Passports

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I thought it was just a radio frequency signature....just a number that can be linked to the database file...either way, passport or chip, there's some freaky software being tested on the cctv that links biometrics..profiling lalala....and remember Olly Reed died before he finished filming the final scenes of Gladiator...;)

• Injury added to insult.....

:rolleyes:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• But they are definitely headed for passports between england and ireland even if its not happened yet.Bastards :mad:

Seeing that there is no really defined border between Ireland and the North its is going to be very hard to enforce :rolleyes: but then Northern Ireland is not England are they going to need passports between The North and England?

• fuck me that is ridiculous

Agreed. but we seem to have entered a culture where governments will fine you for any little thing....just another wheeze to raise revenue from the poor public.......:wall:

• You Brits don't realise how easy you have it....
    My hubby is South African (so am I but I cheated because my father's British so I got a passport through him). We've been here 5 years and are now starting to apply for British citizenship for him. Guess how much that pile of paperwork is going to cost us....

• In a similar vein, I've just had to pay the DVLA £20 for the 'priviledge' of renewing the photo on my driving licence. It's not me that decided that I want to change the photo, it's the DVLA who have told me I must do this, but still, I have to pay for it.

EDIT: I mean in a similar vein to having to pay almost 80 quid for a passport, not the cost of applying for British Citizenship

• It's a similar figure just to apply for leave to remain, where until recently it used to be only a few hundred. Once again, a massive price rise that in no way reflects the amount of work they have to do to process it. Tax the citizens loads; tax the foreigners even more. They are bastards! :mad:

• It's a similar figure just to apply for leave to remain, where until recently it used to be only a few hundred. Once again, a massive price rise that in no way reflects the amount of work they have to do to process it. Tax the citizens loads; tax the foreigners even more. They are bastards! :mad:

yip! That's the last one we did. I reckon by the time he has his passport we would have handed over something in the region of 3500 quid in visas. Although to be fair, we've earned a lot more and wouldn't had been able to do so living in south Africa.
    Still the increases seem absurd. Our salaries haven't tripled since we've been here!
    The most ridiculous charge we've had so far was £75 for them to stamp a piece of paper which *we* had filled in to say that grant hasn't yet applied for citizenship. (required by south Africa to retain sa citizenship). This was a free service until April of this year. (I found out about the change on 5 April... Doh!) they literally stamped the form we had filled in and folded it so our address was in the window of an envelope... And charged us £75 for the pleasure!

• Our salaries haven't tripled since we've been here!

Oh come on - you should know by now that inflationary rises don't apply to anything government run........:whistle:

• Of course if you do actually use your passport to travel abroad, you'll most likely be hit by airport tax (Air Passenger Duty) of up to £40, due to rise to up to £85 this year. In my travelling days this was something you only encountered in Third World countries as a means of extracting more hard currency from tourists. In true Neo-Labour style, it's a regressive flat-rate tax that hits the less well off hardest.

My passport runs until 2014 and I really don't know if I'll bother renewing it.

• It is misnomer that you actually need a passport to cross a border.
    I'm not going to post loads of links to prove this point because if you really want to disperse the illusion for yourself then you will be perfectly capable of using the internet to get to the bottom of what a passport actually is.

I'm not going to post loads of links to prove this point because if you really want to disperse the illusion for yourself then you will be perfectly capable of using the internet to get to the bottom of what a passport actually is.

No, don't post loads of links, just tell us about your personal experience of crossing international borders without a passport.

Have you tried getting back into the UK without a passport? And not been introduced to Helga and her snappy gloves :eek:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Of course if you do actually use your passport to travel abroad, you'll most likely be hit by airport tax (Air Passenger Duty) of up to £40, due to rise to up to £85 this year. In my travelling days this was something you only encountered in Third World countries as a means of extracting more hard currency from tourists. In true Neo-Labour style, it's a regressive flat-rate tax that hits the less well off hardest.

To be fair though, they do tend to say that airport tax rises are a response to calls from the public, to tax environmental pollution. Not that the government give a fig about environmental pollution, but if hippies ask for them to do something about curbing air travel expansion, this is a convenient way for them to say they are trying to do that, while they make some extra cash off us all into the bargain.

• No, don't post loads of links, just tell us about your personal experience of crossing international borders without a passport.

I've been through plenty on the continent, but we all know about these. I've left the UK without having to show a passport, don't ask me how, they just never asked for it.
    What I was trying to illuminate with my post is the simple fact that passports and many other documents are not in reality what most people belive them to be, if you think that the outragous exploitation of a documents expense is something that needs descusion then it is worth getting to the bottom of exactly what a passport, or any other document to that matter, is.
    Try it, you will be suprised!

• I've been through plenty on the continent, but we all know about these. I've left the UK without having to show a passport, don't ask me how, they just never asked for it.
    What I was trying to illuminate with my post is the simple fact that passports and many other documents are not in reality what most people belive them to be, if you think that the outragous exploitation of a documents expense is something that needs descusion then it is worth getting to the bottom of exactly what a passport, or any other document to that matter, is.
    Try it, you will be suprised!

Thanks, but I don't plan to try travelling abroad and re-entering the UK without a passport. I've also left the UK without having to show a passport as it happens (on Eurostar), but always had to show one on reaching my destination. I can think of more fun things to do than engaging in academic discussions with immigration officials about the true nature of passports and other documents.

• not sure how European Immigration officials would handle a traveller without a passport but am certain the Canadian/US (especially the US) border guards take a very dim view - yes you may have other evidence that proves you are a citizen and have a "right" to enter, thing is they are so twitchy these days, they have a habit of exercising their "right" to detain you in a holding cell until such time they get to dealing with your file - we hear so many awful stories that we are persuaded to buy the passport, our time is worth the expense, espacially living so close to the US border and crossing once or twice a month - was a time when we could do with a drivers license, but them days are gone

• To be fair though, they do tend to say that airport tax rises are a response to calls from the public, to tax environmental pollution.

Well "they" are talking bollocks....since when does anyone ask for their taxes to be put up....:eek:

• Well "they" are talking bollocks....since when does anyone ask for their taxes to be put up....:eek:

You're right,no one wants the tax rises apart from the government. All I meant was, the government can justify it by saying it is an environmental tax, similar to the rises in vehicle tax for higher fuel-consumption cars. It won't actually stop anyone using the airports though. People who want to travel by air, will do so until it becomes prohibitively expensive, or too much of a ballache. Until that time, they will pay what they are told to pay. i.e., more taxes.