or juice in the evening. i may try cutting my caffeine...
    she was better last night. we co slept upstairs rather than me on couch and her in moses basket thingy. she fed about 4 times from 11-5 then got up at 6.30 with me. but the night before was a nightmare. will try cutting caffeine thank you. any other feedback welcome

• i cut my caffeine to decaff stuff and herbal tea with no real change.... we are co-sleeping upstairs every night now so i do not have to keep getting off of the couch to feed her, that has helped me anyway.

i gave her some apple to play with ( tiny but ) and she took my hand off, chewed it, pushed it to the back of her gob and swallowed it :eek: so i will be giving her a tiny bit each morning. this week she has properly learnt control of grabbing things and shoving them in her mouth. she is still feeding every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs a night tho.

• bit of an update. rosie has for the last 2 nights slept much better. the only difference is that she is having teething powders which seem to be working.
    she has been going to be 6.30 and waking about 7.30 for more milk ( that is normal for her for some reason ) then going through until about 11pm when she wakes for milk again. then last night she woke only twice from 11pm - 7 am. as a result i am feeling a bit better.

also i saw a physio yesterday and finally am having work on my spd and knackered back. seems my right side is higher than left ( which i knew but nobody listened to ) and all of my muscles had locked up to try to compensate. the ME has weakened my muscles so that they cannot support my bones properly so will be having physio every 2 weeks. i hurt like a bitch afterwards but feel less sore today and i am walking better. i have to use crutches and a support belt again tho

i am giving rosie fruit and veg and letting her feed herself mainly. she can hold a spoon at 21 weeks ( on sat ) and it scares me !

• she has been going to be 6.30 and waking about 7.30 for more milk ( that is normal for her for some reason )

Izzy does this too... though at 10:30!

Glad things seem to be improving for you and Rosie, and good luck with all the physio - I've been there and it's hard... and that's without having a baby to look after! You can do it, though :cheerlead: