Give us all your money or the forum gets it :p

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Just to give a bit of a warning; I'm not sure whether it'll do any good, but I'm pretty much certain to start experimenting with targeted adverts shortly.

This probably won't affect regular posters (40 posts or more) or those who've made donations, but it will affect guest visitors and those with low post counts.

• How is this working out Paul - I noticed the other day that adverts appeared when I was logged out.
    Is it making money ?

Box.

• How is this working out Paul - I noticed the other day that adverts appeared when I was logged out.
    Is it making money ?

Hardly enough - just under a quid a day thus far when it's active (I've had the account blocked and reactivated three times due to the type of content). It's a pain in the arse playing by their rules so its days are kinda numbered.

• I've removed the Google adsense campaign as of today. It brought in a small amount of cash, but I got a slapped wrist far too many times for breaking the Google TOS.

So, the choice was, climb into bed with Google and accept their almost archaic conditions, which would have meant hiding almost all the contentious content, or commit to being totally autonomous and strive forwards with what we know.

• Good call :thumbup:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I'll certainly donate a wee bit when I am able to (it won't be very much sorry) as this site seems great but I have only been here a day.

• The thing with paypal is, despite all its bad press, it's actually very easy to work with.

For instance, the donations system here was developed by a third party and customised for paypal ... while I could theoretically set up accounts with other payment processors, it would create extra work and wouldn't work with our progress bar.

I'm not ruling it out for the future, but it has been that way for a number of years now.

• I do not think it has changed - I do not have a Pay Pal account and could still donate - although the donation is "handled" via the Pay Pal System.

With Pay Pal there are two options on donating 1 Use a Pay Pal Account. or 2 Pay with a debit or credit card.

ukhippy.jpg

I think you can use most cards via Pay Pal even if you do not have a Pay Pal account as such it is just that Pay Pal process the payment.

-
    -

• I don't use credit, credit cards, debit cards and hardly use banks (or credit unions, building socs or any other grubby money-lenders). However, I do have bitcoin. If you put an address up, I'll send you some (virtual) wonga.

• I don't use credit, credit cards, debit cards and hardly use banks (or credit unions, building socs or any other grubby money-lenders). However, I do have bitcoin. If you put an address up, I'll send you some (virtual) wonga.

I've not looked too much into the bitcoin thing - I don't really understand it, and don't want to learn or install anything new unless it has wide reaching uses and is guaranteed safe.

A bit like Linux I suppose ... all very good in principle, but unless it does everything I want I can't really be arsed.

• I am myself not much more than an occasional visitor to the site st the moment. I'm kinda feeling my way about not just on this site, which I think is great, but in the world of computers too, and the internet.
    So please bear with me, cos as my confidence and knowledge of how things work grows, I'd be happy to donate. Would be happy now but scared I'd do summat wrong lol... As a noobie a standing order would have probably put me off but now, as I get to know what it's all about, I would welcome it. Just food for thought.

• i notice that only £40 out of the £100 for this month has been donated...what impact will that have for the following month ?

Three things could happen:

1. I can cover it from the previous month.
    2. I can pay the shortfall (actually the site still owes me money, but that's cool as I'm used to juggling its finances about).
    3. Worst case scenario the site will close, but that will only happen if there's a consistent shortfall.

• hi paul,

have you considered adding a small Ebay link to the site ?
    i guess you dont want to go down the advertising route,
    but it could be next to the donate button & no major intrusion
    another forum i use gets the majority of its funding from one.

all that happens is people can log onto ebay as normal through the link
    but this site gets a percentage of any fees they then generate through their purchases etc,

its no real inconvenience for people to use it, as i guess 90% plus use ebay anyway
    & i for one would rather see some of ebays charges come here
    & it could solve this problem

just an early morning thought :)

• have you considered adding a small Ebay link to the site ?
    i guess you dont want to go down the advertising route

We did have Google Adsense for a while, but they have so many rules that it was starting to impact on the way I was running the forum. The ebay affiliate thing is something I hadn't considered ... and might be a good idea.

• Three things could happen:

1. I can cover it from the previous month.
    2. I can pay the shortfall (actually the site still owes me money, but that's cool as I'm used to juggling its finances about).
    3. Worst case scenario the site will close, but that will only happen if there's a consistent shortfall.

I'm going to quote this as points 1 and 2 have applied since we moved to a better server about 3 months back.

It's been over two weeks since we received a single penny - in fact, donations have been low for the majority of this year ... and in all honesty it's mostly the same people who contribute.

While I really don't want to apply point 3, if that's the general consensus then so be it.